Sunday, July 7, 2019

Summertime FUN!

Since Spencer's High School Graduation much has happened...SUMMER!!

It didn't take long for Spencer to head to Texas to work for the summer ... earning money for his mission. I miss him! I haven't seen him since he left. He left Sunday, June 2 and I left Monday, June 3 for Austria. He came home once...but I was not home yet. This is preparing me for when he goes on his mission for sure. It will be nice to be able to talk to him every week. When that new rule came out a few months ago, I wasn't sure if I would talk to him every week. My whole life was only two calls a year so it was weird to change my mentality. But I think I will like it. Today I spoke to one of our missionary's mom. She said the first 6 months was rough, not gonna lie. But these weekly phone calls will help with that she assured me.

So -- summer time is for fun, for relaxation. And we are doing that well. Here are some highlights and some pics.

* I took 5 students to Austria from June 3-24. It was a different experience being alone, with no other professor. I learned to enjoy down time, time to SAUNTER, something very foreign to me. I spent time walking slowly, reading in the park, meeting new friends, and relaxing in my flat. I posted each day on THIS BLOG if you want to head there and see what I did abroad.











* Spencer is working in Texas and has picked up fishing and facial hair! He is learning adultish type things too ... flat tires in the late night, locking keys in car, living on his own with a friend. I'm proud of the man he is becoming.



* Kelsey got a job at Taco Local, has been cleared to start running, and totaled my car (but at least she is safe). She is growing up so fast ... such a good attitude and happiness. Even with a torn ACL and an accident, she shines for all those around! I even got this message from a friend....

Hey Demers family, over the last month I've found myself working an unbearable number of hours at my job. My attitude has soured and I'm not much fun to be around. Last night as I was sitting at the soccer fields and thinking about work and not really in the moment of enjoying watching my two kids play I saw Kelsey and her beautiful, cheerful smile as she interacted with other people. She so often embodies the fruits of the spirit and you can tell everyone around her has a better day just by being around her. Of course she's not perfect and as her parents you probably know that, but she does such a great job of showing love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, and so on. What struck me most when watching her was how everyone around her started to show those attributes as well. Her attitude was contagious. I resolved last night to push away my negative attitude and to start showing the fruits of the spirit to those around me. I need to brighten their days like she brightens the days of those around her. I need to become contagious with joy, love, patience. Thanks for raising such a good kid and example to others around her. Oh, also, I'm so glad she's ok from that wreck and that it wasn't her fault. I know that had to be scary for Denise not being her. I hope you both have great days today. See you at the fields.

* Cody is playing 7v7 soccer on a fun team with a lot of the high school team. We had him allergy tested....he is just like me, allergic to EVERYTHING green. Poor kid. But he is such a good help around the house. And I got home from Austria to him being eye to eye with me. Won't be long now....I predict by the end of summer or the end of the year at the latest!

* Scott's head is a mess. He got a concussion a few months ago, and can't get back to normal without hitting it again. He hit his head on the windshield during the car accident, and has been suffering pretty bad since. The ER doc says he has swelling that just won't be normal for another month or 6 weeks. I got home from Austria and all he talked about was swaying from side to side. It really worries me. I think he will be ok, but I can't lie, I'm scared.

* We floated the Buffalo river on the 4th of July with the Adamson's. It was a beautiful day! The backs of my shoulders are pretty burned .... but all else was GREAT!!!!





* A little swimming at the Everett's pool, construction (removed Scott's old closet to make it bigger - finished pics to come later), and a temple trip with my kiddos. What more could a mama ask for???


* A little Denise here....had an epiphany today in Sacrament Meeting. As the sacrament was passed, a phrase in the sacrament hymn blasted into my consciousness, into my heart, and brought tears to my eyes. The sacrament hymn was #194 There is a Green Hill Far Away. The last verse, third phrase says "and trust in His redeeming blood." I must trust. No matter how much I work and think the harder I work the more I can have an influence on how things turn out, I must trust the Savior. I was thinking about Jordan when this thought came. He is God's son more than mine, and HE has it all in control, in HIS control and not mine. I love Jordan. And I love the Savior!!!

The remainder of SUMMER holds lots of adventures - Youth Conf next week, more soccer, probably some hiking, and a bit of WORK too (I have a tenure packet to create and CONSTRUCTION!! Tore down Scott's old closet, rebuilding it next week. Total bathroom remodel ... hopefully soon). Stay tuned...I know we will!!!

1 comment:

Lynda said...

You are always busy doing something! I wouldn't want you any other way. Your family is growing and changing so quickly. Love you all!!