Saturday, January 21, 2012

Grandma Moen

It is funny to me how things enter the mind and roll around there for awhile.  It is equally as interesting to me HOW they get there in the first place....when a certain person or topic or whatever hasn't been there in a LONG time. 

Out of the blue today on my way to make some copies my Grandma Moen popped into my mind....big time!  Lately I have been doing some home refinance stuff, so Moen has been on my mind.  Also I have been on the library's website where I found that they are now subscribed to Ancestry.com.  Those two things are the ONLY things I can think of that would make Grandma slam into my blank mind today.

But I'm glad she did!

I have been thinking of making a Family Tree type activity or game for my family.  We live far away from most of our extended family so my kids don't know everyone that well.  So I was going to get pics of grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins, etc and make a matching game of some sort.  Yeah, pretty ambitious on the first week of school for me.  But I want to do it ... so I will.  It may take awhile, but I will get it done.

So, as I was driving Grandma Moen slammed into my conscious thought.  I began thinking about her and the things about me that are like her.  I laugh at her beastly headaches...or used to anyway.  Now I understand!  I remember my mom telling me that Grandma used to be big into scouting and would go on their hikes all the time.  My kids don't even know my Grandma, nor do my youngest brother and sister really.  But she was a go getter and could do just about anything and just kept on going and going and getting more and more done.  Or at least that is what is in my mind.

I wondered if I am like that and if I could have gotten some of my get up and go, get things done attitude from her.  I found myself feeling sad that I can't talk to her during my married motherhood stage of life when I'm sure her wisdom could help....or at least her words. 

I don't know that she could solve anything or everything, but I miss her....sometimes a lot....like now.  I remember a long time ago (pre-Spencer) standing at the sink cutting strawberries for strawberry jam and thinking of her, wondering about how fun it would be to make strawberry jam with her. 

I'm sad at times that I can't still talk to her, but grateful that I know that I can and WILL see her again.  Hopefully I'll still remember all the questions.  But most likely I won't need the answers anymore.  I'll just be glad to see her and talk with her again.

Memories are fond.  I love my Grandma Moen!

2 comments:

Lynda said...

I miss her a lot too. Sometimes, especially while I am working on a quilt, I think she would really love to see this.

Anonymous said...

She sounds just like you!

I love that idea for a family matching game. I should do that too...