Friday, August 7, 2015

Summer 2015

The the title of this post....we all KNOW it will be long. It may even take me multiple days to finish, or at least multiple times sitting down to do it. But, with it being so FULL of things....I don't want to rush over the words....the thoughts and experiences. However, this summer was different....so maybe words won't suffice.

Let me just jump in ...

********BYU WOMEN'S CONFERENCE********

Because of MANY snow days, the kids didn't get out of school until June 3....which made the summer seem so SHORT. I had finished up UCA the end of April and went to BYU Women's Conf. It is ALWAYS good to go home, to see old friends, and be uplifted.

These pictures are in no apparent order...Here is Pete and Noreen Peterson. I first met them when I went to Israel on a CES tour in 1994. They have been my good friends ever since. It was Noreen that asked me to speak at BYU Women's Conf in 2009. And she spoke this year. OF COURSE I HAD to go to her class and get a pic!!!
 Photo booths are all over the Marriot Center. It was fun to snap a shot with my sisters and mom
 The bridge to the Marriot Center...one of my favorite shots (not of me but of the Y, etc)
 High School best friend - Collette Schlappi Worthington
 After High School best friend...Diane Garrett and I played softball before she was married, before my mission, after marriage and missions and children. She played third and I played short...and we would rub shoulders each time we each did something well. I LOVE her!!
 The REAL reason I came...hahaha! These cute kiddos have my heart! Ellie and Gavin were excited to see me...but I was MORE excited to see THEM!
 Playing Red Light Green Light in Grandma's backyard


 My dad...it's always fun to go HOME to see my dad
 Ruth Agla is in my mom's ward. She became a friend when I went to visit once...about 10 years ago. My mom had told me that there was a sister in her ward that reminded her of me in ALL ways. She was even pregnant with her son, Korbin, while I was pregnant with Cody (both born in March 2005). She taught Sunday School and I just went up to introduce myself. We now get together each time I come home.
 Oh wow! Chad Anderson! We were in the MTC together...he went to the Philippines and I went to Canada. We kept in contact throughout our entire missions and a little after. He now lives near Logan so when he found out I was in town came to visit...JUST before I left for the airport!! It was SOOO good to see him and meet his wife! MANY memories came flooding through....I hadn't seen him really since 1992 or 1993.
 Saying good-bye to my mom at the airport!

It was a QUICK trip, but filled with love and fun and friends and good times! I LOVE going HOME!

When I got back I jumped straight into my May Intercession class....I shoved a 16 week course into 3 weeks. It was intense.....and when I finished I went straight to work....

********TOTAL LANDSCAPING SOLUTIONS********

Because UCA pays only through the school year, and because we had to use most of what I should have been saving for the summer to pay for a house that hadn't sold before we moved AND a rental as well as catching up after all the move...yikes...I picked up a summer job for a month to make ends meet. 

I was a landscaper....which is really a glorified word for a YARD WORKER! I weeded, edged, trimmed, mowed, mulched, and planted flowers along with sweated profusely and got completely 100% worn out every day! But really, I LOVED it! I loved working with Jordan and I loved working with Brody. They made the heat bearable!
 It is hard to see, but a little inch worm was on Brody's hat...hahaha
It was the SMALL pleasures that made this job enjoyable

 My last day...Brody Brown

In July, Scott got a job and I got to (had to by this time) quit to be home where I would much rather be...with my kiddos. I was still teaching an online course.....so it gave me more time to do my REAL job and spend time with my kids.

********SWIMMING with the CONWAY CROCS********

Kelsey and Spencer swam for the Conway Crocs and did GREAT! Not sure if they just aren't as good here as in Illinois, or if both of them were just THAT good. But both of them rocked their age groups. At the Meet of Champs Kelsey took 1st overall in the backstroke and Spencer did in the fly and IM. I was just pleased and proud and happy to watch them at their meets. Here are a couple pics to remember the year. We made some new friends along the way too.


















And Kelsey got the Sportsmanship Award for the summer!!! Go Kelsey!!! 

 ********CANOEING********

This summer, thanks to UCA and friends, we did a little canoeing! I can rent a canoe for free and Wooly Hollow is close enough and not too terribly expensive when I DON'T rent one. Spencer and I floated Cadron Creek with Mary Davis and LiliAnna. Cody and I went the Nicci Kelly and her boys, Isaiah and Isaac, to Wooly Hollow. BOTH were fun times!!!

 Spencer spent a lot of the time swimming the river and wanting to swing from the many tree swings along the way. This was the best one....we didn't stop at all of them or we may STILL be there!
 He also wanted to CLIMB a lot...not sure what he wanted to do more, canoe or climb. I think the canoe was a great avenue TO the climbing!
Wooly Hollow with Cody








********EFFINGHAM********

When I was living in Effingham I used to lament that if I moved I would NEVER have a reason to return since there is NOTHING there and my family doesn't live there. However, I found that ALL my FRIENDS became my family! And I have returned more this summer than I thought I would. It has been fun to reunite!!!
 Got to see Tammy at the softball game....Kelsey had spent the night with her!
 Can't go to Effingham without stopping at Homewood Grill
 Michael and Rachelle Gadberry had a reception on July 11....what fun to see a LOT of old friends all in one place














 Sam stole the dance show





 These boys have seen a lot of each other...:D
 And Spencer spent a few hours with Jay Borries
 I miss this sight!!!
 I spent the time with Cindy and Sam our first trip up...June 5-7
We went to the Lincoln Log Cabin

********MISSIONARIES AND ROCK CLIMBING********

Enough said....the pics say it all! Spencer has REALLY gotten in to rock climbing this summer. We go down to Hendrix college almost every week now.




 Elder Petersen....I love this Elder!!


 Elder Boggess....another of those I love!
 These two will forever be in my heart!!!
 Elder Faasipa! Entered my heart on Mother's Day when he didn't have a way to call or skype with his mom. NO WAY was that happening on my watch. I let him use my phone to call American Somoa....AT&T gave me a huge discount later! LOVE helping missionaries!


If I don't just finish here I'll never get back to it. THIS is long enough...but it highlights our summer (so far - yes, we only have a week left, but in that week we are heading out west to Idaho and Utah for a quick trip!)

No comments: