Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Down it goes

When I bought my first car I hadn't bought anything greater than an outfit or a nice pair of basketball shoes. I remember buying something, taking it home, and there making my final decision -- AWAY from the attraction of the store or salesman. It worked well for me. But then I bought a car and the sick feeling of "I can't return this if it doesn't 'fit' just right!" sank in quickly. I may have literally been sick. My mom laughed at my buyer’s remorse...and so does my husband now. But, I've come to grips with this "condition" of mine. I have also realized that it comes with a lot of big decisions...."Did I do the right thing?" And so life was no different the morning last week when I got back from taking the kids to school and our huge hickory tree out front was in my driveway. Scott and I had been wanting it down since we moved here nearly 8 years ago. Well, that may be a little extreme, but as soon as it drops a million nuts all over the driveway, on cars, on people, we remember WE WANT THIS GONE! So we finally just made the decision and did it. I am glad, but that little sick feeling of "Did I do the right thing?" popped up. How will my yard look? What about the shade? And what about the pesky squirrel family I think I care less about? THEY are the nut problem...yet I wonder about their little family and how they will get from tree to tree. Silly, I know. They CAN run across the ground. Frankly, I would like THEM gone too....but don't tell my kids or my mom. Jordan was nearly in tears that I took a tree down. He still reminds me of the little pine tree I cut down 5+ years ago. But it is down, and no use crying now! NOTHING I can do will put it back up there....and really I don't want it back up. So good! And I have worked hard to get the limbs all cut off and to the back yard to burn. The pine tree is also gone. Yippee! Here are some pictures. Do you think a tree can bleed?










Isn't this a cool picture? The guy who cut them down for fire wood

only wanted the trunk of the pine tree...so here are ALL the limbs laying down flat.

















And here is what it looks like without the hickory tree to drop nuts or the dead pine tree.







1 comment:

Patty O. said...

I get buyer's remorse ALL the time, especially for stuff like making big changes that cannot be reversed. Just ask Bil. I think it drives him nuts. I can't wait to see what your yard looks like. And how safe I will feel in your driveway now that I don't have to watch for falling nuts. : )