Sunday, February 13, 2011

Just Rewards ... Or Not

To my recollection, I was a pretty easy kid that didn't get into trouble too often.  Now I am pretty sure my mother could set the record straight if needed, but ... I do know that I had my teenage "moments" like all teenagers.

Yesterday Jordan was having a teenage "moment" and asked us WHY he had to go with us (to this coolest place, I might add - to come later in the post).  I started laughing and told him for two reasons, 1) so we could endure what our  parents had to endure, and 2) to build character.  I'm quite positive every parent curses their children with a child "just like [you]."

Where we were going was the Ballard Nature Center.  I understand his thoughts...I imagine at that age I would have made life miserable too (although I hope not).  The event was entitled "Water, Water Everywhere!"  On the outside it didn't seem to exciting for him....or even really at all. All water is doing around here lately is FREEZING ... but it proved to be quite an exciting evening.  We got there WAY too early (a mix up in advertising - which made Jordan's teenage "moment" all the more HUGE) but ended up glad we stayed.  A Science Professor from EIU came and did a Science show for us...then the kids got to go from station to station trying out science experiments with water

i.e. floating pennies on aluminum foil in water
 blowing bubbles
playing with "oobleck"

Not Spencer though...I KNEW he would dive right in!

The show at the beginning was the best.  Even Kelsey and Spencer got to "help" with a couple experiments.  He made some fire....lit a dollar bill on fire....etc
 
 It was a fun night.

Earlier that day...Spring seems to have sprung (at least for the moment)!  The kids were outside playing playing playing.  How nice...for everyone.  And today they are outside again.  I don't want to get my hopes up...but I sure could use some SPRING!  Surely SPRING is a "just reward" for all this winter we have endured!
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
Much easier to climb the tree this way!
And today was JUST AS NICE!  After church the kids got changed and went RIGHT outside!  They all had a ball....and I enjoyed hearing the sounds of kids laughing and playing OUTSIDE!
 
 
Of course, it must be said that in order to even GET on the trampoline, we had to remove the HUMONGOUS slab (bowl shaped slab) of ice ... too heavy for me and the boys, Scott had to help me get it off today after a lot of melting had taken place.  The tarp to the right of the tramp is FULL of the slab.

No comments: