Friday, October 5, 2012

Swimming Against the Tide-What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

This is where I spend my Friday mornings from 6:30-7:00 am! I know...a CRAZY time, but it is fun. I have a friend from school and we are "training" (hahahaha) or like the man in the same lane commented today, "It is cheaper than therapy!" Ya, we get some swimming in and a lot of talking! Just the way I like it.

Anyway, at that time in the morning the SIUC Swim team is practicing. I 'm not gonna lie - it's a bit intimidating, but we persist in lane one. I used to think when I watched the Olympics that lane 1 was a good place to be so that all the waves the other swimmers make aren't affecting you. I was sorely wrong I have learned...through experience! The waves knock against the side of the pool and pull you inward! Yeah...it is total training more so than the the mere swimming (which is more than enough for me). So we decided it was good for us...training for a mini-triathalon in April where LOTS of waves will be coming at us.

On our way out I mentioned to the swim coach that we'd like some of those round things they put on their hands while they swim - it propels them through the water faster like flippers. He gave me a look like "Are you sure?" Then he proceeded to tell us it was a trade-off! You may go faster but the surface area of the water you are pulling is greater and therefore taxes your muscles more. I graciously declined knowing the strength of my own muscles.

But it caused me to think about hard things. Anything hard makes you tougher. Truly, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Pulling, or pushing, or working, against a force makes you stronger....in life as much as in the pool, or gym, or weight room, or wherever! When things seem hardest is just when they begin to get easier (or so I am told - hahhaha. But really ... I DO believe that).

I memorized one of my favorite poems on my mission - Don't Quit - that has a line about when things seems the worst...when you're hardest hit!

DON'T QUIT
When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.
 Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
You may succeed with another blow.
 Often the goal is nearer than,
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor's cup,
And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.
Success is failure turned inside out--
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.
- Author unknown

I love thinking about these things. I love finding a way to make every experience a learning experience. Hopefully this lesson stays with me a LONG time!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love, love, love that poem Denise! Thanks for sharing. It instantly made me think of the Johnson's and the big battle they are facing. Maybe it would be nice for you to share it with them. PS. I heard about the beautiful thing they did at the St. A game for Luke. Tell Scott I thought it was incredible!
I hope you are doing well.
Cat

Unknown said...

I forgot to tell you that you are absolutely nuts about the swimming thing. First, that is WAY too early. Second, it's swimming (I would drown). Third, it's WAY TOO EARLY! hehehe

Lynda said...

A mini-triathlon? Really Denise??? More power to you. Besides I know anything you try to do ... you do! Love that about you. Great pictures of Jordan's dance. Love the one where he is looking right at the camera defying you to take a picture of him. Fun kid. Love you all.