Tuesday, July 17, 2018

A Trip Home

Over the weekend of July 8 I took the kids back to Illinois. A friend's daughter returned from her mission and reported on Sunday. Instead of racing up and racing back, we decided to head up on Thursday so we could spend Thursday night, all day Friday, all day Saturday, and then church with friends on Sunday.

The kids hadn't really been back for any length of time since we left four years ago, so the squeals of excitement were incessant from the moment we passed the cross on I-57. We first went down to the old neighborhood to drive through. It was the evening, but still light out. In fact, the weather was perfect...no real humidity even. To hear their excitement was music to my ears...I'm not sure if there is any better sound than my kids laughing in pure joy!

Spencer and Avery got the bikes down and rode through the neighborhood. That is ALL Spencer wanted to do. He wanted to do all the same things he had done while we lived there.

While they were taking their time around the neighborhood, we dropped by the Hoopers. It was so fun to visit with them...just like old times! But sadly, no pics. What was I thinking????

From there I let Spencer drive. His usual racing quickly through the streets slowed to less than the speed limit as he crept through the Effingham streets reminiscing through most of his childhood. Kelsey and Cody were no less excited at the height of the corn, the Park District, Homewood Grill, and downtown Effingham. We FINALLY made it to the Jones' home around 8:30pm. It was so nice to see them. Characteristic to Jill Jones, she had a spread of snacks ready for us. We stayed with them while we were there, which saved us over $200.

Friday morning I got up and walked to the Lake Sara Dam and back. It was gorgeous and the nostalgia of the fields and lake were near mesmerizing. I loved it!!!


Our first stop was Menards. Kelsey remembered playing in the doors...the doors that were for sale. It was her favorite past time whenever we went to Menards. On our way (or on Thursday) Cody had been talking about our babysitters while I was at school. "Remember the nice one? The one we all loved? The tall one...I loved her!" And guess who we ran into at Menards? Yep...Bonnie Starwalt. It was so wonderful....the kids all grown up and Spencer actually taller than her.
Other than seeing Bonnie, it was a typical play time in the store -- just like old times! Avery fits right into our family perfectly!!!

Because I know the family that bought our house, I contacted her and asked if I could bring the kids. They hadn't seen it since we left. What I thought would take 15 minutes took 45. They loved every minute of it....the height chart on the back of the door in the boys' room,
being able to touch the ceiling in the basement, playing in the bathroom closet, the front room, etc, etc, etc. While they frolicking in joy, the new owner showed me a new country song and gave me a tissue. I was literally in tears thinking about my kids growing up (and me too for that matter) in that house. So many things, so many experiences, so much growth, so much happiness, so much sorrow. But what great memories!


What a great experience! I'm grateful we were able to go through it again this many years later...when we miss Effingham, but LOVE Arkansas!

As we were leaving, we drove down the street and low and behold, my great friend, Lisa, was out mowing her yard. She could hardly believe her eyes. Not sure I've seen her in a bunch of years. Each time I go back, she is unavailable. But this time, I let the kids go off and I just spent time visiting with her. It was SOOO much fun...a breath of fresh air that I didn't realize I needed so much. We used to call each other to borrow an egg (or whatever else we needed) and would meet in the middle between our two houses. I love her and am grateful we just pick up where we left off! This was a great trip!!
Another no pic moment, but we spent Friday evening at the Webb's having dinner and catching up. We laughed so hard our heads hurt. It was so much fun to watch Spencer, Kelsey, and Claire cut up and just laugh about everything. We had a blast. Cody had been spending the day with his best Effingham friend, Braden Kiser, and didn't really want to come. But he endured...and then we dropped him back off there to spend the night. He didn't really want to run around seeing things with us, but instead just wanted to play with his friend. So that is what he did....it was great for him. I'm glad he got to have time with his buddy!
Saturday I didn't get up to walk. It was nice to just relax. But Spencer and Avery did go running....and were happy with the weather. Earlier it was only 50 degrees, so the typical drenched in sweat that usually occurs with their running did not happen...and they were happy! Kelsey found solace in reading a book on the back deck in Jill's hanging chair. She loved that. She's not really a reader, but enjoyed this time to relax.
We had seen that the Effingham Swim Team had a meet in Effingham so we wanted to catch the end of it. Only it was a super small one so we got there after it had finished I was sad, but seeing the new facility was great. Cody and the Kiser's were swimming there in the play area and the kids got to visit with Claire again. But not the rest of their friends they would have liked to see at the meet. Oh well. We had borrowed Jill's bike so the three of them took off riding through Effingham. I, on the other hand, just tooled around. I went to the Silk Purse consignment shop then to the Library as I waited for the kids to let me know when they were at Homewood Grill. We used to always ride our bikes there and get ice cream. So this was fun. I met them and we got our typical .... Kelsey even added eyes like when she was a little girl!

After that I met them at the Park District. All Spencer really wanted to do was ride his bike at the skate park. So we did. Kelsey took off around the mall and to Dan Hecht car dealership to reminisce about the times she would ride her bike from our house and just look at the cars. While she was gone, we had a pretty good time....and I had a pretty gnarly fall!

It thought it was a pretty graceful fall...and it was, except the silly lever for the seat post was left open and caught the inside of my leg and I immediately began bleeding. I hobbled to the car, got water and a paper towel to clean it up. The bleeding stopped rather quickly, but it began to hurt pretty bad. Looking at my fat coming out almost made me throw up.
I knew I needed something bigger since it was more than a mere scratch. I called Lisa and ended up at her house again to get doctored up. What an ordeal. But the kids kept riding and having a pretty good time. Kelsey got a snowcone; Spencer and Avery rode down by the horses. This was a good day. They met me at the Pemberton's so we could go to the pool. But then we saw Mrs Borries and Jay so we visited with them for awhile. Jay and Spencer used to be best friends. And I didn't get a pic of them either....WHAT was I thinking?????

Oh the Kluthe Pool!! We spent so many days there ... and the kids couldn't believe it was so small! hahahaha  One time down the slide...and just playing! I'm glad they had a good time.









While they were at the pool, I met Cindy and we visited over dinner then went shopping and just kept visiting. We ended up at the High School football field where the kids were so they could take me back. It was SOOOO much fun to just be with her....I am grateful for her friendship.

Better get this posted or I'll never get it done. Sunday will be my next post! This was SUCH a great trip....great reconnection with great friends and great places!

No comments: