When I was pregnant with Spencer I casually asked Jordan, then 2, what we should name this baby-in-tow if it is a boy or girl. Regardless of gender, he said unequivocally, “Tongue Out!” Upon further questioning there was no rationale whatsoever…just simply Tongue Out. Of course, he also turned to me one morning and said, “Mama, I know exactly how this baby is going to come out!” This I HAD to hear…surely THAT talk didn’t need to happen quite so soon, right!? “It’s going to climb up a little ladder through your neck and out your mouth!” He was completely serious…..maybe THAT is where he chose the name Tongue Out.
Well, Spencer was born and, needless to say, we didn’t name him Tongue Out…though his tongue hung out for the first few months of his life. Scott affectionately nicknamed him “Monkey,” probably because he liked the name as much as the wild constant movements of this cute little guy come to our family. Little did we know the projection THAT nickname would be! Now, at 8 years old, I think Spencer would be more comfortable in a tree or hanging on something or climbing something else. If you can’t find him…look up, literally!
Our favorite family game is “Blind Man’s Bluff.” It’s sort of a hide and seek game but the person who is “it” has to be blind…or keep their eyes shut. They count, everyone hides. But the catch is that those being sought after can move around as much as they want…they can be in plain sight as long as they don’t get touched. When you are “it” you have to use your hearing…though the kids aren’t so good at this part. Scott is best at being “it,” so we always choose him. I have thought EVERY time we play how fun it would be to scale the walls in the hall and let Scott go under me….he’s usually on his knees anyway. Never in a million years would he touch me….unless I sneezed or coughed….or, of course, every little one runs to mom and my
Spencer just returned from a trip to the San Diego Zoo and Sea World with his aunt Krista. This specific picture told the exact story to me – Brothers at Heart. So I had to post it for all of you to see. You notice from the previous pictures that he loves to climb. I
believe this will always be the case….and so in my heart I will always smile when I remember his nickname as a baby…. “Monkey!”
7 comments:
Yeah, you got the pictures to work. They look really good. I can't get mine to have the words write around the pictures anymore. I used to be able to, but it won't work anymore. Let me know if you did something to make it work like that. Love ya and glad you started a blog:)
Ni
These pictures are awesome. It amazes me how much Spencer looks like Cody in the tree picture. What a great post. It really captures the essence of Spencer and what a mischief maker he is.
Glad you have joined us in the blogging world. Now I can stalk you virtually and in real life. Whoohoo!
Hey there,
I just found your blog via Patty's. Welcome to the blogosphere. It's going to be a caaaaaarazy ride. :)
Glad you didn't go with "tongue out"! I met someone who actually did get to choose her sister's name and she chose something horrid like "Beezlebub" and her parents actually named the kid that?!
I'm a Speech Pathologist who saw a comment you had left on another post and decided to check out your blog! :)
Denise,
Thanks for checking in with my blog. I'm glad to have your blog to follow now. I enjoyed your story of your "Monkey". K
Happy Blogging! One day I'll follow you're example and enter the blogging world, but until then I will continue to enjoy your blog and the many others I stalk. Love ya!
Hey! This is your cousin Elizabeth, Mikes daughter. I am excited to see you have a blog. Long time no see!
Post a Comment