Wednesday, March 31, 2010

17.....3 turned to 110 hours!

My little sister was born when I had just turned 16. Believe it or not, amidst all the turning 16 and teenage angst I am sure I felt, I really remember it. Sadly, I don't remember much of my mother's pregnancy though. Consumed with the world revolving around my teenage life, I am sure (*sigh*) Sorry, Mom!

But this little girl became my shadow and I loved that. I don't remember at what age I asked her how much she loved me and she replied "17!" That was a pretty big number to her back then. You see, my mom and I played the "I love you more than all the......" game a lot. I drove about an hour to the dentist and had braces....we drove a lot...enough said. So, when my little sister was old enough I thought I'd start with her. I was startled and pleased to hear her completely serious answer of "17!" As the years rolled on we added .......3. Too bad I don't remember exactly why. We had a lot of little things we said as terms of endearment. And now that is exactly what they are...terms of endearment ... love!
So you can imagine the heart strings tug within me as Cody turned to me the other day and told me he loved me more than 110 hours! It brought a huge smile to my face, and one much larger to my heart! He is a kid full of such folly. Scott and I were just discussing the other night the follies of a 5 year old. He frolics in EVERYTHING and EVERYTHING is fun and exciting and fast and son on!

Truthfully, I can't believe my baby is 5! Too bad I missed blogging on his EXACT birthday (March 17th) but knew I HAD to do it tonight no matter how tired I was since tomorrow is Kelsey's birthday and I HAD to write about HIS before Kelsey's. Oh....motherhood!

This is the first year that Cody has made the association between St. Patrick's Day and his birthday. The green shamrock means something to him now....his birthday! He wanted shamrock shirts to wear to school for his birthday so I surprised him. The look was precious! And he was excited which made me very happy.

This was a typical birthday for Cody....full of Disney Pixar CARS "stuff." This particular year he got socks and plates and bowls and the like. I wonder if next year might be the first year in many where Lightning McQueen isn't our featured and favorite guest. But no worries, it is fun to have an old stand by as a favorite toy.

Here are some pics of the birthday boy....ON HIS BIRTHDAY even if this post is a couple weeks late.

At school (see his green shamrock shirt he picked out?)....eating the left over green icing from his frosted sugar cookie dinosaurs for his class.
Scott won a DQ Ice Cream cake on the radio....and since Cody's favorite "food" is ice cream it was perfect...Happy Birthday, Cody!His class sang Happy Birthday to him....what a funny experience for me! What a grown up boy!

3 comments:

Nicky and Patrick said...

I loved saying that, but I will have to think about the 3 as well. I can't remember. We can't wait to see you guys and hope you have fun with Pa. Love you!

Lynda said...

What a cute boy! I love you more than all the green frosting eaten on that day! Happy Birthday to Kelsey today.

Mama Mary said...

And I love you more than all the sand on all the beaches in the world. . . thanks to you we also love to play this love you more challenge :>) Heath tells me now ~ I love you more than all the stuff in the world. . . :>) What an awesome tradition! Cute Cody!! Happy belated birthday to Cody AND Kelsey! Think of you SO often. Have a great conference wknd and Happy Easter! Hug Scott and kids for me!