When I was young we used to play this sort of game with my mom. It evolved from the simple truth that no matter WHAT we said my mom would find a song about it, or with that word in it, or whatever! It became a challenge to try to find a word to which my mom COULDN'T find a song about! I am pretty sure we succeeded, but my memory of it says otherwise! She had a song for EVERYTHING under the sun!
My mom was also always humming. I used to ask her about it and she didn't even realize she had been humming. It was usually a hymn (though the songs in the paragraph above weren't always hymns). As we have talked about it since, she related that her mom also hummed all the time. I find it kind of cool that my children now as me the very same question and I answer in quite the same way - not even realizing I am humming usually.
The other day on the way to school Spencer said something....I don't think it was a word or even a phrase that brought the memory from a very long time ago screaming to my mind and out my mouth. "Time passages...buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight!"
What in the world? I don't really even remember that song....or where it got placed somewhere in the recesses of my brain. But....music is powerful and seems to stick longer than known. I did end up googling it and found out that Al Stewart sang it and it came out on an album way back in the dark ages of 1978! Surely I must have been hearing a remake...was I born THAT long ago??? At least that is what my children think!
I laugh at it now....and laugh that I seem to be very much like my mom...humming a hymn or something all the time and pulling random songs out of the recesses of my mind whenever my children say just about ANYTHING.
1 comment:
Humming? I thought those were just voices in my head!
Post a Comment