Twenty years ago TODAY I was a nervous young adult, heading into the MTC to serve in the Canada Halifax Mission! Although I was completely excited and wanted to serve and knew I would have a GREAT time, I was a bit nervous too. I can remember the night before, laying in bed with my mom just talking! I can remember not knowing how to feel or what to really think. I can remember my sister's excitement to get my room. In fact, she was half moved in BEFORE I left for the MTC. I can remember my little sister being sad, my little brother too. I can remember the smell of the MTC, walking down the corridor being greeted by workers and other missionaries. I remember the good-bye and walking in the opposite direction as my family. (now they just drop missionaries off at the curb - no good-byes by walking the opposite way of each other) THAT wasn't as hard as I had envisioned, but still, I remember it well. I remember walking to the bookstore and picking up my packet and finding my companion's name. I remember it all so well!
Funny, I can't seem to remember yesterday or last week, but I remember almost every detail of 20 years ago!
My mission was a VERY defining moment in my life. DEFINING is pretty much an understatement! It exaggerated anything good about me and seemed to discard (to a degree) the not so good parts. I grew....how do I describe this in just a short blog post? In a short sentence or paragraph? I can't. Only those who have served a mission can truly understand. Well, I suppose my mom could tell, and other parents too. But not even she knew EVERYTHING that was going on inside of me. I would write and tell her, but it is one of those indescribable events that was the best time of my life. That, of course, is NOT to say it was ALL fun, ALL games, ALL easy. Most often growth in life comes only AFTER the trial of our faith.....AFTER the trials and struggles and hardships....AFTER the hard work, sweat, toil and tears! But it does come! Of that I can resolutely state! Gratefully it comes!
And so today I think about those many years ago. So very much of my life today is great because of those 18 month in the Canada Halifax Mission. I drove to the airport yesterday the same way I always do. I noticed yesterday that the restaurant we ate at the day I got home (May 29, 1992) has closed down. Funny, I think about it EVERY time I drive by.....how I felt coming home!
A mission is a strange experience....and greater blessings than I ever imagine possible have come into my life BECAUSE I chose to serve the Lord on a mission!
No comments:
Post a Comment