Wednesday, August 5, 2015

A Testimony Shall Be Found in the Bearing of It

In 1982 Pres Boyd K Packer, then Elder Packer, gave a talk to new mission presidents....in it he stated "A testimony shall be found in the bearing of it." I don't remember that talk, nor do I believe I read the talk in the Ensign in 1983. That wasn't my mojo way back then. But I DO remember Sis Maisie Van Mondfrans and her husband giving a lesson in church and saying essentially this very thing. She then challenged us to bear our testimonies that next Fast Sunday. She did....I don't remember if I did or not. But the edict has stayed with me and the vision of her bearing her testimony those MANY years ago is imprinted in my mind and heart forever.

Often when I bear my testimony I think just this thought....I am growing my own testimony!

I am writing this because I want it kept for posterity....I want a record more than just one in my head and imprinted in my heart. I want my family to remember this day forever....even if just through our blog book as years go by.

No pictures....just tears of joy and heartfelt words.

I know that God lives! But MY testimony is NOT why I write this morning......here is the story.

Last week sometime the missionaries challenged Jordan to bear his testimony in Sac Mtg. The rule was he and Elder Petersen had to use the quirky words Scott always uses when being funny....Plethera of Logistical Devices.

Well....here's how my tears began....I was already feeling the Spirit of MY OWN testimony this past Sunday. Elder Petersen had given me a challenge to read the Book of Mormon in 30 days. I just finished .... on Sunday I had read MOST of it and was feeling especially sensitive to the Spirit. Well, Scott got up to bear his testimony. What a beautiful testimony of the Book of Mormon! As he came back down to sit in our row Jordan got up. I thought he was just getting up to let Scott back in but nope! He got up and bore his testimony FIRST...before E Petersen! It was a short sweet testimony, but he also testified of the Book of Mormon...how he was challenged but isn't going so fast. But when he reads it, it brightens his day! Unleash the flood gates. I'm not sure there is ANYTHING greater to me than to see that my children have a testimony!!!

A couple weeks ago Cody decided he would be screen free....it was hard but he did it....but only for most of that day. Summer with friends is hard when they come over or he goes there and it is 110 degrees outside. They play outside until they are fully melted and exhausted. When they come in, the PlayStation and a movie are good diversions in his mind. OH well....he decided he would be device free when school starts. So in Sac Mtg he kept nudging me to go up and bear my testimony telling everyone of his challenge to himself. WHY? I asked....because I know I'll get blessings. While I couldn't see just going up to say that...I finally went up (but not before challenging Kelsey to bear hers....she said she would if I went first). I am grateful for these challenges....not that it takes a challenge to get me up there, but it is a challenge that happens monthly in our little row at church....with nothing happening, except maybe Scott and I getting up to STRENGTHEN our own testimonies ;)

Anyhow, I got up and Cody just beamed. When I sat down Kelsey showed me the testimony she had written out. It wasn't long and she went up. Wow! My tears just didn't stop....where were my tissues??!!! Cody then started saying that maybe he would get up? REALLY???? This from the kid who didn't want to give his talk in Primary that very day...how we had to almost bribe him....and say he could stand at his chair and NOT go to the front???? But he skirted past me quickly...overcome by the Spirit...and went up all by himself. Again, short and sweet....but heartfelt!

(**Cody then LOVED giving his talk in Primary IN FRONT of everyone....the Spirit overwhelms and our hearts change. I'm grateful for the Spirit)

I was beaming...I was bawling....I was completely overtaken by the Spirit. I imagine I could have fallen to the ground as all the Book of Mormon folk I felt so full! I didn't think I could feel ANY better! And then Spencer stood up and bore his testimony!!!

REALLY????

My ENTIRE family bore their testimony on ONE day? Some may have thought it the Demers' day....and hopefully not in a bad way. To me I was just full of the Spirit. FULL!!

What more can I say?

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Beautiful! When I talked to Jordan he told me about the Scott challenge and the funny words. What a great family. Love you all.