My Dream car & Learning to drive
Believe it or not, I do remember a bit about learning to drive...not ALL but bits and pieces. My father let
me drive the John Deere riding lawnmower all over our 3 acres, so I felt like teaching me MUST have
been super easy. I probably thought I needed no teaching. Haha (but I’m sure I did). I remember
driving an automatic wasn’t too much different, but a manual - THAT was an effort. Mom taught me.
The ONLY two experiences I remember are 1) getting to drive to and from church and 2) driving down
to the cake decorating store on the huge hill (State Street) between Orem and Provo.
me drive the John Deere riding lawnmower all over our 3 acres, so I felt like teaching me MUST have
been super easy. I probably thought I needed no teaching. Haha (but I’m sure I did). I remember
driving an automatic wasn’t too much different, but a manual - THAT was an effort. Mom taught me.
The ONLY two experiences I remember are 1) getting to drive to and from church and 2) driving down
to the cake decorating store on the huge hill (State Street) between Orem and Provo.
We lived in Utah, so church was not far -- maybe a little over a mile. Driving TO church was pretty
easy in a stick shift since it was MOSTLY downhill. However, coming home - THAT was a different
story. The stop sign at the 4 way stop at the TOP of the hill about did me in. How on earth do you stop,
then push the clutch in and not roll backward before you actually start moving forward?? I couldn’t do
it and I was scared EVERY time. I remember my brothers and sister being mad after church when I
would drive because I would go the LONG way around in order to MISS that hill. I have since learned
how to do that …. And I am the one that teaches my children how to drive. We spend a lot of time in
an empty parking lot before they can even get their learner’s permit. I want them to get the feel of the
car and be COMFORTABLE when they finally go on the roads. I probably didn’t work with Jordan as
much because of little kids. But Spencer and Kelsey have had ample time behind the wheel before
hitting the roads. I have begun with Cody …. But only a little. He isn’t as into it on Sundays. Kelsey
and I used to go EVERY Sunday.
easy in a stick shift since it was MOSTLY downhill. However, coming home - THAT was a different
story. The stop sign at the 4 way stop at the TOP of the hill about did me in. How on earth do you stop,
then push the clutch in and not roll backward before you actually start moving forward?? I couldn’t do
it and I was scared EVERY time. I remember my brothers and sister being mad after church when I
would drive because I would go the LONG way around in order to MISS that hill. I have since learned
how to do that …. And I am the one that teaches my children how to drive. We spend a lot of time in
an empty parking lot before they can even get their learner’s permit. I want them to get the feel of the
car and be COMFORTABLE when they finally go on the roads. I probably didn’t work with Jordan as
much because of little kids. But Spencer and Kelsey have had ample time behind the wheel before
hitting the roads. I have begun with Cody …. But only a little. He isn’t as into it on Sundays. Kelsey
and I used to go EVERY Sunday.
The second experience I remember is in that same blue Nissan Sentra with manual transmission. This
time we WERE going downhill. We were at a light and I needed to turn left with no arrow. Every time
there was an opening, I would try to start and stall the car. I don’t remember mom being mad or
frustrated. Truthfully, she probably laughed at me even though I was probably getting frustrated
because the cars were lining up behind me. Not sure if I drove home that day….I probably threw the
towel in and so did mom after that one.
time we WERE going downhill. We were at a light and I needed to turn left with no arrow. Every time
there was an opening, I would try to start and stall the car. I don’t remember mom being mad or
frustrated. Truthfully, she probably laughed at me even though I was probably getting frustrated
because the cars were lining up behind me. Not sure if I drove home that day….I probably threw the
towel in and so did mom after that one.
As for a dream car, this is kinda funny. When I was in Driver’s Ed we had to go to Orem High School to
drive on the driving range. The car there was a Buick Celebrity and I loved feeling the thrill of actually
driving a car. It seemed pretty cool, so that was going to be my FIRST car. Makes me kind of laugh
now. Honestly...I ALWAYS loved the small 4 door sedans like the Nissan Sentra we had. Sure, I always
loved a red Porsche 911 Targa --- but that was only a pipe dream. I was far too practical to ever really
spend my money on one. But I had a poster of one in my bedroom. It was a beautiful car.
drive on the driving range. The car there was a Buick Celebrity and I loved feeling the thrill of actually
driving a car. It seemed pretty cool, so that was going to be my FIRST car. Makes me kind of laugh
now. Honestly...I ALWAYS loved the small 4 door sedans like the Nissan Sentra we had. Sure, I always
loved a red Porsche 911 Targa --- but that was only a pipe dream. I was far too practical to ever really
spend my money on one. But I had a poster of one in my bedroom. It was a beautiful car.
But truth be told, I’m pretty practical. My first car was a little Plymouth Champ. A little hatchback.
Then I bought a Geo Prism when I returned from my mission - and kept it into our marriage until we
moved to Illinois.
moved to Illinois.
We bought an Isuzu Trooper that I LOVED...but have had minivans ever since.
