Sunday, January 5, 2014

Gratitude for the People of Effingham

For the last few months people will pop into my mind that I am super grateful for from our little hometown! I don't know if it is because our departure is looming large inside my mind or what....but it has been fun to think about them. So really, I have been composing this post for a long time. I had originally thought that I would post it when we left and entitle it "What I will miss about Effingham." But I realize that my brain now forgets....no telling what I will remember during THAT time! So I've decided to start now .... and maybe write more than one of these posts! It is really a post about people...the people who for the last 13 years have touched, and changed, my life....some without even knowing it!

I can't remember all the other people I was thinking and writing posts in my head about, but I will just begin anew with the experience of today and write....in no apparent order....just as they come into my head!

Today I was shoveling the driveway for Snowpocolypse 2014 and after an hour I had only a little left. I was tired (rather...exhausted). It wasn't too long and I saw a friend on his beloved orange tractor with a snowplow on the front and a blade on the back drive up and ask if he could help with the last part...the hardest part from the driveway to the road. Shoveling snow off gravel is hard. He pulled down this facemask, smiled and said, "I like a little exercise, but this is crazy!" And it was! Already it was a good 8-10 inches deep with the bottom 6 inches wet and heavy and the snow still coming down. By the time I was done there was an inch up by the house!

Bob! Bob owns a lawn care company and I see him and his employees all over town keeping lawns manicured and trees trimmed. He is always good for a wave and a huge smile. He lives close and goes to the church down the road so anytime we see him he has happy thoughts to share. He has cleared our leaves before ... when the kids were all small and Scott was traveling a lot. I love that he is just so nice and always ready to lend a helping hand.

Audrey from the library! She is retired now but has always LOVED my children and me. The HML has provided me with not only good reading material, but friends who have loved my heart and changed who I am. Shirley, who has now moved was just such a soul. Johnna is still there and is someone I value. Margo is the manager at the desk now and I go to get books for my children and won't leave until I can talk with her. She is full of faith and has always encouraged me in my schooling and my life.

My kids have had wonderful teachers! Something I have really enjoyed about living here is that often they become my friends also. Jordan's 1st grade teacher, Mrs H, was magnificent. She sent home extra work that really challenged and excited Jordan. His 3rd grade teacher, Mrs L, is till a good friend along with her husband. They have kids the same ages as Spencer, Kelsey, and Cody. Seeing how they love my kids is probably what bonds me to them most. Spencer, Kelsey, and Cody all had Mrs F for 2nd grade! Words can't describe how thankful I am for her. Kelsey's 1st grade teacher, Mrs B, remains a great friend who I think of every time I pass Joe Sippers!

Often I think of people as I pass familiar places in town that remind me of them. I used to deliver Meals on Wheels. Many of the women who have now passed on affected me in such a profound way. I would often stay and chat just to keep them company...but mostly it was for me. I loved hearing stories and getting to know them. One was a dancer and would tell me of her escapades of yesteryear. Another turned 100 the week I delivered her meal. She used to be a hair dresser and lived on the most beautiful piece of land overlooking a lake!

For now...this is enough! MANY more individuals come to mind, but I would rather wait until the Spirit prompts me with a memory of WHY I love them and am grateful for them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this. I have often thought I would like to write a book about all the people I have met in my life and what they taught me along the way. Do you know when and where you are moving?

missy said...

Sounds like you are surrounded by pretty great people. I wish you could stay! Fortunately there are great people everywhere and, knowing you, you'll find them. It's all in who or what you are looking for. You are one who is always a great example of looking for the good. :)