Happy Birthday, Kelsey...No Joke!
It seems that as my children grow up I get more and more reminiscent at each birthday. The other night I watched all of my children jumping on the trampoline. It was one of those proud mama moments. I looked at the size of Jordan towering over little Cody, yet all laughing together and having a fun time. My mind entered fast forward mode and I realized that in the not too distant future they will all be relatively the same size ... time goes quickly.
So this morning as we began Kelsey's celebration my mind was no different. I reflected on 8 years ago. I thought about my mom and sisters coming today. They came 8 years ago today also. I remember when Kelsey was born..."It's a girl!" I cried...yet somehow it was not a big shock. Somehow I knew she was Kelsey. I remember driving to the hospital only about an hour after my mom and sister had gotten to the house. I had fixed dinner. We ate and I showed them whatever new project I had undertaken since the last time they came...all the while breathing strategically through contractions. By 8pm it was no longer easy to handle on my own...so off we went to the hospital.
Scott and I didn't do girls names too well. In fact, I had only one picked out when I was pregnant with Jordan, and I don't remember ANY picked out when having Spencer. We don't find out what we are having so it would probably have been advantageous to at least have a THOUGHT of a girl's name. On the way to the hospital I asked if he had any thoughts on girls names. I had been calling "it" Kelsey for about a month in my head. He mentioned (at the 4 way stop about 100 yards from the hospital) Melody. I told him I had thought of Kelsey but that was really all the further the conversation got before all the hoopla began in the hospital.
I opted for the wheelchair this time....I was that far along I think. It wasn't long and her she came...BEFORE I could get that epidural! Scott was so excited. When they asked him what her name was (I guess everyone KNOWS beforehand anymore) he said, through tears, "Her name is Kelsey."
And so her life began. She was a great little baby (hence #4 came along). She would sleep for 12 hours a night from about 4-5 months on. No wonder it was an easy choice to go on with baby #4! I remember getting a card from Scott's aunt that said something about how I had a baby now but in 15 years I'd have a best friend! It hasn't taken 15 years!!! Kelsey is my very observant and kind daughter who lets me know she loves me in every way possible. She is always first to say how nice my hair, skirt, shoes, glasses, shirt, ETC look on any given day. She is also first to think about how I am feeling. Recently she has been doing GREAT at keeping her room clean. I love to watch her singing and dancing as she makes videos with my cell phone. I enjoy watching her read to herself and to all her dolls. Watching her get straight to her homework after school is amazing! And it surely doesn't hurt that she loves to play catch and basketball with me either!
No pictures today. My mom took some so I may post them tomorrow with more pics of her baptism. She is SO excited and that makes me HAPPY!
No comments:
Post a Comment