I’d LOVE an XTerra but not sure that will happen.
I’d REALLY like what Kelsey calls a “mom car.” It is a midsize crossover …. Something like a
Honda CRV, Nissan Rogue or Murano, Toyota Highlander. The Nissan Juke was my cute little passion
for a bit. But it is too small …. I need more comfort than that.
Honda CRV, Nissan Rogue or Murano, Toyota Highlander. The Nissan Juke was my cute little passion
for a bit. But it is too small …. I need more comfort than that.
Sounds I love
Sounds are good things. Right now in my life, I love the sound of silence. But I also absolutely LOVE
the sound of all my children together laughing and having a good time. Laughing from down deep...
pure joy and laughter is something this mother heart can’t get enough of, that is for sure.
the sound of all my children together laughing and having a good time. Laughing from down deep...
pure joy and laughter is something this mother heart can’t get enough of, that is for sure.
This is definitely NOT a sound, but I’ve been thinking lately of the silence of the snow falling at night.
There is just something about that sound...or that feeling … with the light from a light post illuminating
the flakes as they fall in the pitch black night.
There is just something about that sound...or that feeling … with the light from a light post illuminating
the flakes as they fall in the pitch black night.
Another sound is a baby. Fussing and screaming is not always pleasant, but contrasted with the cooes
and giggles of a young baby make my heart sing. My own children more than other’s children, but all
children nonetheless. Of course, this leads to first words in their cute little voices - saying it incorrectly
in their own way. And then as my children grow and are able to give talks in church. I am soooo proud
at that moment.
and giggles of a young baby make my heart sing. My own children more than other’s children, but all
children nonetheless. Of course, this leads to first words in their cute little voices - saying it incorrectly
in their own way. And then as my children grow and are able to give talks in church. I am soooo proud
at that moment.
I love when they are happy with each other….saying happy things, or just talking. These sounds warm
my heart and make life worth it.
my heart and make life worth it.
Other random sounds (and I do mean random) are waves crashing against the shoreline, or rain on the
roof. I love the sound of making hard taco shells as it represents SOOOO much more than just the
shell, but years of watching mom then doing it myself then teaching my children to fry them up.
roof. I love the sound of making hard taco shells as it represents SOOOO much more than just the
shell, but years of watching mom then doing it myself then teaching my children to fry them up.
It is interesting to sit here and think of just sounds. I have allergies and therefore tinnitus….so a
complete silence would be wonderful. But contemplating the joyful sounds is a wonderful thing. I love
the hymns and often find myself humming them. Interestingly enough, Cody now hums and it is often
a hymn or Primary song. I love major chords, not minor. I love uplifting songs, not music that tears me
down or makes my heart or insides hurt. Sounds that make me feel good...an I love you or an I’m sorry.
These are the sounds of peace.
complete silence would be wonderful. But contemplating the joyful sounds is a wonderful thing. I love
the hymns and often find myself humming them. Interestingly enough, Cody now hums and it is often
a hymn or Primary song. I love major chords, not minor. I love uplifting songs, not music that tears me
down or makes my heart or insides hurt. Sounds that make me feel good...an I love you or an I’m sorry.
These are the sounds of peace.
Foods I dislike..how it has changed over time
When I was a kid I did not like RANCH DRESSING! Really? How could I NOT like it -- ESPECIALLY
since my mom made it from scratch! Thankfully, those taste buds changed. Really, I am thankful that
MOST of my taste buds have changed. I didn’t use to like gravy? Nor did I like spinach, or cucumbers,
or onions, or mushrooms. I remember is was on my high school graduation that my dad took me to
Magleby’s and with my steak he said I ought to try mushrooms. I was hooked and have liked them
ever since!!
since my mom made it from scratch! Thankfully, those taste buds changed. Really, I am thankful that
MOST of my taste buds have changed. I didn’t use to like gravy? Nor did I like spinach, or cucumbers,
or onions, or mushrooms. I remember is was on my high school graduation that my dad took me to
Magleby’s and with my steak he said I ought to try mushrooms. I was hooked and have liked them
ever since!!
One thing I KNOW I still do NOT like is LIVER...nope, that NEVER went over well. My mom in Idaho
would make it when people were getting more colds. It was all I could do to eat a 2” by 2” piece. I’d
cut a TINY miniscule piece and surround it with just about EVERYTHING else on my plate just to
drown out the taste. It never did...and I ended up NOT enjoying ANY of the meal.
would make it when people were getting more colds. It was all I could do to eat a 2” by 2” piece. I’d
cut a TINY miniscule piece and surround it with just about EVERYTHING else on my plate just to
drown out the taste. It never did...and I ended up NOT enjoying ANY of the meal.
I’ve tried calamari, and lobster, and other seafood, but I don’t really prefer it. What I really like is...which
leads me to the next Storyworth prompt:
leads me to the next Storyworth prompt:
Favorite restaurants throughout the years … how about now
We didn’t go out to eat much when I was growing up. One day my mom was driving home and saw me.
