Sunday, June 19, 2011

Just another couple days in Paradise!

I had to use that title for this post....the view from the lookout tower I hiked a million miles to see (after walking a few million earlier in the day) says it all!

We got up there JUST as the sun was setting enough to get a great picture...so Morgan termed the photo "Another Day in Paradise!"  And that is just what it was!

From the tower (which is kind of taking the day backwards, but it will all make sense in the end) we could see ALL of Vienna and even into Slovakia (I think).  As with everything in life, the more work it takes, the better it is.  And this was NO exception!  We could even see where I live!!!!
And now on to the adventures of the last couple days with Morgan and Katie!

DAY #1 of our 2 Day Adventures - KLOSTERNEUBURG

Thursday we met up and headed just a little north-ish of Vienna to a sort of suburb of Vienna!  If it wasn't for the mountain in between the two communities would be ONE.  The day was FABULOUS...but I have to say, it was the little things that made it the best!

We got off the train with no directions and just headed in the direction we thought until we saw signs.  Why is it that EVERYTHING we want to see is UPHILL???  It just makes me laugh...and on we walk.  We were heading to the old Augustine Chorister's Monastery.  It was pretty cool, I must say.

 
 

We walked around searching for where to buy tickets for a tour.  We found the entrance to the IMPERIAL TOUR.  A huge red carpeted staircase beckoned us upward.  The doors opened automatically so we couldn't let this photo op pass us by.
 
The guy at the top, of course, asked for tickets and then politely showed us where to go to get them.  Champion cashier for me....she let ME, an over 27 year old student, have the student discount since I had my student ID card!  Usually I run into them looking me over - apparently I DON'T look 27 anymore!  I'm not quite sure how to take this....but I suppose I am glad that I have some years and wisdom behind me!  Heck, I got MARRIED at 27....LOTS has happened in the last 16 years!

So with headphone attached (some of us had them attached correctly - the rest boomed the tour through the rooms making a distinct echo...hehehehehe) off we went.  The base of our headphones even had a little screen to play photos for us too...which helped us to know which room we were hearing about.
Yeah...I pretty much would feel out of place eating in this room
I'd have to sit all by myself....without ANY room for anyone else...but of course, I'm sure that is what they wanted here
 
 
I do have to admit...the ceiling in the entry room was pretty sweet!

This guy, think his name was Karl VI or something, thought he was ALL THAT!  Decorated the place in such a fashion...but Napoleon did show up for 30 minutes at the place, so....
The tour was pretty cool.  All the rooms kind of went in a line, with sleeping quarters off of them (I think).  My steel trap of a brain can't remember EVERY detail here!  But it was fun.

Then it was off to find lunch.  Characteristic of the three of us...we walk by one and then walk around and around until we come back to that first one!  No worries, that is what makes the day fun (or one of the things at least).  And the menus were ONLY in German.  This was going to be fun.  Our waitress kind of chuckled and then translated for us.  I have to say, it was the BEST schnitzel that I've EVER had....filled with cheese and spinach!
After lunch was the wine tour....how they make it and then wine tasting.  Don't worry...they had apple juice for the children (me included!)  Seeing how it is made it pretty fascinating.  We descended down and down into the cellar.  Sadly, only Morgan got pics of me...so I'll add those later.  I had to say I was actually there even though I don't drink wine!  It's a pretty big thing here....especially because they grow the grapes HERE and all the production is from their own vineyards that have been there for hundreds of years!  It WAS cool!

As we left we could see some vineyards up the hill from where we were.  We wanted a pic so off we went....but never got to a great place before deciding we needed to head back DOWN to the train station.

And off we went....to the train station.

When we got back we HAD to have some ice cream...so Schwedensplatz it was, to the same place again.  I ought to branch out and try something new, but ... never do.  Oh well...at least I enjoy it!  Morgan and Katie took me back to show me their 'flat' and then we hiked up to the lookout point - as if I hadn't already walked 10 miles that day.  I SHOULD have brought a pedometer to see just how far I walk each day.

The HIKE was well worth it....of course, we let Morgan run up the steep part ahead to see just how far we still had to go.  Katie's knee has been bothering her and well, I really have no excuse except being more out of shape than I would like.  I do keep up though (mostly) and don't quit!

From the top....we could see all of Vienna AND that beautiful sunset from above.  I showed them (from the lookout point) where I live while here in Vienna.  It was  a GREAT time.  I think Morgan also has the pic of the three of us that I will have to get LATER again. :)   (hint, hint!)

It was a fitting end to a wonderful day!  I rode the underground home and had time to process and think about what a great time it was. 

I tell you, even though we go to see BIG things, it is the seemingly SMALL things that may appear to make little difference that are the STANDOUTS of the great day - they MAKE the day the fun that it is.  Lucky am I to have 2 great new friends to spend fun adventures with!

