As I sat in church today I looked over at Jordan...sitting a chair away from the nearest sibling. He had passed the sacrament and headed back to our row. I couldn't believe the wave of emotions I felt as I looked at him. I had noticed him singing while up at the sacrament table. I noticed him singing again while in our row. This is a truly amazing young man! He is growing up. It has been a long time since I was taller than him, but now he is not only taller that I am, but growing into a fine and amazing young man. He went to EFY at BYU and then just recently to Youth Conference. These events have changed him, I think.
I look at him and remember the newborn, the toddler, and young child Jordan. As Spencer and Cody hung on me during the meeting I remembered a time when Jordan sought for my every moment's attention, when he was the one hanging on me. I miss that. Where did that little boy go? I hope he still knows and feels my love for him.
Spencer, too, is growing up. I look at him and see the wheels turning in his head. He is a smart boy and has an enthusiasm for life that is almost contagious. His exuberance is seen in his every move. This excitement began at birth, it seems. I remember his round little face with that huge (and sometimes mischievous smile). He is one with the outdoors. He has long said that the backyard is basically his. This past weekend he went on an 11 yr old campout with his dad. I wished I could be there with him as he had so much fun in the great outdoors. I love that about him...it's like me, and that makes me smile. He got a new knife and a new compass that glows in the dark. He's set now.
It is hard to believe how much he is changing...his face, his voice will be soon to follow, and I just have this feeling it won't be long til he sprouts up taller than me. I'm proud of him, of his sensitive heart, and I love to listen to how excited he gets about the books he is reading. I really think he'll be in drama...he has voices for all the characters in his books and shares their stories. I love walking and talking with him about it.
And Kelsey...hard to believe she is becoming a young woman. I recently read my sister's blog where her daughter turned 2. As I looked at the pics I saw Kelsey not so long ago...or so it seems. I vividly remember that cute little girl..oh, how I remember. And now she is growing quickly into a mature young lady. She loves to read. Recently she has been walking with me in the mornings. These are fun times where walking and talking is something I have dreamed about for a long time. She is becoming my best friend and I love it.
I am her coach this year in softball. It is fun to watch her excel and enjoy the greatest sport of my life! In the quiet moments of life it is fun to talk to her and see her take on the world. She is compassionate and loves little children. Today in Sac Mtg one of the toddlers walked up to our row and went straight to Kelsey. She loves the little children and they love her. It is fun to watch that. As I sat and watched her I thought of what I was like at that age. Frankly, I don't remember. But at 9 I'm pretty sure my life was filled with swimming and baseball/softball!!!!
And then there is Cody. Any baby picture of any of the children he thinks is him. Funny boy! He is really coming into his own and I love his personality. He is loving and kind. Lately he has been coming to me and saying, "I love you more than a cow." I'm not sure how to take that. Then he'll say, "I love you more than ice cream." I like that one MUCH better.
His smile as he plays baseball is priceless. I took a picture at his game recently of his tongue out. It reminded me of me....as I watch him I see so much goodness, so much freshness for life, so much innocence. He loves computer games, iPod games, Wii games...and he's good at them. But he's great at outdoor games too. He's got a good knack for sports. We'll see as time goes on.
I just can't believe how fast the time goes. I love these kids of mine. Sure, they drive me crazy sometimes...but for the most part I am in awe of their goodness. They teach me daily and I feel such a responsibility to be good for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment