Sunday, May 20, 2012

It's been a LONG time....

Wow...Spencer asked me this morning if I had blogged lately and when I said that I hadn't he was   SHOCKED!  So here I will catch up....wish me luck!  hahaha

I think topics will be the easiest...easier than chronologically!

********************SIU - School for ME*************************

The last time I wrote I am pretty sure I was in crunch mode...that last week of school making sure all the papers are in and finished just right and studying for the STATS test.  Amazingly, STATS wasn't as hard as I had at first thought it would be.  Of course, the last section kicked me hard.  I don't know if it was because I was do SO much in other areas, but it was hard!  The final was a killer.  I literally spent 2 and a half hours....and still didn't feel too good about it.  I finished it and that was all I could say.

But thankfully, when I went back the next week to pick it up I found that, indeed it was tougher, but I did ok....ok enough to get an A in the class!  In order to get an A you needed 90%.....I got 90.01%....good enough for me!  We'll see how Multiple Regression (a higher level of STATS) is this Fall.  It will be with my same teacher.  She told me I should probably study over the summer - yeah right!

But I finished the semester!  I can't believe I'm another semester closer to graduating, to being FINISHED, to becoming Dr Denise Demers!  That sounds so weird.  And I often wonder what on earth I am doing, where I will end up, where life is leading me, etc.  But I have just ONE more semester of course work, then in Feb I will take Prelims (the department comprehensive test).  After that....write my dissertation!  I have decided to take a VACATION when done...with prelims.  So maybe we'll head to Disneyworld over Spring Break!!!!

**********************************LIFE***************************************

Ok...so each time I have to catch up I realize what a benefit it is to keep up, to not forget, and to capture the moment.  I know each of the kids have said things, done things, and such that I dont' want to EVER forget.  At a younger age I would have thought I would NEVER forget....today I am much wiser!  I KNOW I WILL FORGET!

I suppose I'll just go by child....starting with Jordan.

Jordan

Despite a lot of coaxing, Jordan opted out of High School Band.  While I think it would be a great experience for him, I really prayed about it and let him do the same.  I felt we shouldn't make him (which went AGAINST my head).  Oh well...I stressed about it for awhile until I was reminded by the gentle promptings of the Spirit that God already spoke peace to my heart, why continue to worry?  

Yeah, what is it with motherhood that I think that everything I do will make or break my child for the rest of his or her life?  I don't know.  Parents aren't perfect!  And children are resilient.  And as long as I am making it a matter of prayer I shouldn't worry so much.  Heck, my parents weren't perfect and look how I turned out - hahahhaha!  Just kidding.  

So he's working out for football.  He really likes that and I'm glad he enjoys it so much.  

At this moment he is out in Utah with my mom and dad.  He is going to EFY tomorrow for the week.  I'm excited for him to be able to do that.  I think those experiences really help youth today.  We weren't planning on BYU but it worked out.  He's going with a couple other boys from our branch!  So glad he gets to be involved!  Hopefully he'll take some pictures for his mom.  He spent the weekend in St George with my brother and sisters and got to go ziplining....he's having fun and that makes me happy!

He wants to earn money this summer.  I'm pretty happy that he gets it that I won't be spending ALL my money on his every whim.  I want him to learn to work...and I think he's learning responsibility.  Life is good!

Spencer 

Spencer is growing up!  I can't believe it sometimes...but he is.  On May 7 he played in his last school band concert.  I love that he loves it so much.  I didn't take any pictures, but had a great time being a proud mama!

Spencer is the example in our family of giving a copy of the Book of Mormon to friends.  I can't believe him.  The missionaries ask and he does!  I'm so proud of him.

He also ran in another 5K.  He loves it and got 3rd place this time (15 and under girls AND boys).  It was the Relay for Life run....for Cancer.  He always runs in memory of my grandpa who died of complications due to cancer!
 
 
 
Yeah, I'm pretty proud of him!  I also got to go to the Award Ceremony at his school.  He was nominated by his teacher for the Lori Webb Award - a prestigious award for his school given to a student who exemplifies good grades and helpfulness, an all around good student.  He was pretty happy and surprised to be nominated.  And though the award was given to another, I was super proud of him.

He is also playing baseball this year again.  He's advanced a league...we'll see how that goes.
 
 
 
 We're in for an exciting summer with Spencer...he'll play baseball, swim for the Effingham Red Tide, and do countless other summer camps.  I think we'll put him in a theater camp...he's excited!  I think he'll be good.

Kelsey

Always my fireball!  I will be coaching her softball team this year so we should have fun.  After looking at the calendar with some nights of three games and others where have 1-3 games a night EVERY night of the week...we'll be busy.  Add that to swim team and she'll be too tired to get into anything else!

Kelsey came home with a cool ceramic thing...she calls it a pinch pot pal!  She is really proud of it and I am proud of her too.
 
Cody

Cody, likewise, will be doing baseball and swim team.  He's a fun kid....fireball like Kelsey.  He loves to play and I love most when he hugs me, which he does OFTEN still (thankfully).  His baseball hasn't begun yet, so no pics.

*******************LAST DAY OF SCHOOL**********************
It is amazing to me how fast the school year flies by....wasn't just YESTERDAY that these kids STARTED school?
And their teachers all love them...as usual!  I love to take end of the year photos with the teachers.   I love to see how much the teachers love my children.  I give them to the school for so much of each day, I just hope they are loved and taken care of.  Thankfully each year I am blessed beyond measure.
 Spencer with Ms Mackey - 5th grade
 Kelsey with Mrs Borries - 3rd grade
 Cody with Mrs Peyton - 1st grade

We even got to see teachers from the past who remain our good friends.  I think this is one benefit of living in a small town...we get to know the teachers and remain friends even outside of school.  Here is Mrs Barbara Beck...Kelsey's 1st grade teacher.
 a friend of the family!!!

and Mrs Fatheree had BOTH Spencer and Kelsey in 2nd grade (we'll see if Cody gets her next year)

 also a family friend!!!
And this is Miss Kathy...the secretary.  See that smile?  Yeah, you can hear it over the phone.  I LOVE this lady!  She is perfect....she also might be moving to TN this summer to be with her daughter and grandchildren.  I will definitely MISS her is that's the case....so I just HAD to take a picture of her!

 *********************ST LOUIS ZOO*********************

When we took Jordan to the airport to head out to Utah for EFY we spent the night in a hotel across the street and hit the free St Louis Zoo the next day.  It was a beautiful day...not too hot and even a little breeze!  It has been a LONG time since we have been there, but the kids enjoyed it!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So I think I am caught up....summer is upon us.  I spent the day cleaning out the fridge yesterday.  Boy, it was embarrassing!  But it sparkles now.  I also, the day before, totally cleaned out the front room and even rearranged it.  I got projects on my brain....gutting the house and making things new again.  We'll see how that goes.  I also am supposed to be doing research for my dissertation!  I will be busy...but better busy than bored, right mom!!!


1 comment:

Lynda said...

1st.....You DID have perfect parents! We are enjoying Jordan. Makes me remember having teens around all the time and how much I enjoy them. I've even gotten a couple of hugs...boy did that take some sneaky moves on my part. Love you guys.