Friday, November 7, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things

Lots of folks make lists. Mostly they are “to do” type lists. I like crossing things off lists too. But this little list is about the things that are my favorites…which I have been thinking a lot about lately.



The Silence of the Morning

There’s something about the silence of the morning. It’s akin to the silence of the night … but THAT silence is only because all the kids are asleep and it’s finally peaceful at my house. The silence of morning is more a beauty …. a PEACE. I love the sun coming up. The colors are so vibrant … silhouetted trees over a backdrop of orange, which fades out gradually until the blue sky appears, getting darker and darker as it reaches the highest point in the sky. BEAUTY!!! A newness of life! Silence and Solitude … A time to open refreshed reservoirs ready for a new day. Thank Goodness for the silence of mornings to help me get through the hectic afternoons.

My Kids

How could I make a list of my favorite things without including these kids of mine? Despite Jordan breaking the window, Spencer and Kelsey teasing, and Cody pouring his own cereal and spilling it all in the middle of the kitchen floor…I LOVE THEM! So…Jordan is one of my favorite things…favorite people!

He is good and honest and helps out with Cody all the time. His ability to reason and read amazes me. His quick wit and jovial nature with his friends is exhilarating. And yes, he DID break our back door window…accidentally. But worse things can happen. Next time he’ll hopefully remember to pound on the door, NOT the window when he is locked out.

Spencer’s energy and excitement for life sometimes wear me out. But mostly his enthusiasm is catching….he loves to be outside. The other day I found a baby snake. I caught it and gave it to him. It was his “pet” for the afternoon. NOTHING really scares him when nature and animals are concerned. He is a great kid…with an energy for life that makes me jealous. His ability to draw is wonderful.

When Kelsey and Cody get off the bus they both RUN to me. THIS is definitely one of my favorite times of the day. When they both get to me and hug me till I fall over….words can’t express. It’s heaven on earth. On the way home they both have been needing to have me lift them up to get a leaf off the tree. The changing colors of the leaves…another of my favorite things.



My husband

I suppose I can't quite get away without placing HIM here. Thankfully, he loves me in spite of myself. True, I am pretty wonderful (hehehe) but I do appreciate his patience and love for me. Living without him might not be as fun or rewarding. I'll not think about that now.

Of course, I don’t have time or pictures enough to complete my list of favorite things. Among them are my friends. How could I live without them? I love my bike, the outdoors, mountains, and camping. I love playing ball and breathing fresh air. I love quiet time with a good book or good friend. But what ranks highest of all is my quiet and strong assurance that I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father who loves me. THAT is my favorite thing! Without THAT knowledge, none of my other favorite things would matter much at all.

No comments: