Saturday, December 31, 2011

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Truthfully, as I sit upstairs writing this blog (I promised myself I'd get a Christmas Card out BEFORE the New Year and it's 10:30pm) I can't think of much more at the moment than the happy sounds of my "determined-to-stay-up-to-welcome-in-the-new-year" children downstairs playing.  As I came upstairs to write this (after 2 movies) I told the kids I didn't care what they did as long as they did it together.  Cody's comment, "So if we read a book we have to do it together?"  What a funny kid!

Yeah, haven't gotten around to a Christmas card yet....not that I haven't been thinking about it.  The other night - BEFORE Christmas, for the record - I even went through ALL the pictures I have on Picasa...what a fun experience.  Sadly, I didn't find a family picture that was worth posting...except maybe the one we took the day I returned from Austria (after 36 hours of travel and VERY little sleep)!

So...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the Demers' family to yours!
Hard to sum up a year in just a paragraph about each one of us.  Suffice it to say, this has been a very busy year with lots of travels and such.  We'll start with ...

Scott: Had a GREAT season as St. Anthony High School's soccer coach (again).  He loves this part of his life and puts a whole lot of effort into his team.  They are lucky athlete's to have him as their coach.  Not only is he skilled in the game of soccer, but he truly takes an interest in each one of them.  After they lost their last game (sad way to lose...one of his players missed a penalty kick) he didn't come home for awhile.  I thought maybe he was taking the loss hard, but no...he was at the home of that player that missed the kick helping him to not take it too hard.  Amazing man!  Amazing coach!  And now he coaches our kids' basketball teams.  Basketball is much different than soccer, so I help him with Spencer's ultra competitive age group.  At church he was released as the Mission Leader and is now in the Elder's Quorum Presidency.

Denise: I had an amazing year!  The tender mercies of the Lord flow freely....and I am grateful to be the recipient of so many of them.  I was able to travel abroad to Austria (Czech Republic, Hungary, and Italy) this summer!  Amazing time...and I learned so much.  Hated to be away from my family for so long, but had a great time!  Now I want to someday be able to take my family with me.  I finished my 3rd semester of my PhD and now only have 2 more semesters of coursework, then Prelims, then my dissertation.  Doesn't sound like much, but I know it will be tough.  I just get through by taking it one week at a time, one assignment, one paper at a time!  My biggest accomplishment of this year?  Well, LAST January, during Christmas break, I totally redid our mud room - new paint, tile, and cubbies.  And I JUST finished Jordan's bathroom in the basement...big project!  Glad it is OVER!  I LOVE it!  At church I was released as the Nursery Leader and called as a youth Sunday school teacher.

Jordan (14):  Had a great year playing football and surviving Jr High School.  I really think it is survival.  What a difficult time of life...but he seems to be making it through.  He is in 8th grade and has long since passed me up in height and is quickly gaining on Scott.  He graduated from being called "Denise" when someone calls to the other day someone mistaking him for Scott.  That put a huge smile on his face.  Football and reading continue to be his two most passionate loves (his iPod is right up there too).  He bought it for his birthday this year with all the money he made from detasseling corn this summer - hot and hard job but good money.  He added birthday money and got his dream.  Now he spends time checking all the NFL scores and playing games.  Well, not ALL his time ;)

Spencer (11):  As a 5th grader, Spencer loves mostly to be outside.  He has really gotten into sports more this year than ever before.  He also started playing the sax - which I'm pretty sure isn't his favorite.  Sitting still for an extended period of time has never been his passion.  Instead he "pretty much owns the backyard" (in his own words.  I see so much of me in him at times.  He continues to draw and has a very vivid imagination.  He also has so much energy.  He started running a bit this past Spring, but when I left for Austria that ended.  I think he has a lot of talent and I think he'll get back into it.  But he has found a friend down the street.  Jay is a down's syndrome kid..well, I think he's 21 or 22, but is Spencer's best friend.  He comes over just about every day after school and can be found playing football with Spencer and whoever else will come out and play.  I love to watch them and listen to the laughter as they play together.  It is fun because Jay is Kelsey's teacher's son (Spencer had Mrs B) too as a 3rd grader.  What a fun kid!  I think he may be the most generous and compassionate kid I know.  He still hugs me tight and I like that!  He also has begun to read more than he used to.  It is fun to listen to him read his books to Cody as night.  I do love the less structured life during Christmas break!

Kelsey (8):  Kelsey is 8 going on 18.  I have heard that phrase a million times growing up, and now I know what it means.  I'm pretty sure it has multiple meanings, but Kelsey is very mature for her age and also wants to be older.  I try to tell her to stay young because you can only be a kid once.  I'm sure every mom in the world tells their kids that as they always want to be older.  Kelsey, also, has been into a lot of sports this year.  I think her favorite is basketball, or maybe soccer.  Because I was gone and Scott took the kids to Tennessee and Florida, softball just wasn't in the cards this year.  And though I would LOVE her to have softball as her love (like me) I'm fine with whatever sport she chooses as her favorite.  She excels in school and can often be found "teaching" her dolls or stuffed animals.  She also loves to read.  It used to be that Kelsey would say that I couldn't be her "friend" because I was her "mom," but now I am her best friend and I really enjoy that.  I remember a card I received from Scott's aunt when Kelsey was born, "Today you have a daughter.  In 15 years you'll have a best friend."  I love this part of having a daughter.  I still cringe that I can't do her hair like she would like but she still loves me - hehehehe!  She is sweet and will soon be a great babysitter.  Children love her and that is fun for me to watch.

Cody (6):  Cody amazes me-period!!!  This kids says the funniest things.  He loves to dance around the house and run around playing outside.  He's playing basketball for the first time and really enjoys it.  Mostly we find him playing Wii or with his little Corps guys!  He can read well and his teacher calls him her "Superstar!"  I will forever love his hugs.  He is growing up so fast...the other day he climbed on a chair to hug me tightly.  He was happy that he was just a tad taller than me.  I asked him if he would still hug me when he's taller than me.  His reply, "I'll hug you forever, mama!"  Oh, I love that boy!

Now...our family this year has done many fun things.  The year goes by quickly anymore...and as I stop to go through the pictures it is fun to see the fun experiences we had along the quick trip.  Travels to TN, FL, Austria, UT, and around town.  Sporting events for each child....most Saturdays are filled with one after the other.  School band concerts and programs, trips to the pool...but sadly, no camping this year as a family!  I must stay around this summer!!!!

On a more spiritual note, it has been fun to watch my children grow in the gospel.  As we read and pray as a family I have noticed their prayers change...what a blessing as a parent.  I see their desire to read each night - even though some nights we only read a little.  We know that Christ lives.  I love to see how my children grasp that truth!  We know He loves us and will continue to bless out lives!  These things hold us together and bind our love!  He is the reason for not only the Christmas season, but every season of life....nature's seasons as well as stages and progressions and such.  I am grateful for Him, for each moment I feel His love and receive the blessings He offers so freely.

So, Merry Christmas to all...Happy New Year as well!  I hope that 2012 is even more blessed than 2011 for all!!!  And here's the most recent family pic...today!   (Not our best...but it is of the entire family at one time)

2 comments:

missy said...

Life is good! Glad to hear you are all happy and doing well. It's going to be a great year! :)

Lynda said...

Great picture of the family...some not looking at the camera and Spencer actually holding still long enough for a picture! Every one of them is growing up so fast. I love getting to talk to them on Skype and hear all the happy noise in the background. Love you guys