When I was younger we used to bug my mom about losing her memory! It was an often occurrence and we joked about her senility. However, she told us that Grandma was just like it and soon I'd be like it too - only she joked that I would hit that senile spot much earlier and thus endure the torment much longer. I laughed thinking (at that young and immature age) that I would NEVER lose my mind.
Sadly, whether or not it is EARLIER than my mom's momentary lapses in memory, I do suffer from such a plight! Last week was horrible, more horrible than usual. I have been telling my Sunday School class EVERY week that I would bring them treats. So I FINALLY remembered to buy them and them promptly left them at home.
Monday I was taking Kelsey's coat to the cleaners...another story there. When I dropped it off I knew I'd be picking up a shirt. The man asked if I was related to a Scott Demers. I told him he was my husband. Evidently he had put something in a long time ago and forgotten. I mentally went through his suits and shirts and couldn't find one missing from his closet. So you can imagine the sheer surprise when the man brought out a red sweater and shirt. Yeah, I had been searching for that red sweater all throughout the holidays. Now I know why I couldn't find it. I read the tag....I had put it in on April 1st! Boy....I've REALLY lost it.
Surely it can't get any worse!
Then as I drove to Carbondale on Tuesday I was being followed by a cop. I'm a pretty fast driver, but though I may suffer momentary lapses in memory, I am not stupid enough to speed through town with a cop right behind me. Still he pulled me over. "Do you know why I pulled you over, ma'am?" I didn't have the slightest idea. "Did you know you have an expired registration?" I also didn't know that - though I could faintly remember somewhere in the back of my brain that it was due. So when I replied, "No, how long ago?" and his response was "November 30th" you can imagine that I about lost it (on the inside). Surely this isn't a permanent state of being for me. Surely I can improve!
Forgetting words or dates or silly things is no big deal. But these sorts of brain lapses...not so great! Maybe I'm in true need of some Focus Factor! (or a lot of sleep and LESS on my plate)
4 comments:
I think it's more likely stress and having too many things to worry about. The more I have on my plate, the more often I forget things like this.
I have the perfect solution for us both--we need personal assistants who will take care of appointments and bills and laundry. You know, like we do for our husbands...
I agree with Patty. You do remember my favorite saying...."Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!" My favorite saying now is, "Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!" That's why my neighbors are always seeing me out in the street dancing. Love you (this is my #1 daughter, right?)
Oh, well! Best two words for mental health.
Reminds me of the time I searched the house for my diaper bag only to find it was on my shoulder. Or the time I washed water (forgot to put the clothes in the washing machine.) Or there was the time our whole family packed up and went to the park -- only we forgot Sterling. Has anyone seen my brain? I swear it was here just a minute ago...
Post a Comment