Sunday, January 7, 2018

Storyworth.com

My awesome sister found this cool website storyworth.com where we can have our parents write stories...share experiences...about their life. It's a family history deal too...storyworth will send emails with a question, parents will write a story in reply. We receive the email and then at the end of the year we get a bound book with all the stories. I'm pretty excited!

Scott and I thought about doing it as well, but then figured we could just answer the questions here on this blog since I publish a book at the end of each year.

So weekly both Scott and I will be getting on sharing experiences. We got one for Dan and Karen, and went in on one for my mom and dad too. We will be answering both questions.

WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST BIG TRIP?

Denise: As I read the responses from our parents, the first thing I thought of was how we used to go with my grandparents (Grandma and Grandpa Moen) to Honeyman Beach in northwest Washington or southern British Columbia. We would go to the sand dunes, and tide pooling. I remember the star fish and sand dollars IN THE TIDE...not just in the stores. I remember playing cards with my family in my grandparents trailer and lawn darts too. One year I remember all the HUGE slugs....and one night as I walked (barefooted no less) to our campsite after cards in the trailer, I happened to STEP ON one of those huge brightly colored slugs. I was so grossed out! As a little girl....oh my! As an adult....ugh!
Image result for brightly colored slugs in northwest washington
Oh boy...just looking at the pic brings back a LOT of memories. The ones I remember we MUCH more colorful, but I chose this one from the internet since it showed the sheer size of the beast!

Regardless of that sickening feeling, I loved camping with my grandparents!

I think they instilled the love of camping in me. So when I got married we made sure we had a tent and sleeping bags. The only difference was I lived in the south when I got married....HUMIDITY was deadly! I remember going camping with Scott for the first time bringing sleeping bag.....it was hot humid and then rained. The rain did NOT bring cooler weather though. I never used the sleeping bag again. A small blanket over us would be fine! That was an interesting camping trip. Setting up on the side of a mountain....well, a TN mountain, more like a hill, IN the rain. Needless to say, getting a fire started was harder than it should have been. We borrowed a lighter from the campers next to us. Swimming in the lake the next day was fun tho.

I LOVE to vacation!! LOVE it! While flying is faster and somewhat easier, I do enjoy driving across the country with my family. Scott and I first drove from TN to Utah when we moved back. Jordan stayed with Nana so it was just Scott and I driving a UHaul truck with our car towed behind. This was before everyone carried a cell phone locked and loaded at ALL TIMES! We did have one....about the size of a regular phone with a HUGE antenna. But it was only for emergencies. We didn't even turn it on. Well, we stopped in Farmington, NM for the night and checked in with our parents. I couldn't seem to get in touch with my parents, but Scott's folks said she had been trying to get us ALL day. I don't know why, but I remember calling from a pay phone outside the hotel. Sadly, my grandmother had passed away that day! I had planned to have lunch with her when we got there. It was a sad evening for me.

And now we drive to Utah a lot. This past summer it was fun to drive just me, Spencer, Kelsey, and Cody. We had a GREAT time. We usually stop in the Moab area and climb on the rocks and play around. What fun to crank the music and sing along. My kids are hilarious and fun!

WHAT IS YOUR FULL NAME AND WHY WERE YOU NAMED THAT? ANY NICKNAMES THROUGHOUT YOUR LIFE?

Denise: My full name is Denise Marie (Sproul) Demers. Truthfully, I have NO IDEA why my name is Denise. Maybe my mother will respond/comment on this blog entry and let me know. I may have asked her in previous years, but somehow never remember the answer. I do know the I share a MIDDLE name with my mother and have since given it to my own daughter as well. I also know that I WAS going to be named Kimber Lee. Not sure why for that name either. Personally, I am glad I am Denise....although IF I would have been named Kimber Lee, I am pretty sure I would like it too.

As for nicknames, my dad was the KING of nicknames!! Back in the late 70s we used to watch a showed called FISH. "Phil Fish is a detective with the New York Police Department who moves into a house with his gravelly-voiced wife Bernice, and adopts five foster children: street-smart Victor, black hipster Loomis, shy Jilly, charmer Mike and youthful Diane. Charlie was the social worker shrink who dropped in from time to time to make sure everything was OK." Not sure why, but probably because Bernice rhymed with Denise, he began to call me "Bernice, how's Fish?" I know, weird. But such were his nicknames. He also called me Ebenezer one time....a play off my name again. The kids in the neighborhood began calling me Eb...but these did not last long. 

I don't really have a nickname. I often call myself De, and so do some of my friends. But mostly I just go by Denise. Spencer has even started calling me Denise. CRAZY BOY!!!

This was the last week of our Christmas Break! It was nice to get some things cleaned up after the Christmas festivities with the Demers Clan! Lights came down, tree came down, decorations got organized and all headed back up to the attic. Then it was CLEANING...closets, rooms, kitchen, etc. It feels good to have things cleaned up. But I'm not sure ANYONE is ready for school to begin tomorrow! 6am will be a rude awakening for Spencer and Kelsey for seminary. My students don't come back until Thursday, but I am going in since NOTHING is ready for them in the way of a syllabus or schedule....or any modifications I want to make to my courses. Back to the grind.

Jordan took a car back to Aunt Krista, so he drove instead of flew. He wanted to drive alone. Crazy...but he made it. It was so nice to have him home. I think he is learning that he really does love and miss us. He spent a lot of his time AT home rather than with friends, which was nice. But it WAS sad to see him go. He made sure to play some XBox with Cody before he left. And when Kelsey called to say good-bye he told her he loved her. What? She said it was the FIRST time she can remember him telling her. Life is changing....everyone is growing up!

And now it is back to basketball for Kelsey (we've already had a tournament that ended yesterday for Greenbrier), 



Soccer for Spencer, and soon enough Scott and Cody will be playing soccer too. As for me -- I was SUPPOSED to meet a friend I have been working with all year at a conference in Florida next weekend, one year to the day that we first talked and began our collaboration studies with motherscholars, but something came up and she can't make it. I am sad! But I will present and continue on my way to writing, publishing, teaching, etc at UCA. I LOVE my job! I really really do!

I think 2018 is going to be a good one! I plan to MAKE it that way!

No comments: