I didn't mean for it to get this bad....really!
But it has....and I can't seem to do anything about it! (major sad face).
I walked into Kelsey's room this morning to wake her up. I didn't have to navigate to her bed ... AT ALL! I looked around and it was so clean, almost immaculate. I felt a sudden twinge of ecstasy and happiness. I LOVE a clean uncluttered room (house for that matter). But I think the ONLY thing that clean in my house right now is Kelsey's room, and maybe me bathroom counter!
My mom would come to my defense and say that I am SOOOO busy....then she and my mother in law might remind me that my kids are old enough to clean up too. But, my mom would also say I never had a clean room growing up. Why did I NOT get her clean gene...or organized week of cleaning and getting everything done gene? She would say I am way more busy than she EVER was. But still...It is easy to feel like a failure when it comes to a clean house, or having kids who automatically clean up after themselves. But I don't have those kids.
But I DO have a lot of other good qualities! Take for instance going to school. Right now I am writing (and living) my dissertation research about women with children who go to school...how do they balance the multiple roles and demands of two very greedy institutions? Frankly, I don't know. I do know a lot comes down to expectations and attitude.
And so....I have a messy house but my kids know I love them and my dissertation is slowly but surely progressing. My mom once told me a lady in her Ward at church was the RS President. She said that while she was in that demanding calling her baseboards just never got clean....or the closets. So that is my stance (not that my baseboards are EVER my first priority) - things will get a lot cleaner when I've completed this dissertation (I hope).
3 comments:
I felt I was there talking to you! You know exactly what I would say. You are busy. I am not that busy and I seldom clean. Lucky for me I have Nicky who cleans all the time. Of course we do have cyclone Gavin to keep us picking things up after him all the time too.
I love how you wrote: my house is messy, but my children know I love them. That statement right there speaks volumes. Isn't that the most important thing in the world? That they KNOW you love them. Messy houses can wait - children grow up too fast. At the end of the day when I look at my messy house, I think what did I do today.
I feed my children, I read to them and played with them. I calmed an upset child, and most of all I hugged them and kissed their little cheecks and enjoyed their company.
Cleaning and organizing is satisfactory, but it's just going to get messy again, and when it does, you know your children are having fun and being kids!!
You do great things!
Yes! We could each have written this - talking about us instead of you!! :) I'm right there with ya, sista!!
LynnEl
Post a Comment