I used to have just one or two favorites....then they would pass away and my heart would break. I would wish I had taken the time to tell them how much our conversations meant. I used to think I'd send a card...but I am HORRIBLE at sending cards. So I would feel badly....and not like that.
Now I just tell them up front...I think you are the greatest. I really appreciate our conversations. I love visiting you, even though you can't hear me. I love being a bright spot in their day...period. But it makes it SO much easier because many times they are a bright spot in MY day.
And so....in April or May I found out that one of the ladies I deliver to was turning 100 in August...Aug 21st to be exact. I couldn't wait. I knew she was having a huge surprise party and everything. In the years of delivering I have enjoyed getting to know her...how she used to cut hair, how she used to deliver Meals on Wheels, how her father owned all the land and named the street after her and the lake after her sister, ETC ETC ETC. She is neat. If there were some place I would love to live, it is right where she lives. Her picture window overlooks the lake and it is peaceful and beautiful.
So last month I told her I'd be coming RIGHT AFTER her birthday. I'd never met someone that was 100 before - at least I don't think I have anyway. I have heard and known they exist (just heard last night that a friend's husband's grandmother is 105) but never met one in person.
This past Wednesday I delivered again and was itching with excitement to sing Happy Birthday to my friend. I hope that I live a long time and that I influence a lot of people along the way, as my friend has.
3 comments:
How you find time to do all you do is just amazing!!! I love you.
I had no idea that you did that. That is awesome. I think you are so amazing for all that you do and all that you know. I am so glad your my sister and that I can always count on you for anything. I love you!
That is an awesome picture of you with your 100 year old friend!! She looks so great! And of course, you look terrific in your Soak up the Son t-shirt and camp garb!! :) So fun!
Post a Comment