So, I will dive into this weekend.....
FRIDAY
We went to the High School football game. I think I already posted about it....but it STARTED our weekend.
SATURDAY
It was SOOOO nice to sleep in. It has been a long time since I've gotten to sleep in - even on a Saturday. Scott's dad, Papa, was here so he took the kids on a long bike ride....then bowling. I was grateful to be able to watch General Conference by myself, undisturbed! I folded 8 million socks as I listened to some wonderful talks about feeling and listening to the Spirit/Holy Ghost, being consistent as a parent (the little things matter most) and love, among other things.
Jordan's game came next. THEY WON!!!!! Yeah.....this is win #2 and I'm glad that they went out on a win. It makes the season seem more worthwhile in my mind. And judging from Jordan's reaction, he feels similarly. It's just that even if you win every game and lose the last one....that is hard. But take for instance Jordan's season, they lost every game except the last two...and they feel on top of the world. I'm glad for him. I'm also glad that Papa was here to watch and support him. It made Jordan feel very special.
Papa took the kids on lots of bike rides. He's a good grandpa! They all had a great time. Even Cody got to go sometimes.
SUNDAY
A full day of General Conference. I loved it! I wish the kids would listen more, sure, but the speakers were powerful. As they spoke I could feel the Spirit so strongly -- bringing me to tears a few times.
I learned a lot of things from the Spirit that will help me to be a better person, better, wife, mother, friend, etc.
LOVE was a big topic....loving really heals the heart, bridges gaps, and makes things better. THEIR words were a lot more eloquent, but what I felt inside my heart will be remembered for a long long time. I am grateful for love....especially the love of God and of Jesus Christ. THEIR love supersedes all and I can only hope to continue to strive to have it (as well as give it) in my life.
I loved Elder Holland's testimony of the Book of Mormon! It was bold and forthright. It is true. The Book of Mormon IS God's word! It IS Another Testament of Jesus Christ! And I KNOW that I have, personally, come closer to God and Jesus Christ by reading it. I LOVE the peace it offers, the truth it gives, and the change it brings in my life and the life of my family. I echo Elder Hollands testimony that IT IS TRUE! It was written for OUR time by prophets of God who knew about and testified of the Living Christ!
Many other talks touched my heart too. I enjoyed Elder Renlund's about heart surgery and how we need to be continually and consistently doing the little things AFTER our change of heart to stay on the straight and narrow path, to continue in the way of Christ.
What a wonderful weekend! Last evening as we read scriptures I asked my children what they loved most about General Conference. Here is what I got:
Jordan: A lot of talks were about service. And I liked Elder Holland's boldness.
Spencer: I loved how President Monson, the Prophet, told of the service the people all around the world did for his birthday.
Kelsey: I loved the candy bar story and when President Monson told of all the things the children did.


Cody: Hmmmmm.....he did sing the songs he knew and enjoyed watching as the Prophet walked off the stage and spoke to the 3 young men.
And so....the weekend wouldn't be complete without scriptures -- my own personal reading. I read the Words of Mormon. Amazing to me that he had SO many records to review and through the gift and power of God was able to abridge them into one book, The Book of Mormon, that has EVERYTHING in it of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, as well as the experiences needed that are most pertinent to my life today.
I read about how King Benjamin's day wasn't all easy. I don't think I ever thought about it much, but it says he labored with everything he had to bring about peace....with his whole "faculty." I know from reading on that his people choose to follow to the Savior and are the ones who have a "mighty change of heart" - with "no more disposition to do evil." I thought about how hard he must have worked and that I need to work that hard too with MY family with a hope that someday they will each have a "mighty change of heart" with "no more disposition to do evil." Right now it seems like a long way off....and I wondered if King Benjamin ever laid down exhausted at night wondering if all his work would one day pay off. It did...and even in his lifetime. This gives me hope in my efforts in motherhood.
It led me to a cross reference in 1 Nephi 15:25 where Nephi is laboring with all the faculty of his soul. But the verse above (verse 24) struck me as Elder Holland's bold testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon was still fresh in my mind.
Well, the feeling of General Conference is still lingering in me and I am grateful for that. I will be re-watching them as I fold clothes!
1 comment:
I love how you can talk about your wonderful weekend and how much you were touched by the conference talks and your scriptures in the midst of all the other things going on in our lives. It gives me strength to read your blog, to know of some things that are hard, and to know of things that are hard for me too right now - and how you are able to continue to see the good in all. I want to be just like you when I grow up. You are my hero!
Post a Comment