Sunday, January 11, 2015

#Ynotus - Rise and Shout!!!

On Thursday night, Dec 18, 2014 we sat in our living room and watched an unranked BYU women's volleyball team knock off 2nd ranked Texas to get a spot in the National Championship game on Saturday night in Oklahoma City....not far from where we live. No one could deny how excited Kelsey was. She LOVES volleyball. And so do I...so we sat there amazed at BYUs skill! Right then and there I took out my phone and started looking at prices! Holy Cow...they weren't too bad....and there WERE tickets available! I wanted to buy them right then and there....but held off.

On Friday night Kelsey and I went to the UCA women's basketball game. One of my students is on the team so Kelsey was ecstatic to get a pic with her!
Truth be told, it was a BLOWOUT (and thankfully so) and I was checking my phone for tickets to the BYU vs PENN STATE National Championship game. We sit next to a guy named Pat and we talked about me taking Kelsey. I had already decided it was a memory too good to pass up for the price!!! He gave a pretty convincing argument FOR going. So I called Scott after getting all the way to the click to purchase point. Our phone call took too long and I had to start the process over again. I decided that if there weren't any tickets then it wasn't meant to be. Imagine my surprise and EXCITEMENT when the tickets we got the second time were MUCH better!!! Evidently all the Texas fans were getting rid of their tickets since they didn't make it to the Final game!

And that was that....UCA killed whoever they were playing and Kelsey and I were going to the National Championship game the next day in Oklahoma City!

Our drive was LONG but we were BOTH excited to go! Krista had lived in OK City before so I had her find us a Mexican restaurant near the arena....Kelsey and I ALWAYS do Mexican!

We got there in time to park, eat and get to the game! What a blast!!!

Here are the pics, in random order....I am SO happy I chose to make this memory with Kelsey!!
 
Kelsey just HAD to see Cosmo. We walked all the way around the arena to where the BYU cheerleaders were and he was gone. She was heartbroken. We walked down to the front row and I just looked around...surely he'd be back soon. So we just stood there...and out of the tunnel he came. I thought he'd just stay on the court and Kelsey would have to kneel down....but NO! He hopped up OVER the railing and Kelsey was able to get a REAL pic...I think she was in 7th Heaven. THIS may have made her ENTIRE night!!!
 
Before we left we made posters so Kelsey would hopefully get on TV. No idea if she made it ON TV...but she made the big screen in the arena and that was good enough for us!
 
 
 
 

When we got OUT of the arena there were guys waiting on bikes to take us for a ride back to our cars. I usually wouldn't spend the money for such a cart ride, but Kelsey really wanted to. It was a perfect ending to a fun night!

We had secured a place to stay for the night - compliments of Krista and her old Bishop while she lived there. But BYU choked in the last game and it was ALL over before 8:30pm. We weren't able to get to the house til 10pm....so I just decided to head back home! THAT was a LOOOONG drive. Kelsey fell asleep and I was left to listen to my audio book. I was fine until maybe midnight...then the Pumpkin came quickly and I barely made it home by 1:00am!

Crazy long day but SUCH a great memory! I'd much rather spend my money on MEMORIES than gifts that end up broken or at the back of a closet!

Go BYU....I will forever bleed BLUE!!!
 

2 comments:

Erin van de Graaff said...

Yay, I'm so happy you were able to go! Only a little jealous. And I love how excited Kelsey was to see Cosmo. Girl after my own heart. I LOVE Cosmo!

Lynda said...

What a fun time! Look at those smiles!