Sunday, August 28, 2011

Girls Camp 2011

How Great Shall Be My Joy!!!!

Oh, I LOVE Girls Camp!!!  I love the Young Women, the leaders, the activities, the Spirit, sleeping in a tent and talking all night (or falling asleep after just 3 tracks of Harry Potter while WAITING so I could stay up talk all night), the food and fun and friends!  I love EVERYTHING about Girls Camp.  I suppose EVERYTHING would include the heat....THAT may be one thing that I don't like so much, but ... it wasn't so bad this year, thankfully!

Without further adieu....here is my synopsis and maybe even some of what I learned this year!

Day 1 was filled with the normal setting up tents, a service project, a fabulous dinner, and great evening program!  This year the Effingham Branch bought a new tent for the Young Women.  ALL the YW fit in it and had a great time.  Each one of them helped to put it up....which was pretty easy.  Then they helped me with my tent....I love the YW.  We shared a campsite with Mattoon.  I don't think I have EVER got to stay with them.  I was overjoyed....I love their YW too.

I was pretty hot and sweaty and, therefore, not in the most excited mood to do the service project. Don't get me wrong, I happily went along with it....was just hot and sweaty and TIRED already!  I thought back to the first time I began a service project as the Stake Camp Director.  I felt very strongly about giving something back to Camp Drake.  Our theme that year revolved around pioneers and all I could think of was how they went out front and made things livable for the next set of pioneers to come to.  As I helped the YW clear a trail I remembered the trail the older YW blazed down a ravine my first year.  Cody was sleeping in the Cook's apartment and just as we got started they radioed out to me that he was awake and needed to be fed.  Sadly, I went back, knowing that I wouldn't get to participate in finishing that trail.  I remembered how I got to make it wider last year  
FROM LAST YEAR
(and a little note...google +  stinks....took ALL my blog pics from previous years when I took them off picasa web albums....probably MY fault....but still....dumb feature!   All that said because I can't link this back to that picture from LAST year's Girls Camp!!!:(  )


Diapers and feedings ended and I was able to finish (albeit 5 years later) the project I so wanted to be a part of the first year!  I thought as I cleared the trail of how it helps Camp Drake and if they notice.  However, service isn't about whether or not they notice or give praise or whatever....it's about the Spirit of giving and how we feel about doing it.  I tried to improve my hot, sweaty, and tired attitude.  I realized I'd help Camp Drake any day of the year....I love that place so much!
Young Women the world around gather, I bet, each night of the summer somewhere around the world at an evening program designed to foster friendships, testimonies, and the Spirit.  Each of our evening programs were just that way this year.  Gratefully, our first night was filled with a spectacular display of tears, trust, and a learning experience for all! Becky Payne, the Stake Camp Director, gave us an experience many will never forget.  We were told to pick a partner and form an inner and outer circle - one partner on the inside and one on the outside.  She gave each of us 2 popsicle sticks and told us that we were all on a sinking boat.  In order to be saved we had to end the game with 2 popsicle sticks.  This was a game of 7 inches....being only 7 inches away from our partner without talking, only  with speaking with our eyes.

Our eyes only were the windows to our soul and how we felt.  She would talk us through a little experience (i.e. think of your friendship with this person...tell them with your eyes how you value them.  Think of this person as their mother sees them, as the Savior sees them....tell them with your eyes how the Savior feels about them, something you feel they need to know, how you understand and feel what they feel, etc).  It was then time to close our eyes and show our trust of the person in front of us by giving them our popsicle sticks.  We gave as many as we trusted....0 if we didn't trust them at all to 2 if we would trust them with our life!  As we opened our eyes we were to thank the person and then move on.

Undoubtedly, this was going to be an experience where the Spirit came quietly, quickly, and profoundly - where hearts were touched and lessons were learned! 


Gratefully, Becca was my first partner....no matter the snickers and the giggles, nothing kept me from seeing the trust in her eyes.  It wasn't difficult to give her all my sticks and it was not shocking, but a great burst in my heart, to receive 2 in return.  We would open our eyes and the outside circle would move one space over...so we were able to do this with a lot of people!  I would look up and see the next person...someone I had known for a long time and loved more than I can imagine.  Tears came before they even sat down.  Sadly, most of the time I had only 1 popsicle stick to give in return.  It killed me to trust them beyond measure and not be able to give them what would show that trust....except my eyes (and hopefully they could tell from my eyes that I would have given them all I had).  And harder yet was this 1 popsicle trial when I sat across from a young woman.  I didn't want them to think I didn't trust them worth all I had.  Most kept quiet.  Many had tears.  All had a good experience.

And then there was Jana Allan!  How is it that I always have a huge experience with her on the first night?  I love it, really!  Again, my tears had begun before she even fully sat down.  Our relationship is strong and I knew it.  I was excited to feel it through our eyes...only this time Sis Payne said to NOT look at the person.  THAT may have been the hardest thing I did ALL of Camp this year.  I wondered if she was just joking and if Jana was looking at me and I not at her.  However, as we got to the "close your eyes and exchange popsicle sticks" part, it wasn't hard to know that we both trusted each other completely!  How hard it was to NOT look at one of my closest friends!!!!
I love this pic of Jana and Emily Jamison's little girl
It lasted about 8 more people after that.  I wondered at the YW and what they were thinking.  At times I knew they had more sticks than they gave.  I thought for a bit if I didn't seem trustworthy, but then I wondered how it must feel as a youth to give up EVERYTHING you have that ties you to safety.  I also wondered how they felt giving only 1 when others would give them 2!  I didn't judge them...just hoped they understood that we, as leaders, trust them with so much!  THEY are wonderful Young Women! 
No sooner had I thought that I had cried all the tears I could when it was announced that the person that was on the outside circle was supposed to return to the person they were NOT allowed to look at.    Tears flowed as I saw Jana coming back!   We just cried....I knew how grateful she was to come back as she knew the same of me.  Prior to Jana coming back it was announced that the person we were NOT able to look at could represent someone we overlooked for one reason or another.  How could I make someone feel like that?????  At the time I had 2 sticks and she had 1.  I saw the pain in her eyes as she could only give me 1, knowing it was ALL she had to give!


Years of friendship wound up into a knot in our stomachs as she got up to move on and it was announced that THIS was the end of the game....those that had 2 sticks were to head to the front of the arena SAFE.  Those without 2 were left behind.  Jana about lost it....she couldn't leave me behind.  What a horrible feeling.  I knew it wasn't on purpose but so much of the feeling was wrapped around losing such a close friend...or even ANYONE!  It was profound for me!  When I spoke to Jana about this she shed a new perspective (as she so often does for me).  She said that she was grateful it was me that she wasn't supposed to look at.  Our friendship would ALWAYS be strong.....but how it would have killed her also to have a YW feel like she wasn't worth looking at!


Obviously those that were safe weren't jumping for joy for "winning" the game!  Sis Payne said that if ANY of them had extra sticks they could rescue another.  THIS was a profound experience for a lot....thankfully, Susan Bundy rescued me!  The Spirit was flying all around...settling in hearts and rolling down cheeks.  It was ....


Ubiquitous!!!!  And unbelievable....and ...

Realizing the deeper parts of the experience were key for me and a lot of others.  I always enjoy hearing what the YW have to offer...have learned and taken away from the many experiences prepared for their spiritual growth.  But usually it is in the quiet moments alone with them that they share the most.  For me, I just wanted them to know how VERY VERY much we, as leaders, trust them!!!  I think I would have liked knowing that as a youth, so I shared it with them!

Two different times I had pretty profound and very specific thought about the YW.  I had them with every YW, but a couple were more profound than others.  If only I could have said something.....hopefully they felt it through the Spirit!!!

Every year at Girls Camp is great!  The Monday night dance party is always fun.  This year they added a pool party...which mean that since it was more than HOT the pool party had more attendees than the dance party.





I'd say, YES, it WAS HOT HOT HOT that night!!!


So...bedtime came earlier than I thought.  I had my HUGE Vacation Cottage of a tent all to myself the first night.  It was kind of weird to sleep ALONE!  Not the sleeping part...but with NO ONE around.  The rest of the time Becca came to spend the time in my tent....I love camping with Becca!
What more can I say???
Too bad the first night we spent together I got back from the shower earlier and even though I tried hard to stay awake while waiting...I fell completely and fully asleep!  The bright light was RIGHT near my head but still....I zonked hard.  I usually can't fall asleep with a light on.  I must have been tired.  NO, I was exhausted!!!  After going back to listen to Harry Potter I found that I had only stayed coherent through 3 tracks....those 12 minutes seemed a lot longer!!!!
It was very hot again this year....for the first couple days at least.  I always enjoy looking back at the Monday night dance pics....sweaty sweaty sweaty, but fun fun fun!!!

Many activities it doesn't matter...we just forge forward!  Like the hike...it was muggy but FUN!  Becca and Becky Payne and I were the adult leaders.  Hiking with Becca is always fun.  Our Youth Leaders were great too.  They forged the trail instead of ME.  I hate getting rid of those nasty spiders!!  But hiking with Becca means conversation...she is a great conversationalist.  She has questions and we all just answer...some bring stories and experiences, some don't.  But it is fun no matter what!  I enjoy hiking tho....so I suppose getting someone who hates hiking to say it was great would be a great accomplishment.  I hope that all the YW at some point in their lives get to experience the beauty of nature and love hiking (walking) through it!
Easy to take a nice pic when it isn't in the MIDDLE of the path




Or canoeing....being on the water when it is hot seems to not matter much.  I didn't get in a canoe this year...I didn't feel like it.  But watching and photographing the others was great.  And I also love the hike down there.  I have been going to Camp Drake for many years...and each year I head down to Poncho Pond numerous times.  This year it was just once....I love remembering all the years prior as I walk.  For some reason that is what happens to me on that hike.  I remember just about every time I've been on that walk....and something happened.  I remember Cody losing his prized Lightning McQueen off the swinging bridge once when I took my family!  I remember holding countless girl's hands as they walk (swayingly) across that same swinging bridge-singing primary songs to calm their troubled nerves.  I remember the one specific spot where there is a very small little waterfall..ish thing.  I have pointed it out to many as the most beautiful part of the walk.  I didn't take a picture of it this year tho :(  Then one year Aubrey Dokos pointed it out to me.  That was neat!  So I remember a lot of little things...even Becca slipping down the steps one time and all I had was a frozen water bottle!  I don't know why that walk is that way for me...it just is!

Never mind just hanging out in the Dining Hall with friends!  So many fun things happen in the Dining Hall...so many friendships forged or renewed and strengthened.  This year we had a fashion show.  I got to announce.  I think people think I am funny...but really I am not!  But I enjoy being part of all the fun things they do and have them love to have me a part of it all.


Young Women love to have fun!  They love to be with each other...they love the Spirit and feeling of Girls Camp (despite the heat and bugs - I think).

 







Ordinary young women doing extraordinary things for a week.  This year Becky Payne put together a "leadership activity" - a zip line across the ravine!  This was a huge highlight for a lot of the young women!  I had a great time hauling them across....well, sort of.  I also gained a greater insight into forgiveness and being offended.  Funny, Jana Allan had just shared a story about some lady who found it easy to forgive others because she rarely let them offend her.  When something happened that had the potential to offend me....that experience came to my mind and I didn't let it offend me.  I love when the Spirit works like that!  Anyhow....not on the YW loved it...the leaders did too.  We got a chance to go across on Thursday.  I had a great time.  If I would have stood there long enough I could have wound myself into nervousness.  Instead I just jumped off and had a great time.  At the very last....I went again.  I jumped off....and that silly tree was right in my path.  Most of us had come close but this time I knew I wasn't just "coming close," I was going to hit it.  So...I put my feet out and protected myself...or so I thought.  I bounced off but headed right back for it a second time...only this time back first.  Sadly, it still hurts!  I thought it would only be a bruise....but no bruise.  I'm just sore.  After watching the video I realize it looked A LOT worse than it felt going through the ordeal.  Life is a lot like that...when we are doing something that may hurt it may not seem that bad. But looking back at it we realize it was worse than we originally thought.  No broken bones....I was blessed!


