Sunday, February 6, 2011

What I'd Like to be Known For

In high school I was known as "Little D."  Mostly because when I played basketball I was the shorter of the 2 of us with names beginning with D.  Being vertically challenged isn't so bad.  A long time ago I adopted the saying, "My feet reach the ground, and that is all I need."

Today I think I realized that Jordan has finally topped me.  "My feet hit the ground, and that is all I need" is not coming to mind to say.  I just can't believe he REALLY is taller than I am.  Where did my Snuggle Bunny Sweet Pea Pal go?  Where did that little witty boy who was a total mimic in anything we wanted him to say...and would say it so cutely?  How about that kid who loved to ..... I could go on and on and on!

But thankfully, being known for height is not something that will EVER happen, nor do I aspire to that title!

Throughout life I have had many nicknames....but only a few I really care for!  My dad was the nick name King and back when I was very young there was a TV show about a cop named Fish....I can't remember much about the show, not even the name of it.  But I remember watching it with my dad and family.  Fish's wife was named Bernice.  Well, characteristic of my dad, he started calling me "Bernice, how's Fish?"  How he came up with that I really DO NOT KNOW!  I hated it...but always laughed because it came from him.  It was one of those nick names that ONLY the person who gave you the nick name was allowed to CALL you by said nick name.

I think the one that stuck most was De...or at least I still call myself that from time to time (usually when I am talking to myself in some fitness or athletic mode).  I like it.

But that is not ideally what I'd like to be known for.  I remember reading in Mosiah 19:1 where the priests of the wicked King Noah searched in vain for "the people of the Lord."  I determined that I wanted to be known as a "person of the Lord."  I can't say that I always succeed, but I sure try...and at least think about it often.

Yesterday I found something else I want to be known for ... hard work.  I was shoveling the driveway (getting the 4" of snow off the 2" of ice).  Kelsey was out helping me.  Of all the things she could say, she said exactly what I needed.  "I want to be just like you....a hard worker!"  I don't think she knew just how my heart swelled within me.  Sure, it would be nice to be known as the prettiest mom, or the coolest mom, or...or...or...!  But THIS is much better in my eyes.

So....that is what I'd like to be known for...being a HARD WORKER!

*********************************
Short adendum....through comments I have been reminded that the show is called Barney Miller.  How could I forget that? 

3 comments:

Lynda said...

Necer, I have always known you as a hard worker. The one that can do anything she wants to do. The one who can cuddle a child, build a room, build furniture, go back and get a Doctorate after being away from school for several years, do the electrical in a new room just by having her brother on the phone telling her what to do, the one who has friends everywhere she goes, the one that sees what needs to be done and does it, the one who hops on a plane to take care of her Mom....now I could go on and on and on! I sure love you.

Patty O. said...

I think the show was Barney Miller....

My dad used to call me Stinky. Still does sometimes. Why do dads come up with the worst nicknames?

That is so awesome that Kelsey recognizes how hard you work. What better way to teach your kids to work hard than to live by example?

Great post!

Marilee said...

Be so thankful that your child recongnizes this important quality. That is a spiritual child!