Sunday, June 26, 2011

FINALLY... Budapest Hungary!!!

A couple weekends ago (June 10-12 to be exact) our class headed to Budapest, Hungary to stay at a health spa on Margit Island for the weekend.  What a beautiful place .... a wonderful weekend getaway! The island was in the middle of the Danube River which separates Buda and Pest and even though it was still in the city, we were super secluded on the island and it made for a very relaxing weekend!  I got up one morning and just walked through the woods.  They had an old ruin of a monastery...it amazes me to walk around things like that and just contemplate how it was back in its full glory.  Sometimes it is hard for me to imagine that real people once walked these same paths and same monastery walkways....in real life!  It was Sunday so my mind was already in contemplate mode...and being in the woods just made it all the more enjoyable!
Ok...onto the details of our adventures in Budapest....I rode the train with Allison Critchet.  Most of the others rode on an earlier train.  They bought their tickets CHEAP on their way back from Prague...we didn't go to Prague so didn't get the same train, but DID get the same price...yeah!
All the while I was thinking... "I hope the others wait for us."  I had NO idea how to get to the Island OR the hotel.  I think it was the best sight E.V.E.R. to see them all waiting when we got there an hour later.  Thankfully Morgan had taken the lead to get directions from the ONLY man there that spoke English in that run down, very OLD, train station  - yeah Morgan!  
So when I got there things were all worked out and all we had to do was get our 72 hour transportation pass and we were on our way.
And the adventures of our weekend in Budapest began right away! We all headed down to the underground station to hop on the train and when the train pulled up we all just laughed because this was seriously the oldest train I have ever seen in my life!  Some of the trains in Vienna are old...they are the ones that are much more hot.  I tend to complain in my head a bit when it is a hot day and one of them pull up ... but this beat ANY old train in Vienna, hands down.  We all hopped on and held on as the old train slowly moved down the track, thankfully we only had one stop to go! Once we arrived at our stop, we headed up to the street to catch our next form of transportation, the above ground tram and this was definitely much nicer than the underground!! Finally we had arrived at Margit Island and were amazed at the beauty that we saw! Nothing but green trees and parks for miles and this was where we were staying! We were in heaven and even opted to walk through the park rather than take the bus to the other side of the island to where our hotel was located.  The first hotel we stopped at was immaculate...the guy just laughed when we tried to check in.  We were obviously NOT in THAT hotel but in the OTHER one.  We kind of wondered what we would be getting into...but were pleasantly surprised once we arrived at our hotel.  We were able to check in easily and headed up to our rooms to drop off our luggage.  Our room was HUGE...with a King bed and then another rolled in one for me.  I let the 3 girls take that big bed and I could sack out by myself.  It was a beautiful room, but I have to say...the other girls lucked out with a balcony and a gorgeous view (beat our view of the parking lot big time).  Later that evening we went shopping in downtown Budapest and then bought our tickets for the Hop On, Hop Off City Bus Tour for the next day.  We decided that this was the best way for us to see the city, as it is very spread out, and then headed to Arriba’s Mexican Restaurant for some yummy Mexican food!  I had been starved of Mexican food and was very happy to have something that remotely tasted like home!  And the burritos stood on end BY THEMSELVES...how cool is THAT!!!  We had a great time at Arriba’s  and then went swimming in the mineral pools at the Health Spa after stopping at the grocery store. 
The next day we got up early and headed out to the Hop on Hop Off tour and saw everything Budapest had to offer in one day! The bus was great because we had an English Guide with really sweet headphones and got to see seriously everything! We went to the Opera House, Jozsef Nador Ter, Parliament, The Castle District, The Monument of Shoes, The Citadel, Heroes Square, The Funicular, St. Stephen’s Basilica and more! And then later that evening we hopped on our river boat cruise and enjoyed the views of the city at night!  Our dinner was at the Columbus Pub...there was a free beer coupon so that was the stop.  I laughed and laughed...they get a HUGE glass of beer for FREE and I pay 2.50 for a measly bottle of water...that I rationed very wisely...only to fill my water bottle up in the bathroom after dinner and down the ENTIRE thing.  I am NOT used to paying for water and getting such a little amount.  Scott and I usually get multiple glasses even before our dinner arrives!  Oh well...
We had a couple hours after dinner at Columbus Pub on the Danube River and so Katie, Morgan and I went to visit the Basilica again and then went shopping.  It was getting dark outside which meant that it was getting colder.  Our first day was a bit chilly so I thought I might need to buy a hoodie...but....was fine...until this night on the boat!  It was FREEZING!!  Morgan did buy a hoodie and wasn't NEAR as cold as Katie and me.  We also did some souvenir shopping.  Katie got a killer deal…2 shot glasses for the price of 3! (She dropped one and it broke! Oops!) and ate delicious gelato in our yummy cones.  Ice cream is the way to go....too bad the scoops are so very very small.  We had to laugh because if you ask for a taste of a certain flavor over here they flat out tell you NO.  We don’t know what to say back to them so it is a guessing game for people like Morgan who like to try something new each time.  I, on the other hand, can pretty much know that my chocolate (with a berry mix has been my standby here in Europe) is going to be A ok!
Saturday was a long but great day!  I enjoyed seeing the city via the hop on, hop off bus!  We saw a lot of fun things and even got to eat some typical Hungarian food...or at least I did.  We were at a little carnival type thing and everyone was hungry.  No one could make a decision so Morgan, Katie and I just went to a place making who knows what.  The guy told us what they were....and we just picked.  I picked the Hungarian one and it was pretty good!
It doesn't look nearly as good as it tasted...
The carnival was pretty cool too.  I have been struggling on what to get for Cody while I am here.  I finally found it!!!  I got a pic with some Star Wars characters.  Right now he is totally into Star Wars on the Wii...heck, anywhere.  So...I didn't have to spend a dime for THIS sounvenir!
There was also this fried potato chip thingy on a stick.  They would put a potato on a slicer that would slice it like a slinky!  He would then pull it down the stick and fry it up...then add whatever spice you would like.  I totally loved seeing it made....simple pleasures for me!  The guy let us taste one and that was enough.  They were good but VERY greasy!
Sunday was a great day for me.  I got up early and took a walk and studied my scriptures in the park...in the woods.  The closest church was outside the city so I opted for the woods instead of spending ALL my money on a cab ride and back.  It was nowhere near like BEING at church, but I had my own little song ("The Golden Plates" had been running through my head all morning so that was it) and prayer and topic of study.  I am grateful for nature and its peace, it's ability to help ground me in life, to help me understand things better.  I studied strength....I love receiving strength from my Father in Heaven and from the Lord, Jesus Christ.  Truthfully, I don't think I could make it ANYWHERE in this life without them.  Actually, I KNOW I couldn't.  As I read and contemplated that morning in the woods I thought about the strenghts and virtues that we speak about in class.  They ALL come from God - not us!  I do believe that experiences bring out or improve strengths, but not produce them.  I'm thankful that I know that with God NOTHING is impossible.  It was nice to spend some quiet time alone pondering the things that are most important to me.

While in Budapest I thought of my family a lot!  It just so happened that was the weekend they couldn't get skype either....so in my quiet times in the woods I thought of all the happy times I have with them.  I thought of walking in the woods with THEM and how they would LOVE where I am.  The park in the afternoon was packed with families .... which was nice to see, but I also missed being with MY family then too.

We didn’t want to head into the city until we were ready to leave for the train station but some of the other girls wanted to head in and shop so we told them we would meet them at Arriba’s for a farewell burrito before we got on the train.  We figured we better eat there again since we all loved it and who knew when the next time would be that we would get Mexican food so it was a great idea! For those of us who stayed on the island, we got to learn Tai Chi with our professor Karol, did some mindful walking, walked through the carnival on the island (it was NICE to see so many families out in the park just playing, eating, and hanging out.  No matter where in the world I go, families exist and all stand for the same things.  It was nice for me...but made me miss my family more) and relaxed and read for a bit in the park.  Needless to say, it was a great, relaxing day and we had a great time in Budapest!! 

Here are a lot of the pics...too many to post ALL of them.  I was a bit camera happy trying to get JUST the right photo!  So, hopefully this captures the best of the best!
One of the bridges at night...
Our island...
The OTHER girls balcony...
This is now a concert place on the island...it was cool!
And now just random pics of Budapest...


Hero Square...
with our group...
Ali, Bailey, Katie, Kristin, Courtney, Morgan, Karol (director), Sandra (teacher), me







Just a cool bunch of cars hanging out in the water...
In this little lake there were random items floating...I thought it was pretty cool

Like a house...
Morgan, Katie, Bailey, Courtney, Kristin
Add me...minus Morgan






Our decision for a quick lunch...we wanted something Hungarian and authentic...we got it!

 
 
Morgan and Katie on the hop on, hop off bus...

and me...


up at the castle...where I paid $1 to go to the bathroom and another bunch just to walk up for the nice view...



paying for the bathroom is a hoot to me...

Katie, Bailey, Kristin, Me overlooking the Pest side of Budapest...





Parliament...






This was a tribute to the Jews...they lined them all up and shot them and then dumped their bodies in the Danube River.  It was a moving and sad experience for me...all the shoes representing REAL people....






Their Statue of Liberty...with an olive branch symbolizing peace raised above her head...


Katie and me at dinner...we shared a GREAT salad!

St. Stephens Basilica...




Ice cream! Ice cream!  Ice cream EVERYWHERE!

My night shots...I totally went camera happy and don't want to edit it to ONLY the best one...so all of them are included for your viewing pleasure.  Even though our boat ride was TOTALLY freezing the view of the city at night was gorgeous!












Morgan, Katie and me on our boat tour





All in all, Budapest was a great time!  Loved being there and seeing the cool sights.

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Amazing!!! I'm green with envy.