Sunday, March 8, 2015

Welcome Back!

So I thought I had gotten the hang of this .... of keeping a journal, a blog! Evidently I have fallen off the wagon and it is harder at this time of my life than I had hoped or thought! :(

Since I last wrote a lot has happened, yet not much of all! Mostly it's been the weather. The south has been pretty iced over....in the last 3 weeks of school the kids haven't had ONE FULL WEEK! In fact, I think they have 4 or 5 snow days! At this rate, they have NO CHANCE to NOT go into June! Pretty sure they aren't going to be too happy about that! I imagine it won't be long and we'll be complaining about the sweltering heat! But for now it is cold and icy. Yesterday actually warmed up....but today is rainy and a little chillier than I would prefer. I'm ready for Spring!

In a couple weeks we are heading on a cruise for Spring Break. We'd been wanting to celebrate my PhD with the family....it wasn't just ME that sacrificed to finish. The family had to do A LOT too! So we got a good deal and are off on March 23! Won't this be a fun time with the family!

Catching up....not easy. I suppose I'll go down the list of our family.

Scott: He picked up a job and should start soon. It's a part time job from 9-2:30...perfect hours for him since he has to get Cody to school and pick him up again. He was pretty worried about it...I'm happy to report that it is now a non-issue! Whew!

Me: This semester seems to be a little less stressful as the last. I keep hearing that it will just get easier. I don't feel so NEW, nor do I feel so out of breath! I am still overwhelmed at times as I have 2 new preps (classes I've not taught before), but I feel more a part of things. I am loving teaching...loving the students. I really enjoy seeing students from the prior semesters also. This semester I have 3 of the women's basketball team in my class. Kelsey and I go watch a lot of their home games....so it's fun for Kelsey to slap their hands and know that they are my students. She REALLY wanted a pic with the team, but had her own tournament during UCAs LAST home game. I felt bad about it so I asked my students if I could set up a time with them to get together with Kelsey for her bday! They will get some pics with her and hopefully get to shoot around with her a little. A perk as their teacher...I suppose. I just hope Kelsey enjoys it!
I'm also teaching a mental health course. THAT is the class I LOVE! It's a first year seminar...meaning I have mostly freshman and sophomores. I LOVE teaching that age group...so new in the college scene and I have a chance to empower them and help them make life more happy, joyful, peaceful, and productive in college!

Jordan: I think he is loving having NO FOOTBALL practice! He still works out, but it is in his own time and desire. He's a lot happier, I think. He also got himself a summer job landscaping with one of the church member's son. I had talked to his mom about it...not sure if she talked to him or not, but Saturday when Jordan went to help a lady in the Ward move, this guy was there. Jordan took the initiative. THAT is one thing I really admire about Jordan...his initiative. He will be the one to talk to others, to make phone calls for appointments, etc. Now, he's still 17...but I'm super pleased with him. I think he will enjoy working!

Spencer: He's running track. With ALL the yucky weather he's had a lot of indoor practice....but he's still running. Of course, he's still getting up in the trees and working out. He's funny...he's my child who runs around without a shirt all the time. Not sure if he likes his muscles or what...but it cracks me up.

Kelsey: She has been hot and heavy into basketball, playing both the rec league and a tournament team. It has now ended and softball starts (if the weather can hold out, that is. We were supposed to start last week...we will see if THIS week we actually CAN start). She had to make a decision...soccer or softball. Soccer plays both Fall and Spring....softball just in the summer. She chose to play soccer in the Fall and Softball in the spring/Summer. I hate that she has to choose....I grew up playing whatever was in season. Too much is at stake nowadays! I hate the pressure parents give each other...."If you want Kelsey to play in high school you better get her on this tournament team!" I'm the biggest athletics supporter of all...but this is just getting to be TOO MUCH! Kelsey is the only one that we really have to deal with....but we have decided that we aren't going to spend every waking moment on the court or field. There are so many great things you can learn from sports, and I'm the first to love that! But I also see how torn and spread thin our family can be! It's a hard and very personal battle. I would never push my decisions on another family, and I appreciate when I get that same respect!

Cody: Cody has found a friend next door. I think that is what he likes the best...a friend CLOSE by! This was he can play every day! He is starting soccer....but practices have been cancelled a lot because of the weather. I hope he does well....I know he likes it.

I haven't been taking as many pics as I would like....Here are just a few with a short explanation.


 On Valentine's Day we went to Petit Jean State Park and went hiking....it was a beautiful day! It was nice little respite in between the cold dreary days of winter!



 Jordan and Spencer taking a selfie....



If I don't click publish I won't get this off....again! Sundays are my down days...and I've been making a birthday book for Kelsey so, that has been most of my time lately! No excuses...I'll do better ...... for my own sake and the sake of my little family!

2 comments:

Lynda said...

Great pictures. Love Kelsey's scarf! Always good to hear about the grandkids! Love you guys

Anonymous said...

Your posts may be few and far between but I love reading every one of them.