On Saturday night the storm rolled in. By noon on Saturday they had called to cancel church with the impending storm. Scott and I went shopping to get some much needed groceries since we had been in Branson for 3 days. At 2pm Aldi had no milk, no bread or veggies, and were out of a lot of stuff. So we had to tackle Walmart on that crazy day.
We hunkered down Sunday and let it snow most of the day! By noon school on Monday was canceled. So we hunkered down Monday with the temps plummeting to subzero, -35 degrees with the wind chill. I had shoveled us out Saturday when we got home from the snow earlier. I am glad I did since Sunday afternoon I had to shovel TWICE! I was exhausted...but glad it was done before the temps went lower and lower. Scott had to work on Monday so I shoveled AGAIN....the wind had picked up and the drifts were up to my waist in some areas. Needless to say, I won't be feeling guilty getting a massage later!!! And by noon school on Tuesday was also canceled.
Monday night was a mess around here....interstates stopped up and roads closed and every parking lot in town being used for semi's and travelers. Our community opened its doors (and hearts) to the many many stranded travelers. We were lucky enough to get a call from the church saying a young couple on their way to Virginia was stuck with NO HOTEL ROOMS AVAILABLE! They had slid from Altamont (about 8 miles east) for the last 2 - 2.5 hours! They were so happy to be off the interstate...and I don't blame them. They came to our house with their 1 year old. I couldn't imagine having a little one out on the roads.
The young couple and their daughter stayed with us all of Tuesday. No one was going much of anywhere with these conditions. I really can't remember a time since we've been here (13 years) that it's been this bad...or this cold. But that little family handled it so well. I would have been beyond frustrated...but they were calm and just happy to NOT be out on the roads after sliding around for the last few days. They left Colorado on Saturday and have been in the storm the ENTIRE time!
Yes, school was also canceled today (the call came around noon again on Tuesday). But thankfully today was a heatwave around here at 27 degrees. The kids played outside with friends and then we went sledding at the Community Park. Actually, a friend took the kids and I followed after with my camera. It was a blast! Here are just a few pics!
This is right before a near catastrophe....she hit the tree. I had the zoom lens on so she was still far from the tree at this point. When I saw that she wasn't bailing (she now knows to bail if she can't steer clear of the tree) I stood in front of the tree and blocked her hit. She THOUGHT she hit the tree, but really it was me...but her nose did hit the tree enough to cause a little scrape!
These two crack me up. Jay is one of Spencer's best friends. I enjoy watching them have fun together!
Yeah, so today was pretty much FUN....another call around 4:00 today means NO SCHOOL again tomorrow. I have a lot of work to do to get ready to teach that I am NOT getting done, but we are having a good relaxing time. Most of our break seemed to be rushed, but now we are not rushed at all....and actually the kids are wanting to go back to school. Maybe Friday. But if not....we will ALL begin on Monday!





No comments:
Post a Comment