Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Nature and Friends

Last night I was with a bunch of friends at church. One friend said something that really struck me and got me thinking. She said that if she were to ever get "past the point of no return" upstairs (or something like that) to just take her on a drive through the country. "Yes!" I thought. That would do it...especially for her! This is a friend I think of often when I see something about nature that strikes me as beautiful or breathtaking or awe inspiring. When my breath is taken away by the beauty of this earth .... I think of her! I had helped her in her back yard (if you can call it that...it's more of a retreat than a back yard. I have a back yard...I do not have a retreat!) and LOVED every moment there. The trees, the quiet, the peace. What more is there? OH....the sound of birds, right?!!

Anyhow...lately I have thought a lot about the trees and their changing leaves. BEAUTIFUL!!! I can't get enough. I used to love summer because of mountain biking and softball, mostly softball and the friends I had there and my ABSOLUTE LOVE of the game. But now I absolutely love the Fall....the changing colors of the trees, the cool weather, everything. I suppose it makes me think inward a bit more...and love to be outside also.

Cody came home from school a couple days ago just enthralled with the fact that our tree's leaves were changing color. He looked out the window at it forever with a smile on his face. I wondered what he was thinking about....probably conversations and lessons at school. As I watched I thought about this friend, about all my friends that love nature, that I would want to be walking with through the woods.

Yes....I love the Fall! I love Nature! To be outside is the greatest retreat for me! I hope that maybe an inkling of those thoughts, desires, and loves will filter down to my children and someday we can walk through the woods together and talk of the things on our minds and in our hearts. Nature does that to me. Yes...I love Fall and I love Nature!!!

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

I agree! Danny has been way more into nature lately and I want to figure out how to encourage that.... Having grown up in a big city, sometimes I forget how healing being in nature can be. And I want to make my yard into a retreat, but I have no idea how.