Sunday, November 13, 2016

Famous Last Words .... until they are, and it's too late!


The last couple years of my PhD program I lived with a lady named Linda Schack! A couple of the professors in our Dept were members of the church. They asked at church is anyone was willing to rent me a room, or space on their couch, and Linda was the one they suggested.

I am SOOOO glad and eternally grateful for my time with her!

She lived alone. Her husband had passed away some years ago and her health was such that she slept in her chair. "I can't let you sleep on a couch. You can have MY room!" She never slept in the bed, so she let me have the room. I not only appreciated her letting me stay there, but really gained a great friend. I would come home exhausted (both mentally and physically....but mostly mentally) and we would sit and watch goofy old shows like Matlock, Little House on the Prairie, and Golden Girls. It was EXACTLY what I needed....EXACTLY! I had a quiet place to stay that I felt comfortable in and was able to serve her as she served me! She wouldn't let me pay her so instead I helped her around the house. First it was the Christmas tree. I took out the garbage a lot. She had a hard time walking. I would clean up her kitchen and bathroom.

The last time I left, knowing I wouldn't be back since I was graduating, I snapped a pic of a piece of her mail so I would have her address....to send her a card, of course!

And I meant to...I REALLY did. I was GOING to bring my family by after graduation so she could meet them. I was GOING to send a thank you card, more than the simple one I left the last day I was at her place. Then I moved to Arkansas, and I was GOING to send a Christmas card....but I didn't. NOT ONE TIME!!! And I THOUGHT of it a MILLION times. Probably a million more too.

But I NEVER did. NEVER. And I feel bad...still.

Last week (or the one before) a couple came to our ward visiting. They were from Carbondale. I introduced myself and they said, "Oh YOU are the student that stayed with Linda Schack!" Someone how I knew that she had passed away, but I didn't want it to be so....I wanted to still GET AROUND TO writing her a letter. So when I asked, it did not surprise me to hear that she had, shortly after I graduated.

When my Grandpa Sproul died, I promised myself to ALWAYS let people know how I feel because I NEVER know if I will see them again. I had had a feeling THREE times to stop on my way back to Utah from Idaho. But I DIDN'T! He died a couple days later.....and I felt horrible. THAT is when I made the promise. Thankfully I HAD 'told' Linda thank you and how much she meant to me. But how much BETTER would it have been to get a card in the mail. She was alone and pretty much confined to her home MOST of the time.

So again, I make a promise....to be more diligent in following the promptings of the Spirit, the SUPER SMALL whisperings as well any bigger lightning strikes I may feel. "Call so and so" "Send a text to XXX" "Walk around the other building this time"

And so I NEVER want those famous last words to be I wish I would have......because then it is too late!

1 comment:

Lynda said...

So true! I'm sure she knew how much you enjoyed staying with her. Those promptings are such a blessing......especially if we listen to them and act upon them. Love you.