So...here is my list of the SMALL things that made ALL the difference.
  • sprinting up the stairs two at a time because we hear a train (of course we had NO idea what time the train would be coming to pick us up....we didn't plan that far ahead), only to reach the top and realize it is a freight train.  This, I think, is my ALL time favorite "small" part of the day - the rest are not in any chronological or hierarchical order.
  • the STUPID mind game via MORGAN that we played while waiting for the train.  It was actually pretty cool....BOOM BOOM...but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me.  It reminds me a lot of My Aunt Mable or I'm going on a trip and bringing...  Getting it usually means NOT paying attention to the thing that SEEMS to be the important part.  I laughed til I cried....and still had to be told the answer!
  • Telling stories with friends
  • Sprinting to catch the bus on the hike DOWN from lookout point so we didn't have to WALK the entire way (we seem to do a lot of sprinting) then having to figure out where we are in relation to the underground station
  • Schnitzel with spinach and cheese inside (but sitting in the sun...NOT my favorite part of lunch)
  • THREE tastes of apple juice...not a single buzz for me!  I will remain the DW here (the Designated Walker - now if only I always knew exactly where we were going and never got lost)
  • LAUGHING til I cry with great friends
  • NOT letting Katie throw her chocolate bar away.  You see, Katie loves her chocolate as much as I do.  She bought a new flavor and it wasn't so good.  So she was going to throw it away....both Morgan and I shouted NO!  Why?  why would WE, who have NO interest in the chocolate bar, even care??  Who knows...but it made the "small parts of the day that MADE the day" list
  • Looking forward to 3 scoops of ice cream - my eyes are STILL bigger than my stomach, even when NOT already full (at Castelletos - or something close to that name - near the Schwedensplatz stop)
  • Riding EVERY underground line in ONE DAY!
  • Feeling comfortable with friends
DAY #2 of our 2 Day Adventures - LAXENBURG, SEEGROTTE HINTERBRUHL, and BURG LIECHTENSTEIN

Friday I got up early after scouting out where we were heading late into the night before.  I was just excited...I LOVE castles!  When I was getting breakfast Esther walked in.  I was surprised to see her (she isn't usually a morning person) and she was surprised to see me.  She laughed when I told her I was leaving early to meet friends to go to yet another castle.  "You and your castles!" she laughed!  When she asked if I knew how to get where I was going she just chuckled again and called me a "provie."  What in the world is a "provie?"  In America we would say we're a PRO...but not here....and she laughed again.  I love Esther...she is the BEST hostmum EVER.  And last night (June 18) Esther even told me I was more a pro at these castles than she is! 

Anyway, I digress!

We found our train and were off to Modling!  From there we hopped on a bus to Laxenburg to see the castle.  I have to say, the park was pretty awesome.  It better be if I am paying 1.80 euros just to walk in!  It was not a park with playgrounds and all that, but a park with woods and trails and the beauty of nature!  I loved it!!!

 
 
 
The castle was cool too.  It was set on a lake...we had to take a little ferry to get there (.50 euro later).  It wasn't a big castle but it was still neat.  We had planned on taking a tour but the funny cashier just sat and talked on the phone the entire time.  When I went to ask about it she wanted us to pay like 9 euro but their English headphones weren't working so we needed to pay another 4.50 for an English pamphlet.  Seeing the OUTSIDE was good enough for us!  Here is the Laxenburg Castle...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This whole park is a Sunday outing place for a lot of the Viennese.  The Old Castle (Altes Schloss) was built in 1381 by Duke Albrecht III as his summer residence.  My summer residence is a 14X14 vacation cottage - called a TENT!

Instead of taking the ferry back we walked around the back.  I thought about what the people must have been like when they really lived at the castle.  One tree was pretty menacing looking....probably the "scary tree" for the kids.  And it reminded me of some of the medieval movies I see...and horses riding up through the woods to the castle.  I think about funny things sometimes...but it was really cool.  I explored into some rock outcroppings and just had fun exploring and seeing the cool-ness of it all!
 
 
 
From there we headed BACK to Modling to catch a bus to Seegrotte Hinterbruhl...try to say THAT!  Yeah, I couldn't either.  Again we got to the ticket lady and this time we got a nice one. Sometimes they aren't so keen on clueless people, I don't think.  I ask a lot of questions so I completely understand....I do that in America too.  I guess people here are the same as people at home...some are nice and some are not.  I have gotten my share of NOT SO NICE ones here.  But I can't stop there.  I have gotten my share of REALLY REALLY nice people too.  Like the lady on the bus from Modling to Seegrotte Hinterbruhl.  So many of the bus drivers in that town didn't speak English (especially the one that seemed to tell us that we needed to speak GERMAN!!!!).  When I asked, just jokingly, before we even got ON the bus this lady heard me and just took over...she asked the bus driver everything and made sure we got off at the right place.  Nice people do exist!!!

Before we took the bus to our next stop we needed FOOD.  Day #2 of our Adventures proved to be Day #2 of a GREAT lunch.  No pics this time...but it was Chinese and really tasty.  My favorite part was the FREE water!  NEVER since I have been here have I gotten free water.  I usually pay this huge price (well, not so huge but a lot in comparison to what I am used to at home) for a very small bottle of water.  I found out last night when telling Esther about it that I need to talk a lot more...ask for PURE water, NO BOTTLE, out of the tap!  The conversation got started because when I ask for water they always ask me, "with or without gas!"  It ALWAYS throws me for a loop and I get caught off guard and don't have anything to say.  I just say without ... which means I don't want the sparkling type water.

After lunch we were off...with the nice nice nice lady to help us get to the right place.  We did and it was FASCINATING to say the least.  Fodor (my handy dandy guide book) doesn't say much about it other than it is a "fascinating but now somewhat commercialized sea, created years ago when a mine filled with water."  How vague is THAT!  Our German tour told us more...thanks to our little English pamphlet that was FREE!  It is actually the largest subterranean lake in Europe - does Europe have a lot of these underground waterways, I wonder?  This lake grotto was formerly a gypsum mine, and is spread out over three levels.  From 1848 to 1912, gray and red gypsum was mined and used as agricultural fertilizer....but was shut down when 20,000,000 liters of water flooded the lowest level.  It is huge down there...and cold!  9 degrees Celsius or 48 degrees Fahrenheit.  We were the ONLY ones without a coat...and needless to say, yes, we were the ONLY ones freezing! 

Many of the 2000 workers in the mine were prisoners from concentration camps.  THAT makes me sad...the whole concentration camp, hate the Jews thing makes me sad.  But, they worked down there and built the first jet plane, the He 162 - a model is even on display there.  If the tour had been just a little bit in English it would have been a lot more enjoyable!  But I did enjoy it.  I have to admit though, that walking the little tunnel down there made me a little nervous...I HATE closed in spaces!  Thankfully it opened into a very LARGE (with plenty of breathing room) area!

The boat ride was cool too.  By this time I was done with the German talking since I understood NOTHING. I wanted to know what he was saying but didn't have a little guide to help me along the way.  He made a joke and everyone laughed.  I, just being dumb, started laughing.  The lady next to me noticed and began to explain in English what it was all about.  The joke was about the red light and it would tell what kids were naughty and which were nice.  It was funny...but she helped me along the rest of the way (the remaining 3 minutes).  "It's just boring stuff about war and the water and such!"  I laughed!
The outside map of the whole thing...
 that crazy tunnel...glad it didn't get ANY smaller!
 The three of us....
 Our German guide in all his glory...and a not so good shot of the water...
 on the boat...
 the He 162 that was built in the mine....or at least a model of it...
 water...
 Ok...so I was going to take a pic of myself and hopefully get the water too.  This is about the EXACT time the lady next to me leaned over to tell me more...and I just started laughing...
Every ticket agent in Modling had little to no clue what I was talking about when I asked about Burg Liechtenstein!  I even showed them in Fodor, my handy dandy guide book, so they could read it just in case my German isn't so good!  Still, no luck.

But when we got out of the boat tour and asked they smiled and pointed UP!  It was on the top of the hill-ish type 'mountain' we were at the base of!  So...UP we went!  I was SO excited I could hardly handle it.  Like I said, I LOVE castles!  And it was WELL worth the hike!  The ONLY downfall was the we got there at 4:30 and it closed at 4:00!  Oh well...we walked around and took some pictures.  Because it is set on the side of the hill we couldn't walk far.
on the walk up...beautiful...
 
 
 our first look of this imposing medieval castle set formidably on a crag overlooking the Vienna woods....it is 800 years old...or at least has withstood marauding invaders for that long...
 
 
 Morgan and me...
 Morgan, Katie, and me...
 
 just more views on our way back down...can't miss a beautiful view...
Sadly, we missed Fodor's "not to be missed" Tower Room, with its 13th century red Italian marble fireplace and carved wooden spiral staircase.  Truly that would be a site NOT TO BE MISSED!  But...the real NOT TO BE MISSED part would be seeing that the Tower Room was the last refuge in case of an attack and being able to see where boiling water and refuse would be poured on the attackers!  Summer concerts are held here now.  And down the road just a little bit further was a nice park for family gatherings.  Can you imagine that...a day at the park by the HUGE castle!

We found our way back...tried a bus stop and it actually got us to where we were going.  Happy Day!

Another great day - that is for sure!  I love adventures, especially to see castles...especially with friends to share it with.

No comments: