Sunday, December 10, 2017

A Week of Goodness

Every week should be a week of goodness! For some reason, I don't always think of them at the end as such. But looking back this evening as I am, I see some really good things that happened. Sure, there were times that left MUCH to be desired, but let's concentrate on the GOOD times.

Let's start with UCA! I LOVE my job...literally LOVE it! I love the autonomy I have to do what I want with my classes - namely experiential learning. For the last few semesters I have had my Program Planning courses develop programs for community partners. We used UCA students and UCA faculty and staff, City of Hope, and the Faulkner County Juvenile Court. They would come and share their needs and my students would go to work. By the end of the semester they would have a complete program to present to the partners. This semester I had them interview me and create a plan for middle aged women who work full time and have 2-3 kids at home. Forever I have told my classes if they can help ME then I would give them an A -- haha! So this semester they did. It's been fun.

In my Mental Health course (undoubtedly my favorite to teach) this semester I focused on Random Acts of Kindness. I want to improve upon this portion of my course. But we culminated the semester with a UCA Day of Service. My students got into groups and put together different stations that students, faculty and staff could participate in as they were walking on campus. I received a grant to be able to purchase the supplies. It was a BIG success! I think they all had a GREAT time!

The stations included a clothing drive, free flowers of appreciation (plus a bunch given to the cafeteria workers), free Gatorade and compliment cards (take a compliment and leave one in the box for a free drink), holiday cards for the Wisdom House Project (orphanage children in Syria), holiday cards for the elderly in a retirement home (so many people came and made cards that we ended up making them for more than one of the nursing homes in town), and lastly, a group had five fleece quilts to tie for the children at Children's Hospital. Unbelievably, all five were cut and tied in a little under 2 hours!

Before I share the fun pics I want to share a story. I wish I would have been able to listen in as it was shared. A student stopped by to help tie quilts. She shared that she wanted to come give back....you see, she was once a child in Children's Hospital and had received a blanket. It is experiences like this that make service worth it.





 





These three sat and made this ENTIRE quilt. It was fun to see some people stick around and do a lot of serving. They were soooo excited!




Cody and I went shopping...he and I have been spending a bit of time together lately. I like spending solo time with my kids. We do a LOT of family things, so it is nice to have one on one time. This was fun in Kohl's. He also came to work with me one day. It was fun...he got ALL of his homework done and then got to come to the Winter Feast. He and I even won one of the door prizes.



He also got to come to a little get together....party, if you will. He had to ask if THIS was all I did at work (go to catered lunches and Christmas parties - hahahaha). But he was a good sport. The next pic is of a fun game we played. We had to put the plate on top of our head and then draw what she told us to....this is a Christmas tree with ornaments and a star (sort of on top), a fireplace with stockings, and presents under the tree. Nope...no one could see because we had to draw WHILE the plate was on our head. We also played a charades type game and Cody volunteered to act them out. He was a hit! Glad we got to spend the day together.


I can't go a week without a sporting event!! This week I saw a two basketball games (Kelsey's) and a 5K race for Cody and Spencer. Kelsey fouled out .... both games. We will have to work on that ;)



And Spencer...he got a personal best time for his 5K. He has been really wanting to break 18 minutes.

AND HE DID!!!!

He got 17:59:61. He was more than excited....to say the least! He came and was the partner with Asher Adamson. They BOTH took first in their category and therefore took first overall! They were stoked....and Spencer got a $25 gift card to Sporty Runner, which was gold to him. He went and got some neon yellow gloves for running in the cold. He's been running 45-50 miles a week lately. Goodness, that boy!!! But it paid off, I suppose. He's up to running 11 miles. Oh, how I love this passionate boy of mine!






And how can I forget Cody's 5th grade Social Studies teacher??? She is sooo sweet and he really loved her. We got to see her too. I'm grateful for teachers that have such a vested interest in my children and actually care about them long after they have had them in class.


And last night was the Ward Christmas party...what fun! I wasn't feeling myself, but had a good time. I just didn't get enough pics....if ANY! Scott was GOING to play Santa, but instead he got a friend to. And the youth Skit? Yeah...it was hilarious!!!






Yes, a good week indeed! I have a GREAT family, FABULOUS friends, and despite the upcoming grading frenzy and somewhat lazy students at times, I am happy!
 


1 comment:

Lynda said...

You are, and always have been, amazing! You are also very busy ALL the time. I love those kids of yours also. They each are so different from each other and bring a lot of happiness to us all. What a great project for your classes to participate in too. Love you!