Often certain moments in history are etched into our minds such that we remember the very minute details of when we first heard or saw of the event. The most recent Storyworth from my mother was about the assassination of John F Kennedy. I, of course, have NO recollection of this event.
However, reading her experience set my mind down a trail of memories of certain experiences in my life that I remember. I will share the ones that came to my mind.
I'm not sure why, but the first thing that came to mind was when President Spencer W. Kimball, the prophet, passed away in Nov 1985. I was in my Human Biology class. I don't necessarily remember it being announced over the intercom, but how else would I know about it. Looking back, I wonder how others found out, those not in Utah. I can remember his voice. Though this was not the first prophet to pass in my lifetime, it is really the first one I clearly remember. I was a senior in High School and I suppose I was actually growing up a bit and knew him....I knew his voice, some of his messages, and was sad.
The next big one for me was Sept 11, 2001. I was babysitting at the YMCA. All of a sudden all the moms came up to get their children saying that the twin towers had been crashed into by planes. They were not hysterical, but close. It didn't seem real. Jordan was nearly 4 and Spencer was almost 1. I didn't turn the TV on, nor listen to any of the broadcasts surrounding the event. I'm not sure why, I suppose at the time I didn't want Jordan and Spencer to constantly hear about it. But I also didn't want to get involved in it. But then the guilt came....why HADN'T I felt anything? Why HADN'T I mourned and watched it all, mourning with those that mourn. I still do not have a good reason, but it was just how it was for me.
As I sit and think, trying to remember large national or world events, I don't remember much. I remember that Scott and I were on vacation when Princess Diana died. I remember standing on the wood fort at the Elementary School in California with Ayatollah Khomeini. I remember....see, not much. There are those with historical seeking minds. I do enjoy history, but I've never been much for the hype of all the news. In fact, most people laugh at me because I know so little of what is going on in the world. Not that I don't think it is important, I just don't have a use for it in my immediate life...my life that is soooo busy with so many other things. Right or wrong, that is how it is. I have friends that watch the news enough for me and everyone else.
But I do remember defining moments in my life....times where I learned that Heavenly Father listens to me pray, Nephi was a real person and therefore the Book of Mormon is true, Joseph Smith was really a prophet, my mom loves me, etc. THOSE instances matter SO MUCH more to me, so very much more.
Kneeling on my second hand carpet, it was 70s orangeish rust given to us from Janine Gale, I asked my Father in Heaven if the Book of Mormon was true. The only thing I felt was that I already knew it was. So I asked then if Nephi was really a person. It was then I felt as though each time I read from the Book of Mormon I was hiding behind a tumble weed, watching it happen.
It was also after kneeling at my bed as a very young and very excited elementary school child that I knew the my Heavenly Father heard and answered my prayer. We had a long planned and long awaited for (at least for me and my siblings) trip to Marriot's Great America. However, the news the night before said it was supposed to rain. When I asked my dad what we would do if it rained he said we would just do it another time. That wasn't good enough for me. I had been waiting a LONG time. So I quickly went up to my room and prayed. The next day, no rain, but sunshine and a great day at the park. I knew then that prayer was real, that Heavenly Father knew ME and listened and answered my prayers. That simple experience has led me to where I am today....a sure knowledge that God loves me, listens to me, and is anxious to bless me.
Where was I when all this happened? I was standing in the holy place I had made, one of personal revelation that only I could experience with such profundity.
No comments:
Post a Comment