Recently in Kelsey's Literature class in 9th grade they read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. To conclude the unit, each student had to put themselves in the shoes of Guy Montag, a character from the book. They were to imagine that they had just joined a wandering group of book lovers. As a new member of that wandering group, they were to create a presentation about a book they would want to "become" in order to save it for future generations.
Kelsey chose the Book of Mormon.
Her presentation needed to deliver a persuasive speech explaining WHY this book is important to her and to the entire world.
Here is her speech.
I don't like to read. In fact, I've never really liked reading. I'd much rather be outside doing something. I don't really ever remember my parents reading to me much, though they beg to differ. I don't remember many of the books I've read. Though I remember that I did read books, I don't really remember what the books were about or what they taught. I just don't like to read. Although I know that books allow you to transport to another land and time and teach valuable lessons that will change lives forever, it's just never happened to me with typical books that most people read. Contrasting with the woman in Fahrenheit 451, I don't really know of many books I would die for. I've never really had a book that would change my life if it wasn't there, EXCEPT for one -- the Book of Mormon. Many of you may not know about the Book of Mormon but I want to share with you WHY I would become the Book of Mormon so that it would NEVER leave the Earth.
Just like the Old and New Testaments, that most of you know and love, The Book of Mormon is another Testament of Jesus Christ written by prophets in the American Continent. It tells of Jesus Christ's life here in the Americas. (*the prophet's lives in the Americas)
The Book of Mormon is important to me because I'd honestly be lost without it for three reasons. 1)The peace and answers I get each time I read, 2) The book has the power to change the world as it's changed me, 3) MOST IMPORTANTLY, I want my future children to live life with the same peace and knowledge I have.
So when I read the Book of Mormon my heart is filled with peace. Like other books, when I read it, I get into it and forgets what's going on around me. I forget about all the worldly distractions. The Book of Mormon tells of the purpose of life and is like a road map for life. It has had the answers to come of the questions I've gone to the Lord with. And sometimes it may not be exactly what the book itself is saying - like the words. But when reading, the Holy Ghost speaks to me also. That's how I get some of my answers. This is like Faber in Fahrenheit 451. He believed that the true value of a book lies in the ideas, beliefs, views, life example, and lessons it provides the reader. He believed the value of books is in the messages conveyed in what they say...messages that can change an individual. Like the Book of Mormon has changed me, it can also change the world.
Janes, a professor at the University of Washington, explores documents that have changed the world. He says, "most faiths start with words and holy books," which he refers to as founding documents of a faith, which by their very nature are world changing. Up to this date, over 150 million copies of the Book of Mormon have been printed in over 100 languages. Like Montag didn't want books to be burned because they believed they have the power to change the world. I want to become the Book of Mormon so it isn't burned, so to speak, so it isn't misunderstood, but is seen as a legitimate testament of Christ able to change the world.
Lastly, and most importantly, I want my future children to live life with the same peace and knowledge I have and get from the Book of Mormon. In Fahrenheit 451, if people were caught with books, the books were burned. One experience in the Book of Mormon speaks of people being killed if caught praying. By becoming the Book of Mormon I would save valuable words of the prophets so my children and others could benefit. By becoming the Book of Mormon, it would not be burned. Therefore, generations to come can also benefit.
Though I still don't looove reading, when I read the Book of Mormon I begin to understand why others do enjoy reading. Therefore, to preserve this special book, I want to become the Book of Mormon. I want to take it further also though. Rather than burning books because we don't understand them, or are uncomfortable by them, or just don't like them because of what others say, like Beaty said when he stated, "Colored people don't like Little Black Sambo. Burn it. White people don't feel good about Uncle Tom's Cabin. Burn it," I want people to understand and not be afraid of the Book of Mormon. I know of it's worth. Therefore, DO NOT BURN THE BOOK!
I have not doubt she did a GREAT job. She had to go first and said everyone commented, saying she did great or set the bar too high. I LOVE the our church gives youth the opportunity to learn to speak publicly. She was a bit nervous to speak about the Book of Mormon in the heart of the Bible Belt, but was also undaunted in doing so. I am soooo proud of her.
1 comment:
Oh my GOODNESS, Kelsey. This is beautiful and so well articulated. You are an amazing young woman and I am so proud to call you Granddaughter. What courage to speak up about something you believe in and love. Way to be an ambassador for the Book of Mormon. Love you
Post a Comment