While serving my mission in the Canada Halifax Mission I one time spoke to the Stake President’s wife (from the St. John New Brunswick Stake) about her conversion to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My question, what made the difference? Her answer, TENACITY! The tenacity of the missionaries. From that time on I began to think about tenacity and what it meant and if I possessed such a quality. I quickly found that I believed that I did!!!
After looking up the definition online
1.
holding fast; characterized by keeping a firm hold (often followed by of ): a tenacious grip on my arm; tenacious of old habits.
2.
highly retentive: a tenacious memory.
3.
4.
adhesive or sticky; viscous or glutinous.
5.
holding together; cohesive; not easily pulled asunder; tough.
I think maybe I actually do. I like that I am tenacious. I like that I have a bit of "holding fast" qualities in my life. When I looked it up in the thesaurus I was pleased to see some pretty cool words. My new favorite word means "fearlessness." The word is CHUTZPAH! What a cool word!
Take for instance a couple instances of this week.
Last summer I visited SIU and spoke with Pat McNeil, Asst Dean to the Graduate School. What a fabulous woman! I instantly fell in love and gained a great relationship. Although she couldn't offer me money for the 2010-11 year she told me to apply the next year. Of course, she also let me know that they usually choose a 1st year Master's student, and I will be a 2nd year doctoral student. That didn't deter me. I was set on a course and nothing could stop me...not even a NO!
I knew the deadline was in February. I had the 15th on my mind as the due date. I happened to pick up the application on the 11th and found it was due THAT DAY! I got it all finished and faxed it in. The next week I spoke with the Dept Chair so she could nominate me. She waited, like me, til the last moment. While she was filling it out she noticed something about reference letters. I hadn't seen ANYTHING about that and was heartsick! Surely I couldn't have overlooked something and because I did I would lose the opportunity at the Graduate Dean's Fellowship. Well, her first answer to my "isn't there ANYTHING I can do?" was NO! I asked for the 2nd and 3rd answer...both the same as the first, NO! I was so bummed I could hardly think straight. But ... I don't usually take no for an answer....where there is a will there is a way. I emailed Miss Pat to say that I was sorry (you see, I had been by to see her the week before and she had alluded to the possibility of me being awarded the prestigious award - so don't give up on it yet) that this had happened. She immediately called the Dept Chair to explain. I felt bad to have done that hoping it didn't make my Dept Chair fell badly, but was getting the ball rolling (or keeping it rolling). I told the other Administrative Asst in the office about it and she laughed....saying she would be a bit frustrated with me for not just taking no for an answer!
But....that is how I usually end up getting all that I have in this life....tenacity!
Fast forward to Wednesday.
I got the Graduate Dean's Fellowship!!!!! I thought about if I had just taken no for an answer. I thought about how I would have NOT gotten the award if that had been the case. Others may scoff at my tenacity, but....I got it (and it's not the first time tenacity has been the deciding factor in my life).
So this Fall I will be fully funded (Sept-July) with a stipend and full tuition. Though that would have been the case without the Fellowship, with it I don't have to work. That will be a blessing. I'll actually be able to study. I am so excited. I think it really hit me when the Dept Chair was so excited for me. She told me that it really is a prestigious honor and that I must have really made an impression on Pat McNeil. It made me feel good. Professors in the Dept would come into the office just to congratulate me. My friends were likewise excited. My husband too. But the phone call that I will hopefully never forget was to my mom. She was so proud of me and I just wanted to cry! Though I am not a little girl anymore in my mom's arms I still love to feel as though I am! Thanks, MOM!!!
So...being tenacious isn't all bad. It isn't just pestering until you get your way but rather working until you do. Well, not just getting your "way" as much as working until things work out. I just purchased my ticket to Vienna for my Study Abroad this summer. I had checked out a million different sites and a million different dates...or so it seemed. How early should I leave? How late should I stay? I want to take advantage of my one and only time to travel to Europe but I don't want to be away from my family forever either. So...I had two windows open that I was choosing between. Scott and I both decided I'd leave a day early and come back a couple days late. That would give me time to settle in and sight see a bit...and then do the same on the tail end as well. Click...it was done. I was shaking I was so excited. Until I read the itinerary the second time in my email inbox. I had chosen the stay only 1 (instead of 2) day later. No biggie...but staying 2 days was the exact same price. I was bummed for a bit...thought about it (as I had with the Grad Dean's Fellowship) and then made a phone call. Because it was booked within 24 hours I could cancel with a full refund and just re-book the new flight (which, thankfully, was the same price STILL).
While I talked to my mom about receiving the Grad Dean's award, she told me that things just always fall into place and work out for me. It is true! I don't hesitate to give credit where credit is due...and it isn't to ME. I know that these instances are blessings from my loving Father in Heaven. They are tender mercies, placed and timed strategically, to let me know I am traveling in the right direction. As I thougth about what she said I realized that 'God helps those who help themselves.' I am glad that I don't give up, that I never take no for an answer (at least not the first time...or without giving it my ALL), that I work with CHATZPAH and work until things work out for me and then leave it in the hands of God! He can, and does, make so much more of my life than I could ever even TRY to!
So...grateful to be tenacious! Grateful to love hard work. Grateful for the blessings that seem to be coming my way lately because of it all!
*************************************
This is where I go to school and work. Before they hired another Admin Asst I worked on the 3rd floor those 1st set of 3 windows to the right of the tree. That was my huge and wonderful office. Now I still work in the office, but have no windows! Oh well....
So, I am blessed. What more can I say?!!!
2 comments:
Yes, you are blessed! And I am blessed to have you as a daughter..the one I go to for advise both physically and spiritually. The one I am always happy to spend time with and talk to, my first born. I love you!!!
What a cool story!! You are blessed because you are trying to do what is right. It will be hard being away from your family for the summer, but good things will come of it I'm sure.
Post a Comment