Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Skillsets of Life and Motherhood

I remember giving birth to Spencer.  Actually, I remember very distinctly giving birth to ALL my children.  But don't be alarmed...this will NOT be a birthing post.  I just remember being really nervous in the middle of the process that Spencer would be a girl and I would have NO idea how to do her hair!  Sadly, I must admit that this is a TRUE story!

I also remember going to school and hating having to do my hair.  I don't know why this was so, but it very much WAS the truth.  (If you are reading this BEFORE my mother, check back...I'm sure she'll comment on the accuracy - except maybe add that 'hating' it would probably be an understatement).  I don't know when my hair actually became something I cared about, but it is with dismay that I still did NOT like doing it.  Consequently, I have always had an easy hair style.

Last Wednesday was picture day for Spencer and Kelsey.  Spencer came out of his room complaining that I had NOT cut his hair before picture day (a skill I DO have....who CAN'T buzz a boys head?).  Kelsey emerged with a smile and a hair tie asking for a braid!  Holy Cow...does she NOT know this is NOT my skill set?  I think she does....she is constantly asking why PINK isn't my favorite color or why I am not a girly girl!  Regardless of my abilities, NOT letting my daughter down IS one of my skills!  (or at least I try - one day I WILL learn how to french braid....but my fingers just don't work like that.  Throwing a ball, dribbling, shooting a basketball, swinging a bat...ALL skills I do possess but DON'T need dexterity of the fingers!  I had a companion that tried to get me to exercise my fingers so I could learn to play the piano....the only thing I CAN do with separate fingers is TYPE!)

This is what we came up with....not bad for an ULTRA NOVICE!
Maybe braiding MORE hair would be easier....but this is what she wanted!

And then there is photoing the events of my children....I LOVE this part of being a mom.  I LOVE attending MOST of their events (I have to admit, after sitting through the same principal's words year after year I have made an executive decision to skip that part of the school open houses).  I LOVE to watch my children play sports and have school programs.  And I LOVE to take pictures all along the way.  This is why I have decided that my new Christmas, Birthday, Mother's Day (and maybe the next round too) present is going to be a really nice camera so that I can take closer up pics of my children as they excel (or even just participate) in all their activities!

The latest season is football - Jordan.  He is on the 8th grade JFL team now and starts both offense and defense.  I must admit, watching him play (rather that stand on the sideline) is much more exciting and worthwhile!  I also need to divulge that while football is fun, I don't always understand it all, nor can I follow the ball at all times AND watch my son on the line AND who is tackling, etc.  But I do enjoy it!

Here are some fun pics of his last two games....
 

The team is off to an ok start....did REALLY well against Decatur but had to postpone because of lightning.  Finished up the game this past Wed and won!  However, this last game yesterday was a far cry from their best foot forward.  Many of their starters got injured, others had been sick, and others still went home with heat exhaustion!  Needless to say, we called it at the half and just cut our losses!

Another skill....home improvement!  (or at least part of it!)  A couple Saturdays ago Jordan asked if we could FINALLY paint his room.  We'll get around to carpeting it for Christmas!  So, I changed my clothes and headed down for an hour of switcheroo....blue to brown in a short time!  I like it...and even though this pic doesn't show it, so does he!
 
And so....I am pretty sure I have OTHER skill sets too, but these are the ones that seem to be the most recent.  I chuckled as I walked back in from outside where the kids had come in, bypassed even searching for their dad, and found me to come help Kelsey get out of the tree.  I love being the mom, the one the kids come to and need (most of the time...wink wink).
she pulled off a smile even though she had been crying

Oh, this made me laugh....he swung out and ....
...Jordan caught his legs....

Cody ducked out of the picture just as I snapped (maybe I'm not so talented)...I love watching my kids play together in the tree - anywhere for that matter
Still they are outside playing.  The weather has cooled down which pulls them outside.  They come in for a snack and back out they go.  I'm looking forward to tomorrow to do something fun as a family and not have to sweat to death to do it!  Maybe I'll even set up the tent tonight....has the rain completely gone?

***************************************************
Ok....wait....another skill I have as the mom!  Spider killing!  Unbeknownst to my children....I HATE spiders and am probably more afraid of them than those well meaning people say they are of me.  But I am the one called on to rescue my dear children from the house spiders OR the really big gross and ugly ones that make a home on the trampoline!  "Is it REALLY dead, mom????" they shriek.  "It REALLY is," I say!  And then head inside to cringe at the mere appearance of such a gruesome creature!

1 comment:

Lynda said...

I think you were in 7th grade before you even combed your hair!! However, all the other things you are so proficient at make up for the very few that you aren't! I'm sure I could add several more great things you do...like being able to give a lesson at Church without any preparation needed; like making friends everywhere you go; like loving the young people of your Ward; I could go on and on. Love you more than.........