Awhile back I decided I would write on this blog a little more often and make it a little more short. However, I haven't lived up to that....at all! Not that I don't THINK about it every day-and even write GREAT posts walking on campus or while driving or whatever else I'm doing that is NOT by my computer! So...sadly, those wonderfully eloquent, witty, funny posts are somewhere filed deep in the recesses of my mind, probably never to be retrieved.
And so tonight I will just start from now...and reminisce about some of the last couple weeks but start from where I'm am at THIS very moment.
I'm sitting in a quiet house listening to the dishwasher. Scott took the kids to Dairy Queen for the promised treat if they helped out cleaning up the outside today. And it is done! Weird that ice cream is my all time favorite thing and I didn't even go. It may have something to do with the fact that I cooked a wonderful dinner and since I haven't eaten real food for quite awhile (I eat out way too much at school) I was starved for it and ate ... yeah, a little too much. To not even want ice cream is a miracle. But in return I had my own scoop here at home and got some quiet time....and at least a beginning to this blog post.
The outside - I got home from teaching my CPR/First Aid class this afternoon to find Scott on the mower mulching the leaves in the backyard. Leaves are falling at a rapid pace and when I got home from Carbondale on Friday this is what I found in my backyard.
The trees have needed trimming and they got all the dead limbs needed to be GONE. And they are....and I am happy. Paying people to do things is a wonderful thing. I have always hated paying someone to do something I can do, but trimming the trees is something I CAN'T do. But also I have taken the advice of my friend to pay someone to put my flooring in (I've had the laminate wood in the house for about 4 months now). I got a crazy idea that I would paint and get everything ready for him to come and while I was buying the paint I thought I'd just get someone to do that too. So, Nov 12 the painters come and the 14th the guy comes to put the floor in. I'm excited! It is a HUGE weight off my shoulders...just to try to fit it into my busy schedule.
And for all this I am happy!
Well, such was a great moment to have peace and quiet...but it has since been exchanged for the hustle and bustle of life at the Demers' home. And now it is Sunday afternoon and again I am finally sitting down to write. Today during Sacrament Meeting there was a break in the bearing of testimonies. As I sat there I felt peace. I felt still and quiet. It felt wonderful! I am grateful for times when I can sit and be still, be quiet. It doesn't happen often and all too often I rationalize that I can move move move all around and still be quiet inside. But that just isn't so. I need to learn to be more still, more quiet, less busy all the time. I stood to bear my testimony and felt the Spirit in my heart. As I looked out on the congregation of all my friends I realized that I have never lived anywhere for as long as I have lived in Effingham and the friends I have here have been my constant friends longer than any other. It probably sounded weird coming out of my mouth, but it sure felt strong in my heart. I am grateful for my testimony, for the feeling of love I get when I think of my Father in Heaven and of Jesus Christ and all He does for me.
Last Sunday we had the Primary Program. I remember when we first moved here I was concerned that the congregation would be too small to have Primary programs and that my children would miss out...or that I would not get to sit in the congregation and feel joy in watching my children sing. However, it has been QUITE the contrary. Each Fall the Primary children sing and present a wonderful program. This year was no different. The Theme this year in Primary has been I Can Choose the Right. Each child stood and gave their part and did so well. They sang great too. I am a teacher in Primary so I was on the stand with them helping them along. I was so proud of Cody for memorizing his parts. Last year after the program Spencer was happy that it was his last. Only this year, when they invited him to come back (since he only turned 12 a month ago) he was excited and gladly rejoined the ranks of the Primary to sing and share.
The kids invited our Adopted Grandma and babysitter, Bonnie Starwalt. I'm so happy that she could come and support them. She is a great person and helps to make my kids feel special.
Spencer is an outdoorsman. Last Sunday he spent the day outside...which is pretty typical for him. Here is what he did: Top Left: he made his own spear, Top Right: his cyclops log he made, and Bottom: we made a fire (his favorite).
My drive to Carbondale is getting old. Thankfully I am now riding the train on Mondays. But I still drive on Thursday mornings. Thankfully, the sunrises have been beautiful lately. I do love morning...and the beauty is the ONLY saving grace to driving. This past Thursday (11/1) was absolutely STUNNING, to say the least. While the camera on my phone is pretty good, it really doesn't do it justice.
I got to be HOME for Halloween this year. This made my kids happy...and me too. I enjoy being able to hang out with my kids during fun times. I think Kelsey was most excited this year. She's been planning her FLO (from Progressive) costume for EVER!!! We had a great time putting it together. I broke down and bought Cody a ninja costume....not as many dressing up anymore. My students asked me if I was going to dress up and I had to admit that Halloween just isn't my big holiday. I remember being gung ho when I was a kid, dressing up and taking my pillowcase out to fill with candy. I remember coming home with it FILLED. I even remember one year making a costume that allowed me and my brother to go to each house 3 times...hahaha. We thought we were so sneaky...those adults were so kind to not get angry at us for coming to their house more than once. But our big haul came from the condominiums ... the doors were close together so we could get more candy in less time. But now? Yeah, I'm not so into the holiday. I still make sure my kids get out, but usually with stuff I (or they) make. Scott, on the other hand, is a gung ho Halloween ADDICT. He could dress up EVERY day of the year! So, my students suggested we do something together. While I think that just might be fun, I never seem to have the energy by the time it actually comes. So, characteristic of every year, Scott dressed up (he found a pink little guitar and sombrero to put a fun Mexican dude together - wish I could add the video of him singing, hahaha) with the kids and we headed out. Jordan, who doesn't go trick or treating anymore, was at Driver's Ed (which is scary enough as it is).
Life is good at the Demers' home.
1 comment:
I love that Scott dresses up! The kids will always remember that and carry that special memory of dad forever. You get to be remembered for being the mommy who kissed booboo's, made dinner, took kids to the pool, and a million other great things. So, it's okay that Scott gets Halloween:)
I am glad to see that Bonnie went to Primary to listen to the kids. I know she is missing her grandbabies so thank you for including her.
I hope you enjoy this fall season as you finish out the semester and prepare for the holidays....It's going to be a busy two months!
Post a Comment