Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Funny Things Cody says...and the rest of us too.

We've been home from our trip for quite awhile now but I still think of how funny Cody was. He said some pretty funny things. He had Jordan (and the rest of us) rolling all over laughing. He's pretty quiet and shy but he was on a roll this time.

Here are the funny things he said...or at least some of them. Jordan wrote them down so we wouldn't forget. I was usually driving so I couldn't write them...but I joined in a lot of the laughter, that is for sure!

K: I'm cold
C: Then put your sweatshirt on
(I think he's heard me talking a bit too much)

(I seemed to almost miss the turn to Rapid City from Mt Rushmore quite often. This is a little exchange between me and Jordan)
M: Oh Shoot! I almost missed the turn again!
J: I was gonna say, "Are you going to Hill City or Rapid City? Maybe you could just go in the middle and call it Rapid Hill City!"

(Cody consistently called Mt Rushmore "Mountain Mushmore." Our trials of getting him to call it by its correct name were futile, to say the least. He stuck to his guns....until just this one time. And you had to be listening because it only happened ONCE!)
C: We're going to Mt Rushmore! I hope you heard me because I'm not going to say it again.

At one point a deer jumped in front of the car...well, it was running with its friends and jumped to miss us. A conversation about shooting deer ensued....with some saying they'd be easy to shoot. Cody's response? "Well, they can always duck, you know!"

We seemed to play a lot of road games along this journey. When people were done and didn't want to play again it sometimes made someone that wanted to keep playing a little upset. At one point it was everyone that wanted to quit and Kelsey wanted to keep playing.
Cody's response? "Play with yourself, you'll always win!"

Logic seems to win out in Cody's brain. I love to hear a 5 year old brain and I am super glad Jordan recorded it for me.

D: Is that tree orange?
C: Yeah, they're tree color...they're painted!

S: Look, a cave! Maybe there's a papa bear.
C: No, a baby bear or maybe a bird.

The kids enjoyed climbing around on the rocks. At Sylvan Lake I didn't mind. Needles Highway was a different story....with the fall landing 70 miles DOWN. Check out our logic here!
M: If you fall off those spires do you know what would happen? (they wanted not only climb around on the rocks but ascend to the tip top of the highest spire)
J: I'd be a goner!
C: You'll be DEAD!

D: Be quiet!
S: For deer? (we'd been looking for wild animals)
D: For peace!
C: Peace?? Geese, or maybe seagulls

S: Cody BIT me!
M: Oh, don't do that.
J: You don't know where he's been
C: Well, YOU put your finger in my mouth
S: Nuh, uh!!!!

S: Mom, if Dad dies you owe me a new one!!!!!
M: Hah! I can't just go buy one at the store!
K: ....First you got to kiss a boy, then say "I love you," then ask him to marry you. (I may have to have a talk with her before too long)
S: Yep, Dad's dead...you owe me a new one!

C: I see a hole
D: A hole for what?
C: I don't know. Maybe Kelsey knows

C: Dad, I lost my hand
D: Oh no, Cody lost his hand
C: It's my band aid hand
C: I lost my arm
D: You still have one. Is it your band aid arm?
C: It's from a baby!

Scott has started the kids saying this when someone asks their name....only joking, of course. "What's your name?" "Pudentain! Ask me again and I'll tell you the same." Cody says it all the time....in a funny little Cody voice that is laughable without anything actually really funny about it. But this exchange was a bit funny....or maybe you had to be there.

C: What's your name?
D: Pudentain
C: No, it's Scott or something
D: Or something?
C: Actually it's Trees Head!
D: WHAT!!!!
EVERYONE laughed at that exchange.

Writing all of those brought it all back to the laughter for me. But as I read them aloud they really aren't that funny. I suppose a lot of what kids say is so funny because you really had to be there in the situation and laugh at the logic of a young child's brain. I love funny family exchanges like this. Kelsey became a backseat driver on this trip making sure I didn't run off the road into the houses. Cody sang along the way. Jordan, miraculously, made it the entire trip without an mp3 player....and actually handled it very well, telling me that it was one less thing to ground him from. I love my kids. Spencer was just happy to be in nature. I loved being with my family in such happy circumstances!

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Can't wait to see you all in a few days!