Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sunday Afternoon

A few weeks ago Elder Nelson left for home...I enjoy having the missionaries over, and especially love to send them off...home! My uncle Ed, Elder Ed Brown, wrote an article for the Ensign once about coming home from a mission. I give it to each missionary as they embark on a far more difficult journey than entering the mission field. We usually talk of their fears and concerns, and all the great mission experiences....I love to see in each of them the love they have for their missions, for the work of the Lord, and for Jesus Christ. It is evident in how they go home. It is usually a tender moment - if only for me.

Well, imagine my surprise when walking into church today I see (former) Elder Nelson and his family. After a wonderful Stake Conference filled with the Spirit of hastening the work of the Lord, we invited them all over for dinner. We invited the missionaries too....hence, E Dingman got to hang out with his trainer!

What a FUN afternoon. It is always fun to meet the families of great missionaries...to see how they are like their dad (Elder Nelson - Isaac now) talks like his dad, his facial expressions and movements are just like his dad too. I love to see their sweet moms and I cry just a little as I imagine the families my children will one day sit and eat with. I imagine the love those families will have for my children and I shed a tear - like now - and so...meeting the Nelson's was so much fun.  I love to see the love the missionaries have for their siblings and just how much they LOVE sharing their mission life with their families.

It brings my own mission close to home. My dreamer of a dad (I love that about him) wanted to come pick me up and we would drive from eastern Canada through the southern parts of each province until we made it to the west side...and then down to Utah.  That didn't happen, but I imagine when I see missionaries families what it would have been like to share my mission areas and families and friends with my family! Hard to find the word to explain that feeling.

I loved watching E Dingman and his former companion interact. How I would have loved to have my trainer come back to see me. I loved watching and interacting and experiencing ALL of it. I loved sharing spiritual stories and funny experiences that only missionaries have. I loved having the missionaries share a message with us and the conversation that came from it.

I loved this Sunday afternoon!


No comments: