Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Change of Heart

I have been fairly overwhelmed with all that I have on my plate lately. Rightly so...maybe, but still it has bothered me that ... one, I allow SO much to be placed on my plate, and ... two, that I actually get overwhelmed with it at times. Most recently it is the "How am I going to go back to school AND be a mom and a....and a...and a...and a...?" You get the idea. Despite all the worry I do know that I will be ok. But today as I was driving down the road it hit me very hard. I don't think I was really thinking about all the miles I will be driving or the homework, etc. but it came nonetheless. I realized that I feel now sort of like I felt right before having my first child. I was happy and anxious and worried and overwhelmed at taking care of a new life and more excited than I felt humanly possible and all that back then. Amazingly, I feel VERY MUCH the same today - and recently. Then the two moments converged into one and I realized that just like child birth, millions of women who are busy moms have gone back to school and many more will later on. They are alive and all is well with them. And so it will be with me.

It is funny how realizations and answers and peace come! Sometimes softly, sometimes while seeking it, sometimes at weird moments, and most times in a way that is completely different than I would expect.

I am grateful for a scripture one of the missionaries shared with us this last week. It has been on my mind since that very moment:

D&C 64:33
Wherefore, be not aweary in bwell-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of csmall things proceedeth that which is great.

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

I am glad you feel peace. I know you can do it, but it will definitely be tough. And I don't think you should beat yourself up for feeling overwhelmed. You have TONS on your plate and may need a lot more help than usual, but that's ok! That's what your family and friends are here for!