Yeah, there's NO turning back now! I finally went to the eye doctor this past Monday. I went in nearly knowing he'd say I need bi-focals....and I felt like I was ok with that. However, when he said it...I WASN'T. I have NEVER cared about how old I am getting on each consecutive birthday....I'm 43 (44 in a month my children remind me) and really don't care that everyone in the world knows. I surely don't feel 18 anymore, but nor do I feel 30. But I do remember quite vividly remembering when 20 was O.L.D.!!!!!
But my eyes are getting worse....I can tell. I can tell in the classroom looking at the board and squinting that all too familiar squint of yesteryear. And I no longer use my glasses to read...I prefer to have them OFF when I read. So, it really comes as no surprise to me. The only surprise was how it made me feel to hear the Dr say the words.
And now I have the horrible no good awful task of picking out glasses! I wish I weren't frugal to a tee - then it would be EASY. I'd buy the 2 or 3 I like the most. I'd have one for this occasion and one for that one. But I am quite conscious of that money thing and so I search. And then there's the difficult part of not being able to see without them....so when I put them on I am so dang close to that mirror that I don't get the right effect. I show friends and think I have one picked out...then another friend says another one. What to do? I'm sure the hard part has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that soon I'll have entered that stage where I wear bi-focals like my mother. My sister bought me a little plaque once that says, "Oh no! I'm turning into my mother!" Kelsey asked me if this is how I feel with this bi-focal thing. Yep!
Not that my mom is someone I don't want to turn into....just not until I am her age (which, incidentally, I will NEVER be.....she will ALWAYS be older than me).
But after nearly a week I think passing this point of no return is setting just a little easier inside me. If and when I EVER finally choose a new pair....I'll try to remember to post pics. My mind is slowly going too.
2 comments:
the joys of getting older! :)
Holy Cow!! You are SO OLD!! (Just kidding...I'm less than 2 years behind you!) But seriously, Bifocals?? Wow. Condolences, my friend.
Post a Comment