***Warning! Personal post....***
While sitting in Sacrament Meeting today listening to President Bednar speak about being good receivers of gifts my heart was touched. I wondered if I am a good receiver - and tried hard NOT to berate myself too much by saying that really, I am not. I want to be...but...sadly, I don't know that I am. I love GIVING gifts and seeing the wonder and excitement on their faces. My gifts are just gifts ... and I almost cringe as I write this, because they have to give a gift to mom. But really, the gifts from school...I DO absolutely LOVE them! They usually give them to me before Christmas day. But I sit here wondering if I have been a not so good receiver throughout my life, not because I don't like gifts, but....I don't know.
I ask silly questions like:
- Is it because I don't really need anything?
- Do I feel this way just because I am tired?
- Are their gifts not worthy of being excited over?
Mom always said, "Fake it til you make it." So....this year I won't fake it, but I will really work on being more excited and more of a gracious receiver. I want my kids to remember the wonder of Christmas and be excited to GIVE because of gracious receivers. I best show them that example now....and though it is easy to say that may kids are starting to be grown....
It's Never Too Late!
1 comment:
You know what Denise, I completely understand how you are feeling and your concern over being a good example. For some reason, I always feel like a terribe receiver of gifts. I do not know why I am not oozing with gratitude, but I generally don't. My family spends so much time every year joyfully giving gifts to others. We love to give and see the gratitude on others faces. I love your post and I see that I need to work on my own ability to graciously receive.
THank you, my friend.
Post a Comment