I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED!!!!! to get my Doctorate in Health Education & Recreation at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.Though I wasn't expecting this, or really was planning something different for the next couple years, I am excited (though nervous as well).
I went down last Thursday (June 17th) for a type of orientation for those receiving fellowships. Though I haven't officially received free money, the Assistant Dean invited me as an HONORARY Fellow and I took the opportunity to head down to campus and check things out for a couple days. Everyone I met was warm and friendly and very helpful. I met my Department Chair and got along with her great. I found out a lot of the faculty and some doctoral students are actually from BYU or Utah. I was able to meet one of them.
It just felt good INSIDE...outside was sweltering hot and humid. I walked all over campus and should have lost 20 lbs in sweat. Oh, I love the south! But campus was beautiful and I felt welcome. In the building that I will be spending a lot of my time in was this inscription,
"so enter...
That daily thou mayest
become more learned
and thoughtful.
"so depart...
That daily thou mayest
become more useful
to thy country
and to mankind."
Adapted from an inscription at Padua University
I liked that. I like inscriptions. A couple inscriptions at BYU are still looming huge in my brain. "Enter to learn. Go forth to serve." Sounds familiar, huh! Also at the Library, "Truth is obeyed when it is loved."
I have MANY thoughts about this whole new part of life. It is DEFINITELY a change. I also know that though it will be hard, it is also the best thing. Truly the only constant in life is change. Just as truly, variety is the spice of life. Just when I was getting so very secure in Effingham and my surroundings. Right now I am just going to commute. We'll see what the future brings. I'm planning on just getting out of the way and letting the Lord's plan take over. It is my nature to plan...to know what is coming next, and ENJOY that. I am going to really try to just LET GO and LET GOD!
LOTS more thoughts on the subject, but really I am just excited and anxious for this new stage in my life, in my family's lives! Doing things for the betterment of my family is first and foremost in my mind right now!
No comments:
Post a Comment