Monday, November 3, 2008

Parenting.....

There are too many parenting books, in my opinion. Most cause me to wonder if I am doing it all correctly. Some have good information, and I like that. I pick and choose really. One article I fell in love with immediately. A good friend gave it to me. Essentially it was about “muddling through.” It spoke of a family that woke up to “disaster” after “disaster” and it never really got better throughout the day. The woman broke down to cry and told her husband she just couldn’t hold it all together any longer. How well I relate sometimes. Her wise husband said she didn’t have to …. he’d been muddling through for years and no one knew the difference. I loved it. So now…I try to remember to “muddle through.”


But today after school was a bit different. Yes, the usual fighting and teasing, begging to do homework and such happened but then there were great moments where it all fit together and my heart was so full of love and joy that I could burst. Kelsey was tired. So was Cody. Spencer was bugging them both…it affected them so adversely mostly because they were tired and couldn’t handle it. So … they both came and snuggled with me on the couch. I love those times….kids curled up under your arms….just loving being close. Cody’s was short lived … he quickly began to flip and flop and just wanted a hug and was gone. Kelsey stayed and we dozed on the couch. Then after dinner the boys were in the front room laughing hysterically at whatever game they were playing. I LOVE, absolutely LOVE, hearing and listening to my children laugh. It is one of the greatest sounds in the world. At the same time Kelsey was reading a book to someone, an imaginary audience. But she was holding the book as a teacher would…making up the story as she turned the pages and looked at the pictures in the book. Scott and I were cleaning up dinner and couldn’t help pausing to just smile!


No, parenting isn’t easy. And the books make it seem so cut and dry. Mostly I love just loving my children and watching them grow and learn and love. I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it about the time Cody leaves on his mission – I have 15 ½ years! I’ve always said I would go through another hour or so of labor and delivery if I got a detailed and very personal manual for each child….but not so! I’ll just joy in the times where it all fits together nicely and I feel good about the day. I’ll just “muddle through!”


2 comments:

Patty O. said...

I love, love, love that picture of you guys. I never saw that print. The colors you chose for everyone are so great together.

I also love this post. Do you still have the article about muddling through? I would love to read it. I think we put so much pressure on ourselves to have it all together and maybe that's not the point.

Thanks for reminding me to relish the sweet moments. That is what it is all about, right?

Meghan said...

I love this picture of y'all!! Very cute!