Fire building with Bro Springer is another highlight!  This year they separated it into years....what a brilliant idea.  With such a cozy small number so many were able to learn so much more!  I had a great time....as usual...taking pictures and handing out matches.  Only this time I didn't hand out many at all.  The Young Women spent a lot of time in preparation (the most important part) and therefore most only used a match (or maybe 2).









Photographing all the firebuilders is always my favorite.  But just when I thought I was only taking pictures...I was down on the ground helping to build a fire with them.  I do love that.  I think I helped with 4 fires this year.  It was a lot of fun.  Bro Springer is SO good with the YW.  They all love him.  And so do I.  He has been at Camp every year I have been (minus my first year when I went as a Unit Leader).  
Regardless of the many spiritual experiences, often the YW don't realize the great learning experiences at Girls Camp at first.  But they love the place and come back each year ready for the love and friendship.  It seems each experience becomes part of a greater good....a longing to linger and stay and be in this atmosphere forever!

And so it is with me...my children ask why I love Girls Camp so much....so much to go back year after year after year.

You see, every time it is the same for me....filled with love and friendship and the Spirit!  I take away so much...I only hope that I give that much back!

Eager to feel that again and again I sometimes fail to let my family know exactly why it means the world to me.  Scott helped me to realize that this year.  So I had to put it into words...something difficult to do!  It means so much to me....so I tried.

Remember how you feel when you are so happy and so comfortable and feel so safe?  

Although the weather is yucky and the bugs are nasty, there is just a feeling there that surpasses so many others I can think of.  I truly believe that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are there....the Spirit is far too strong to be merely from the love of the YW and the leaders!

No where can  I receive so much bucket filling at one time!  I come away full of the Spirit, full of hope, full of love for others and for my God!  I feel full of the love of God and have so much more to offer when I come home. (or at least after I take a nap...a much needed nap!!!)

Dances, canoe rides, hiking, blazing and clearing trails, singing, learning, reading the scriptures...these are just the actions.  So much more goes into the planning....so much more comes out with the learning!  

I never cease to be amazed at the friendships that are fostered, the crafts that are created, the talents that are shown, the strength of character these YW have!  I never cease to marvel at their goodness.  I can't wait til Kelsey can come with me.  She asks every year if this is the year she can come.  Oh I wish....but she is only 8.  We still have four more years!!!

Love is abundant....what more can I say?

Oh, this is not to say that there aren't trials.  These make up the feeling also.  Overcoming....getting past it...and coming out on top add to the strength of the Spirit at Girls Camp.  Girls will be girls and sometimes fight.  But really, the trials are overcoming fear...or something we may not feel either comfortable with, or good at, or whatever!

Valor is what comes to mind....the value and worth of each Young Woman!  When I looked up a definition of valor this is what it said, "the qualities of a hero or heroine; exceptional or heroic courage when facing danger (especially in battle); "[s]he showed great heroism in battle"; "[s]he received a medal for valor."

Exceptionally stated!!!  These are truly Young Women of VALOR...of value, of worth.  And I love each one of them.

Young women are wonderful!  What more can I say?

Of course....the friendships and relationships I have with the leaders far surpass anything I could have imagined for myself when I was a Young Woman!  God is good to me....He has surrounded me with so many wonderful people!  My joy is full when I surround myself with such great souls.  The 3rd verse of Aubrey's song says it best: "Surrounded by others who believe as I do, strengthened by feeling their love and faith. As I unite with them in praise...how great shall be my joy!"  This has been a sort of motto throughout my adult years...."Great people around me make me great!"  I remember distinctly the moment I had that thought...I must have been around 21 years old sitting in church with my friends at college....surrounded by great people I felt great!  The Spirit then was strong...and the by-product of it produces an even stronger feeling of the Spirit.  I am a lucky woman to have so many strong and wonderful people encircling me.



I think this is my FIRST french braid...

see how happy I am...

This might rank up with my FAVORITE pics of Girls Camp!!!






These smiles came as Pres Lunt just shared my zip line escapade...where that tree jumped out and smashed into me!











Unquestionably, Girls Camp will always be high on my list!  It is where friendships are forged and renewed, heroines are born, testimonies are gained and strengthened, and buckets are filled!

1 comment:

Brittney Richards said...

Looks like you had another great year at camp. I'm jealous that I didn't get to go and hang out with you. I missed it.