She rolled down her window to say I needed to go home for dinner. Something inside me heard that
we were going OUT to eat. Because it so rarely happened, it was super special. I asked where we
were going and she responded, “The Big Yellow House.” I ran all the way home, searching my mind for
an recollection of this mysterious restaurant.
She rolled down her window to say I needed to go home for dinner. Something inside me heard that
we were going OUT to eat. Because it so rarely happened, it was super special. I asked where we
were going and she responded, “The Big Yellow House.” I ran all the way home, searching my mind for
an recollection of this mysterious restaurant.
Nope--it wasn’t real. The BIG YELLOW HOUSE was “OUR” house.
Although it sounds kind of funny in relation to our lives nowadays, I don’t really remember having a
favorite restaurant as a kid. In California I remember Lipperts Ice Cream -- not that I remember
WHERE it was. There was a cool pizza place near the Lucky grocery store. I remember going
there….it had some type of fun thing in there, maybe a train or a ball that went through a maze or
something. I remember my parents liking Chinese food, but I never did.
favorite restaurant as a kid. In California I remember Lipperts Ice Cream -- not that I remember
WHERE it was. There was a cool pizza place near the Lucky grocery store. I remember going
there….it had some type of fun thing in there, maybe a train or a ball that went through a maze or
something. I remember my parents liking Chinese food, but I never did.
When we moved to Utah … and I’m sure because I was getting older and was more aware … I found
a whole host of restaurants I liked. Mexican food was probably my favorite. If only I could remember
the place …. It has been so long.
a whole host of restaurants I liked. Mexican food was probably my favorite. If only I could remember
the place …. It has been so long.
In Idaho my father would take me to Sizzler. I always liked that too. And Choices or Godfather’s Pizza.
You can never go wrong with a good pizza!
You can never go wrong with a good pizza!
Now, I still love Mexican. Our good friend owns Amigo Loco so we go there most often. He also has a
taco truck (Taco Local) in Greenbrier. In Effingham, it was Puerta Vallarta or Mi Rancherito. I will always
take a good Jimmy John’s sandwich (usually turkey with avocado or roast beef). I know there are
others….good food at Pasta Grill, David’s Burgers, China Buffet (oh, I used to NOT like Chinese food
and now I LOVE it).
taco truck (Taco Local) in Greenbrier. In Effingham, it was Puerta Vallarta or Mi Rancherito. I will always
take a good Jimmy John’s sandwich (usually turkey with avocado or roast beef). I know there are
others….good food at Pasta Grill, David’s Burgers, China Buffet (oh, I used to NOT like Chinese food
and now I LOVE it).
Food is a good thing. There isn’t much I do not like -- but I am a “stick with what I know I like” type gal
when I order!
when I order!
Morning or evening person
DEFINITELY a morning person!! My students wonder how I am so alert at 8am. I tell them they ought
to see me at 3pm….there is a reason I teach at 8am. Then by 8:30pm I’m pretty much worthless.
to see me at 3pm….there is a reason I teach at 8am. Then by 8:30pm I’m pretty much worthless.
I’m not sure if I have ALWAYS been a morning person. I think that as a teenager I was way more
lethargic and sleep oriented. Even in college I remember staying up WAY too late. But I think my mind
has always worked better in the morning. I like exercising in the morning over the afternoon too.
lethargic and sleep oriented. Even in college I remember staying up WAY too late. But I think my mind
has always worked better in the morning. I like exercising in the morning over the afternoon too.
First major news story as a child
I’m not sure what came first, or if any were the result of another, but I do remember three thing in
California around the end of the 1970s.
California around the end of the 1970s.
- Drought
- Oil crises
- Iran
The drought of 1976-77 was crazy! I suppose California is prone, but goodness. As a little girl I
remember having to share bath water -- poor Krista, I’m sure I was way dirtier than she EVER got. I
remember the man coming to read our water meter daily to make sure we only used so much water.
No watering our lawn either.
remember having to share bath water -- poor Krista, I’m sure I was way dirtier than she EVER got. I
remember the man coming to read our water meter daily to make sure we only used so much water.
No watering our lawn either.
The oil crisis was only a crisis to my young mind because of the gas lines. I remember that if the last
number on your license plate was even you got to buy gas on certain days….odd last numbers went
the other days. Waiting was horrible….but I’m sure we just played in the car or van and made due.
number on your license plate was even you got to buy gas on certain days….odd last numbers went
the other days. Waiting was horrible….but I’m sure we just played in the car or van and made due.
Ayatollah Khomeini - though I knew then very little, and only Google has helped me catch a glimpse of
this Iranian leader, I do remember this name well. In 6th grade especially I remember playing on the
playground as if he was the bad guy.
this Iranian leader, I do remember this name well. In 6th grade especially I remember playing on the
playground as if he was the bad guy.
1 comment:
Such great memories!
Post a Comment