Friday, June 25, 2010

I LOVE Conversations with my Kids

PERIOD!

I loved being a mom of babies...though completely sleep deprived most of the time, I loved the coos and the feeding and the looking in each other's eyes, the bond, the love I felt that sometimes overwhelmed me, the EVERYTHING (except that sleep deprivation part). As they grew I found lots of fun things to enjoy and love about every stage. My kids were so darn cute...still are! And I loved them way more than I thought possible then, and that just seems to grow year by year, stage by stage.

They are all old enough now to really have conversations with them.

Jordan is 12 1/2 and we had a fabulous conversation on the way home from Scout Camp last night (we went to visit Scott who is there all month). He's not that little smiley kid anymore, but he's growing into a fabulously responsible and thoughtful youth. I enjoyed the conversation more than is possible to communicate in words. He's a good kid and I love being with him, talking with him, hanging out with him.

Spencer has a lot of thoughts and imaginations that I love when he shares them with me. He wonders a lot...wonders why things are the way they are and how they got that way. To enter that realm of his thinking astounds me. Usually I can't answer his wonderings but it is fun to explore them with him. "God made a beautiful world," is my usual answer!

Kelsey is an oh so typical little girl. Yesterday at the pool she found a friend and was off. I remember when I was younger my little sister would talk to my mom non-stop about her day....usually play by play, word by word. That wasn't my style, though I did enjoy talking to my mom. Kelsey is a mix of me and my sister....tells me a lot of details of what goes on in her school day (everyday), who did what, how she felt, etc. Last night she came with me to return a Wii game we rented and told me a lot of fun things. Conversations with her are exhilarating and exciting --- if I let myself enter that stage again.

And Cody! He is only 5 and has never been a big talker or conversationalist but he's starting now. And to hear and witness what comes out of his mouth, what he is thinking about usually cracks me up. He's so logical. Deer can duck out of the way if someone tries to shoot them. He can swim in the small pool but not the big because he is small. I do love talking to him...but mostly I love listening to him. He's a hoot!

So....I LOVE conversations with my Kids....I LOVE talking to them, listening to them, being a part of their ever changing and progressing lives!

PERIOD....or really, EXCLAMATION POINT!!!!!

2 comments:

Lynda said...

I remember those days so well!! Isn't it amazing how different each of our children are and how much we love those differences. It's also amazing that just when you think you can't possibly love someone more than you already do.....you do! Love you all. Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks.

Mama Mary said...

Wonderful, Denise - we NEED more Mom's like you. You really get it - what being a Mom really is. How blessed your little family is to have YOU for their Mom. Wish you could be my Mom :>) Love you and miss our conversations! OXOXO