Sunday, December 3, 2017

December is for the Holiday Spirit

I love December! I love the holidays, the tree, the lights, the songs, the Christmas Spirit. I love that our lights are up and our house is decorated. When I returned from Utah, they had already put the tree up. I love driving up to the house and walking into it when it is lit up. It makes me smile. And while I do think of Christ all year long, I love that during THIS season everyone seems to be a little nicer, and think of Him more.

This year during the holidays I want to slow down and relish TIME with loved ones and family. I live a pretty fast and furious life...always going from one activity to another. Yes, I LOVE watching my kids play sports and LOVE being a part of things. But recently my thoughts have been on making memories together. Not sure if it is the funerals I have attended in the last couple months (yes, funerals -- plural), but my mind has been somewhat caught up in this season of life and what matters most.





The first funeral was of a friend in our ward. He was a good man and we enjoyed all he would do. He was the candy man at church -- always had candy in his suit pocket for the kids (and sometimes adults too). He served ... always! He was retired so everyone knew he would....and he was capable of just about anything. It was at his funeral that I realized he was younger than my own mother. Solemnity overtook me. As I listened to his son, also in our ward and younger than me, speak solemnity hit again. Life is SO short and I'm not ready for this stage of life.

I do love the activities my children are in and going to EVERY game and event humanly possible...THIS part of this stage I do love. We are busy - maybe too busy at times - but together most of the time.

Then my uncle passed away. Although I had not seen him in a LONG time (too long), I loved him. I loved all the cool things he represented in my life, the fun experiences. I remember him pitching with me in his front yard saying, "point your toe at your target." I loved the BYU vs USU rivalry. And being at his funeral, though sad, was a reminder of the relationships that I have with cousins, aunts and uncles. We need to keep them burning. It was SUCH a happy time together. Sad that it was for Uncle Don's funeral, but happy to be together.













And now I must finish....I get to watch the First Presidency Christmas Devotional!!!

1 comment:

Lynda said...

I am a wreck at Christmas time until I have gifts ready and wrapped. That is the hardest part for me, thinking of gifts for people. I do love the music and the love and friendship that everyone seems to want to share during this season.