Thursday, November 5, 2009

Leaves, Leaves, and MORE Leaves!

Oh what do you do in the Fall time
When all the leaves fall down?
Do you rake piles of leaves
Run and jump into to them
As the leaves continue falling down?

Is that what you do....? So do I!

Yesterday Cody was home sick. Really he wasn't very sick, but he had a fever the afternoon/evening before so he couldn't go to school. The same thing happened for today. So this is what became of our day....LEAVES! The same thing happened for today....LOTS of leaves in our yard!



But my excitement of yesterday (really...of the week) was installing my own door handle. For the last while our sliding van doors have been busted. The passenger side wouldn't even open so the kids were filing out the front passenger door when getting out at their schools. The driver side sliding door worked, but only opened from the inside. What a mess!

When I initially found out about it I went to the dealership to check out prices. YIKES! I know they have to make a living, but jeepers. They wanted to charge me $105 per door handle, then 2 hours labor on top of that. A grand total of $369. NO WAY!

Have I mentioned that I HATE paying people to do things that I can figure out on my own? Well, it is true!!!

I found some door handles online for $25 a piece. With S&H I spent $65. They sat on my counter top for awhile until I had a nice day with nothing pressing to do and the gumption to dive in. I had already checked online about how to install them. Mostly is sounded pretty straight forward. I figured if I could take the door panel off and see how it was "supposed" to look then I would be ok. Sure enough....a bit of tight quarters for my hands, some grease, and grit and I was done. I even figured out how to undo the child lock from the inside of the door. It stinks when it gets turned on and you can't open the door from the outside.

Anyhow....one measly hour later I was done with BOTH doors. And the dealership wanted to charge me for 2! I may have to have a word with them next time they want to charge me an arm and a leg.

I was sooooo excited I had to take pictures.

The inside of the door panel (above and below). Now what in the world am I going to do?
The finished product....looks great, doesn't it!!!!

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Wow, so proud of you Denise! I love figuring stuff out like this as well as feeling like I saved some serious cash. That is awesome! Now you can charge someone else an arm and a leg :)

Anonymous said...

That is totally impressive. But I'm totally not surprised that YOU figured it out! :)

Lynda said...

You always amaze me at all your abilities and talents. Surely you must take after your mother! Love you

LynnEl Springer said...

Have I told you how amazing you are? You are amazing! We all need to take lessons from you! Amazing!

And yes, I had a TERRIFIC class today - from the master of Machine Quilting - not even longarm quilting either - Harriet Hargrave! Did I mention that it was terrific? It totally was! I get to go back tomorrow for some more! Yeah me!