Friday, October 4, 2013

What I Wish I'd Known While Living at Home

My mom is awesome! I think I always have known this but it took me becoming a mother to really understand. I had some times during my rocky teenage years where I KNEW she cared more for my other siblings than me or when I KNEW she was the meanest mom in the universe.

I look back now and cringe as I wait for my kids to do the same knowing that someday I hope to be as great in their eyes as my mom is in mine.

I wish when I was living under her roof that:
  1. I really knew how much she loved me and would do ANYTHING for me if she could
  2. I saw that she NEVER bought new clothes for herself but we always had what we needed
  3. I knew of the nights she must have cried wondering if our relationship would ever be better
  4. I saw the time and energy she spent attending EVERY one of my MANY ballgames and then was more grateful
  5. I paid more attention to her than to myself
  6. I took the time to learn the homemaking skills she rocked like canning, bread making, an organized and clean house and and and
  7. I helped out more without complaining 
  8. I noticed that our clean house was because SHE had spent ALL day making sure it was that way
  9. I noticed my clean clothes or uniform when I needed it
  10. I was more grateful that she always made a plate of dinner for me and put it in the microwave and that I TOLD her Thank You
Sure, she'll read this and discount ALL of them, but MOM....DON'T! They are TRUE!

She just had a birthday on Oct 2. I called and had the same chat I always do....the one where I am left in awe at my wonderful mom...the one where I call to wish her a happy birthday and I end up being the one uplifted and feeling better...the one where we laugh about silly and difficult things...the one that helps me to go on with my day/week/month/life!

What I think I wish the most is that I would have UNDERSTOOD more....LISTENED more....LEARNED more...and had an attitude of GRATITUDE more! Mother's give it all and rarely know if what they are doing is making a difference, or if it is actually getting through to their children. I'm here to tell ya, MOM, that it did! You did a GREAT job....I wouldn't be who I am today without YOU!




1 comment:

Lynda said...

I believe I've told you the story before of when Dad and I went out to eat one evening and he said, "It's a good thing we have Denise so that we don't think we completely blew it in the parenting department!" We seldom had to worry that you were off doing something you shouldn't be doing. I love you mostest!